Which Shocks? New Ubolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stock fj40, doing frame off, will use it on the road to tow my duck boat .

Doing a shackle reversal which will lift the front about 2", going to lift the rear with 2.5" over size shackles to compensate.  Just took off and trashed the shocks that were on.  Anyone have suggestions on what shocks for the front and rear?  Will do most of my driving on the road so handling and ride will be important, will not be doing any rock crawling.

Also, any opinion on re-using the u-bolts or should I just cut them off and buy new, on second thought I just answered my own question.  If I have to ask, then get new ones.

BTW: since I have the axles off should I go ahead and re-gasket everything?  Right now everything is tight with out leaks.

Thanks

Straylight

Re: Which Springs? New Ubolts?

best ride = OME
highest price = OME

Softride Skyjackers are also smooth in their 2.5 height, really most manuf's are smoother riding in the 2.5 lift range since the arch isn't as high, and high arch is the first killer of a smooth ride. Most spring lift kits come with new u-bolts and bushings, but won't come with frame-side shackle bushings to be prepared to replace those.

I don't replace gaskets that don't leak. :G

Soft riding shocks = Doetsch Tech DT3000's...you can order p/n's thru SummitRacing but will need to plug in the numbers direct since they don't have a listing online. Use the spreadsheet in the tech links to help determine part numbers.

Also might consider buying a premium auto parts shock like Gabriel's or Monroes. They usually have great road manners for a decent price. I have also heard a lot of praises for the Doetsch Tech shocks. Especially from Woody :G

In addition to everything everybody has mentioned, check out Bilstein 5100's, I run them on my tacoma and am very pleased with them. The "Billy's"(Bilsteins) have great road manners but will limit articulation some what, but since your not planning on doing much 4 wheeling that's not a big deal.

i'm running the rancho 9000's (adjustable) and they are pretty nice. if i was going to do it over i'd run the rancho 5000's. they are a pretty smooth ride, and not to pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom