Which LC to buy 1998-2002? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if a test has been conducted on the viability of the VSC and ATRAC systems on a Cruiser that has a lift, larger tires, ARB in the front and the rear etc..

I would not be surprised if a truck like that would just roll over when parked.

Now that my friends is unsafe.

Sweet, sweet sarcasm....

I don't think many people will argue that for a vehicle driven on the road these computerized safety features save "more" lives. However, there are millions of vehicles on the road without any of these features and we are not all dead yet! I have a 2000 with all the "fancy computerized stuff" and I'm happy. However, if I had found a clean well documented 98/99 when I was looking, I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat! Maybe it would have rolled, blown up, jumped off a cliff or something, but I would have bought it. To each his own. Find the nicest, cleanest well documented LC/LX you can find that you can afford. You won't regret whichever one you purchase... :flipoff2::beer::grinpimp:

Beat me to it! Because a vehicle does not have some special electronic features does not mean the vehicle is unsafe. If a vehicle DOES have some of these features, it may make it a little more safer serious "emergency situations". But not then, does the vehicle with no features become unsafe. :bounce:

So, you keep stating how the 100 tipped on 2 wheels and almost rolled over

*It tipped on to two wheels. There was even a photo of it.

*I never said it "almost rolled over".

Because a vehicle does not have some special electronic features does not mean the vehicle is unsafe.

Correct. It just means that it is less safe (just like non-ABS vehicles). And some models are much less safe without VSC/DSC due to their design.

SUV's and pickup trucks are the two types that roll over most frequently. Of them, the Toyota Land Cruiser 98-99 and Isuzu Trooper were the worst. (The first year out on the last Trooper series until Isuzu made a suspension change and then it didn't tip on to two wheels. Don't remember if DSC was added or not.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. It just means that it is less safe (just like non-ABS vehicles). And some models are much less safe without VSC/DSC due to their design.

SUV's and pickup trucks are the two types that roll over most frequently. Of them, the Toyota Land Cruiser 98-99 and Isuzu Trooper were the worst. (The first year out on the last Trooper series until Isuzu made a suspension change and then it didn't tip on to two wheels. Don't remember if DSC was added or not.)

I thought you were going to buy a 200 series? They make our 100 series look like a major deathtrap with all the new safety features they offer...crawl control, hill start assist control, tire pressure monitor system, kinetic dynamic suspension system, etc! You better buy one soon before you roll the "Rock Limo!" :idea:

SUV's and pickup trucks are the two types that roll over most frequently. Of them, the Toyota Land Cruiser 98-99 and Isuzu Trooper were the worst.

Wrong again. Can you please stop spreading misinformation? The only 3 deemed UNSAFE/UNACCEPTABLE by CR were the 88 Samurai, 96 Trooper, and 01 Montero Limited. Those are "the worst" according to CR.

Surprisingly, in the same article that tested and did not recommend the 99 LC, they instead recommend you buy the Ford Explorer.

Rich

Well I crashed a 98 that was lifted with big tires and had it up on two tires. I brought it down, went over an embankment, popped three tires, and bent the frame. It DID NOT ROLL OVER and after I came to a stop, I climbed out the passenger side and surveyed the damage. Then said my prayers and thanked the good Lord that I was driving a Land Cruiser and not a Ford Explorer.
I've been in an accident in a 98, and after all that, I bought a 99 because I wanted a rear locker. Tell me it's unsafe? I walked away from it without a scratch and I don't read CR anyway because they recomend exploders.

Buy what you want and can afford. It doesn't matter if you have all the bells and whistles when some drunk comes out of nowhere and t-bones your drivers door. It might help to VSC in some conditions, but they can't make the world idiot proof.

Hmmm... number five seems to be a touchy subject... lots of opinions. I'll try to check mine at the virtual door...

EBD: straight from a Toyota site. A sophisticated electronic system designed to minimise stopping distances by maximising braking power to the wheels with the most grip. It replaces the conventional load sensing proportioning valve. The latest Toyota EBD can adjust the fore/aft brake balance according to vehicle load and the right/left brake balance if the brakes are applied during cornering.

VSC: click the link for a well done video

A-TRAC: From SAE site. Active-TRAC (A-TRAC) is the system for off-road 4WD vehicles. This system consists of independent four wheel brake control system and engine torque control system. This system applies the brake to any spinning wheel, and sends torque to the other wheels with grip. Therefore, the vehicle gets strong LSD(Limited Slip Differential) effect, and it has the same traction performance as a center and rear differential locked vehicle. Because the vehicle with A- TRAC does not have a differential locking mechanism, it no longer has the phenomenon of tight corner braking, and it frees a driver from operating the differential locking system. Therefore anyone can easily enjoy off-road driving with A-TRAC.

And before I get flamed for the A-TRAC portion... it is what the SAE has posted; my disclaimer is that A-TRAC performance is not the same as locking diffs, the performance is different. Each has their strength and weakness. Personally I plan to put lockers on to go with my A-TRAC at some point, then I choose (best of both).

Sorry but...I don't even take CR's advice for a toaster let alone a high end vehicle like an LC. They are a little out of their league on that one :rolleyes:.

Hmmm... number five seems to be a touchy subject... lots of opinions. I'll try to check mine at the virtual door...

EBD: straight from a Toyota site. A sophisticated electronic system designed to minimise stopping distances by maximising braking power to the wheels with the most grip. It replaces the conventional load sensing proportioning valve. The latest Toyota EBD can adjust the fore/aft brake balance according to vehicle load and the right/left brake balance if the brakes are applied during cornering.

VSC: click the link for a well done video

A-TRAC: From SAE site. Active-TRAC (A-TRAC) is the system for off-road 4WD vehicles. This system consists of independent four wheel brake control system and engine torque control system. This system applies the brake to any spinning wheel, and sends torque to the other wheels with grip. Therefore, the vehicle gets strong LSD(Limited Slip Differential) effect, and it has the same traction performance as a center and rear differential locked vehicle. Because the vehicle with A- TRAC does not have a differential locking mechanism, it no longer has the phenomenon of tight corner braking, and it frees a driver from operating the differential locking system. Therefore anyone can easily enjoy off-road driving with A-TRAC.

And before I get flamed for the A-TRAC portion... it is what the SAE has posted; my disclaimer is that A-TRAC performance is not the same as locking diffs, the performance is different. Each has their strength and weakness. Personally I plan to put lockers on to go with my A-TRAC at some point, then I choose (best of both).

I agree: Both lockers and TRAC/ATRAC would be great. And a switch to be able to turn off TRAC/ATRAC should it be necessary.

According to Toyota, the 2000 model was the first Land Cruisers to have the A-Trac or Active Traction Control. These models also have VSC standard as well. The A-TRAC applies the brakes to the slipping wheel which makes the non turning wheel move instead. It acts like ABS in reverse. Kinda like have a set of automatic lockers in both axles. You can add lockers to the 2000 model and the A-TRAC will still function the same.

Also the 2000 model has a center locking diff. You can find them between the $11500 and $13000 range depending on the miles and region you live in.

Last edited:
they all have the CDL, and I thought only the new 200s came with the Hillstart ****.

There is a form of it equipped on the Land Cruiser. You are right about the 200 series having it but it has been incorporated on the 4 Runner (which also had down hill assist) and Land Cruiser before the 200 series. The 200 series has an awesome version of it is now stated as such.
Go find a hill and and drive up a bit and stop. Depress the brake for a few secs and see if you roll backwards. Like I said there is a version on the 100 series.

There is a form of it equipped on the Land Cruiser.
Go find a hill and and drive up a bit and stop. Depress the brake for a few secs and see if you roll backwards. Like I said there is a version on the 100 series.

My 100 will roll backwards in that scenario and every time. Anybody else?

mine will roll back if its anything more then a tiny incline. All automatic transmissions(at least what ive driven) will hold on a slight incline, while the specific Hillstart will actually hold it on steep stuff.

mine will roll back if its anything more then a tiny incline. All automatic transmissions(at least what ive driven) will hold on a slight incline, while the specific Hillstart will actually hold it on steep stuff.

Right on. Sorry about that it was released on the 2003 4Runner and the GX470 according to ToyotaNation.com.

Last edited:
Well, everyone's right and everyone's wrong. Here's the article. It did "lift two wheels slightly", but "never threatened to tip". And there's no photograph of it on two wheels. Interesting that at higher speeds, rather than tip it would spin out - I'd prefer that to tipping over.
CR Cruiser.JPG

Well, everyone's right and everyone's wrong. Here's the article. It did "lift two wheels slightly", but "never threatened to tip". And there's no photograph of it on two wheels. Interesting that at higher speeds, rather than tip it would spin out - I'd prefer that to tipping over.

Hats off to you for posting this! I think the picture came in 2001. They did a mini article on how the 2001 with VSC improved the handling and how they could then recommend the LC. In that mini post I think was a pic of the 1999 on two slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom