Which diesel swap should I do?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a rust free 85 FJ60 to swap a diesel into but I'm on a very tight budget . I was going to look for a BJ60 and swap the drivetrain into the FJ but I also have an HJ60 sitting in my yard with a cracked ring .I see I can buy a rebuild kit for it for about $1500.The HJ drivetrain is in great shape except for the ring problem. Do you think I'd be better off to rebuild the 2H or look for a BJ60 donor vehicle? I'm sure a BJ donor would have high miles and would need rebuilding at some point too though.The HJ didn't have a lot of power and I'm sure the 3B is worse but I could turbo it later on. It is my wifes daily driver and our family backroad explorer.
Any advice would be appreciated, Pete :confused:

I'd find a 12H-T engine only if you can. Maybe G&Scruiserparts or maybe a Japanese engine importer. The rebuild is not worth it.
Personally I've got NO problem with the 3B power.

Wherlwind said:
I have a rust free 85 FJ60 to swap a diesel into but I'm on a very tight budget .
Any advice would be appreciated, Pete :confused:

I dont see any problem with rebuilding the 2H if it can be done properly I believe some 2H have sleeved cyl and some do not.
That may affect the result of the rebuild.
I would explore the possibilties of what you already have.

Anything but a 2H or 12HT will require another gearbox as well

If the 2H rebuild becomes unfeasible then move onto your next option.

One of these babies: 1994 Toyota 1HZ/H55

You can get them from Sheldon or Greg at G&S Cruiser parts: G&S Cruiser parts

picture.JPG

You can get them cheaper than the 1HD's and turbo'd they make more
power. If you need help with any part of the install you can talk to Rob Lassman at Radd cruisers. Radd Cruisers

The guy does awesome work and is very knowlegable with diesel conversions.

picture.JPG

you can sleeve the 2H if need be.
you can get a rebuild kit from OZ at Geoff Walsh engiens for about $1000 or less
a rebuilt 2H will put out quite decent power and you might be happy enough with out a turbo.
the 2H is an easier swap
you have the 2H sitting there.

to me, since you are on a budget, i would strongly suggest going with what you have handy.

cheers

Oops, let me make an adjustment, and an appology. Along with Rob Lassman Mr. Wayne too does great work with engine installations and all around diesel custom work. Either way you're in good hands. I still say the 1HZ is the way to go.

for budget reasons I'd stick with the 2H and rebuild it
the kits are around a $1000 and change, machining cost could add up quick so you should probably have the engine taken apart and inspected
everything else will just swap over from your HJ60
the swap is easy to do as are most diesel conversions
A complete running BJ60 would be my next choice. Swap everything over and you're still 12 volts.
you'll have lots of spare parts but you would also have a lot of possible expenses like injectors, clutch, gaskets and seals, no knowledge of internal engine condition (pre-cups) and tranny/t-case issues.
it's only money though!

I must need to make a total rebuild on my 2H only after 447,746 km .. but if you 2H have a good condition and low km /m that better for your wallet.

In my case, I bought all, from oil pump gears, to valves .. and runs great.

The machining costs is the reason I figured a rebuild wouldn't be worth it. I'm also basing the engine cost on what I can get one for here which is $2000 for a Japanese takeout 3B of 1990 vintage or newer c/w all engine mounted accessories.

ummm, 3B went out of production in 1989...

machining will set you back about $800 max, so you have 1800 into parts and some of your IH8MUD time spent in the garage...
;^)

crushers said:
ummm, 3B went out of production in 1989...

machining will set you back about $800 max, so you have 1800 into parts and some of your IH8MUD time spent in the garage...
;^)

Wayne, do you have a serial number vs. year chart available? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they was telling me stories :)
Does the '89 date also apply to the 3BII (rotary injection pump) 'cause that is what I saw?

I think I'm going to rebuild the 2H. I'm waiting for a quote on having the short block done and assembled for me. I'll disassemble whatever I can to save some money but don't trust myself to assemble it . I think I can re and re the top end myself easily enough. I wasn't planning on doing anything to the head except for new bolts etc. It does make sense to use this engine since I have most of the parts on hand and know what condition they are in. Do you think I am cheaping out too much by not doing the head while it's off? What would that be worth? It's got 350km on it. I really don't have much to spend on this and just want my dependable diesel back in the least expensive way possible.
Where is the best place to get a rebuild kit for this engine? I think it will have to bored over won't it? 2Hs aren't sleeved are they? Pete

Rebuild kit from Geoff Walsh Engine parts in Australia. Do a Google search and you'll find them. While it's open I'd do the head. If you need to bore it out I'd tear it down first and have the machine shop tell you what size over pistons etc. you need.

Wherlwind said:
I think I'm going to rebuild the 2H. I'm waiting for a quote on having the short block done and assembled for me. I'll disassemble whatever I can to save some money but don't trust myself to assemble it . I think I can re and re the top end myself easily enough. I wasn't planning on doing anything to the head except for new bolts etc. It does make sense to use this engine since I have most of the parts on hand and know what condition they are in. Do you think I am cheaping out too much by not doing the head while it's off? What would that be worth? It's got 350km on it. I really don't have much to spend on this and just want my dependable diesel back in the least expensive way possible.
Where is the best place to get a rebuild kit for this engine? I think it will have to bored over won't it? 2Hs aren't sleeved are they? Pete

I know your budgets tight but if you put an old head on a new motor the increased compression will cause the old head to deteriorate quickly.

If you really want the best out of the new motor ,a pump service and injector rebuild should also be done.

You said you have a nice FJ60 ,so it deserves having it done right,maybe put it on the backburner and get a beater for a few months.
Its probably going to take a whole lot longer than you think anyway,I know:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom