Which CJV axle for mild lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which CVJ axle should I get if I have a simple 1" coil over type lift. I have the Bilstein 6112 ride height adjustable coil-over setup in the front. This really is not a lift as all it does is move up the ride height within the stock travel. They have a "No Lift - Stock Angle" option and a "Lifted - Moderate Angle" option. Which is the one I want? Does that larger boot with the "Lifted - Moderate Angle" rub on anything if I only have the coil overs?

Either would work, I would probably do the lifted ones myself.

Whichever you get I suggest getting the one marked "best" because the better boots really are better.

Those are some very expensive axles at nearly $270/each. A much cheaper option would be to re-boot your stock axles with a set of All-Pro high-angle boots (around $130 for both axles). The OEM axles are excellent quality and should last hundreds of thousands of miles as long as the boots are promptly replaced. CVJ lists a 1-5 year life expectancy for their boots, I'm closing in on 2 years for my All-Pro boots and they are doing just fine. I'm up around 2.5-3" in the front without a diff drop and wheel my GX often.

I’d buy my own OEM boots and send them in. CVJ uses cheap boots. The shop is near me, been there a few times for a few vehicles. They are competent, but their boots appear to be the same trash you get at auto zone, and their high angle kits, while marginally better, take a bunch of adjusting to get set correctly on the vehicle once installed. OEM boots are night and day different in quality.

Those are some very expensive axles at nearly $270/each. A much cheaper option would be to re-boot your stock axles with a set of All-Pro high-angle boots (around $130 for both axles). The OEM axles are excellent quality and should last hundreds of thousands of miles as long as the boots are promptly replaced. CVJ lists a 1-5 year life expectancy for their boots, I'm closing in on 2 years for my All-Pro boots and they are doing just fine. I'm up around 2.5-3" in the front without a diff drop and wheel my GX often.
Red did you buy individual boots or a package?

Red did you buy individual boots or a package?
You can order them as a package from Summit Racing or directly from All Pro.

I’d buy my own OEM boots and send them in. CVJ uses cheap boots. The shop is near me, been there a few times for a few vehicles. They are competent, but their boots appear to be the same trash you get at auto zone, and their high angle kits, while marginally better, take a bunch of adjusting to get set correctly on the vehicle once installed. OEM boots are night and day different in quality.

They are expensive ($328) but the timing of this repair is not allowing me to do it myself. Otherwise I might take the time and reboot it. I ordered the expensive CVJs with their RED differential side boot and the OEM wheel side boot. Again I am only "lifted" about 1-1.5 inches in the front.

The axle that failed was actually a CARDONE 665235HD. This is the CARDONE axle with a Heavy Duty Thermoplastic outboard boot, as taken directly from Rock Auto. For what it's worth this axle lasted almost 3 years, not bad for $74.79! I still have the OEM axle, it has been sitting in my garage for those 3 years. I did not send that back to Rockauto as a core. I am glad I did because CVJ only takes OEM cores, I would be out another $175 if I did not save it.

How the hell are they able to sell these thing for $75. There are also options on Rockauto for $36.79!

They are super-easy to re-boot per side, around 20 minutes more per axle than pulling and replacing them. You need a pair of these and these. I used to swap out the Cardone remans when the boots would rip yearly, but then started re-booting myself and will keep doing that when they inevitably rip again. Of course go with the CVJs if that's what you prefer, but it's not hard to do the reboot. I'm also not sure why CVJ's are so expensive compared to other options as they are using the same OEM Toyota cores as others and there is limited labor involved in the job to begin with.

The $75 Cardone remans are nothing more than a used OEM axle with some minor cleaning, new grease, and cheap new boots. So you're paying $75 for a few minutes of factory labor in Mexico and a few dollars in cheap grease/boots. If you put a better set of boots on the Cardone reman axles they'll be as good as any other axles due to the use of a OEM Toyota core.

The cheaper options are new Chinese axles that are known to be terrible.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if the guy understood me but I was just quoted from Lexus to re boot the 2 axles 1475.00 dollars. I asked if that was just to reboot the 2 cv axles again he said yes. No words for that.

I'll gladly reboot them for a discounted price of $1,375 :).

Most shops actually don't reboot them and just install reman or new axles.

I will say I ran the stock, most basic CV's from them for 4 years without issues. I did finally have a boot tear after I added a new lift and setup overall, but they still are fine other wise.

Earlier this year I ordered and got reman Toyota cv axles for $354 total from online Toyota dealer including a $150 core charge, no upfront tax, and free shipping.

If you have the time to pre-order, you can get them for Toyota and decide to keep the factory core ones as trail spares to reboot on your own free time.

Anyways, for a 2” lift and under…there’s no need for high angle boots. Those are for like 2.5” or more of lift.

Bell Lexus of North Scottsdale Arizona sells the reboot kits for like $60 per axle so $120 for the pair plus tax/shipping…I’ve seen them at that price on sale

Last edited:
Earlier this year I ordered and got reman Toyota cv axles for $354 total from online Toyota dealer including a $150 core charge, no upfront tax, and free shipping.

If you have the time to pre-order, you can get them for Toyota and decide to keep the factory core ones as trail spares to reboot on your own free time.

Anyways, for a 2” lift and under…there’s no need for high angle boots. Those are for like 2.5” or more of lift.

Bell Lexus of North Scottsdale Arizona sells the reboot kits for like $60 per axle so $120 for the pair plus tax/shipping…I’ve seen them at that price on sale
Are our gx470 axles the same ones for the 4Runner ? Would we try and source a 2005 4Runner axle for 2005 gx?

Are our gx470 axles the same ones for the 4Runner ? Would we try and source a 2005 4Runner axle for 2005 gx?
Yes, Toyota 4Runner axles fit. I’ve also heard gx460 for too, but double check that.

Here’s the part number I ordered from Fred

04/01/23 Fred Anderson Toyota
CV Axles Reman 434306008284
$101.69/each
CV Axle (Left, Right, Front); $150 Core Fee for both
$353.38 Total

Yes, Toyota 4Runner axles fit. I’ve also heard gx460 for too, but double check that.

Here’s the part number I ordered from Fred

04/01/23 Fred Anderson Toyota
CV Axles Reman 434306008284
$101.69/each
CV Axle (Left, Right, Front); $150 Core Fee for both
$353.38 Total
Wow that’s awesome for oem reman I would suppose. Putting this on the to do list with the suspension. Thanks for the info !

Looks like the 43430-60082-84 is now discontinued. From personal experience, I ordered two remans from Toyota for my '06 Land Cruiser, and they were both junk. One had the drive splines that were so worn, they clicked in the new drive flange. The other had a vibration and I couldn't get it to seal against the differential. When I went to warranty them, (this past September) they were shown as discontinued.

I have to assume Toyota had problems with all of their remanufactured axles, and due to issues with them, they decided to do away with un-Toyota-like issues and discontinue them. They weren't on the market that long at all.

I just went through this and had two chinese ones vibrate like hell, one from napa and one from carquest. The napa one vibrated so bad under load that I thought something had loosened in the suspension. I returned the napa one but it was too late to return the other one. I bought a set of moderate lift ones from CVJ and so far they are vibration free. I also noticed the inner splines popped right in to the diff whereas the china ones were a struggle. Not skimping on these next time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom