Which bluetooth stereo did you buy? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sony XAV-AX1000
IMG-4768.JPG

There are items you may also want to look at "while you are in there." For me, it was replacing the bulbs that lit up the climate control. I had a dark spot so I spent the time to open up the front face and replace any burned bulbs. Any new buttons you want to add? CDL comes to mind. Those kids of things.

Not my intention, but it sounds like i'm telling you spend more money. You can do it all at once, or on separate occasions. Just something to think about.

@Outsane Are you running an external GPS for Gaia Maps?

Good to see you guys are enjoying the Sony 1000; my 94 came with a Kenwood Android deck installed. I love the analog volume knob but want Carplay— this thread makes that choice easy.

Good to see you guys are enjoying the Sony 1000; my 94 came with a Kenwood Android deck installed. I love the analog volume knob but want Carplay— this thread makes that choice easy.

Yep, the knob and CarPlay is largely why I went with the Sony.

I picked up the ATOTO A6 Pro headunit off Amazon. It's based on the Android platform so it runs applications independently without a phone. You can download apps from the google play store. For example, I have the bluetooth TOYODB1 dongle which connects to this and shows real time ECT on my screen.

Installation was easy and I like the hands free motion sensor controls.

I picked up the ATOTO A6 Pro headunit off Amazon. It's based on the Android platform so it runs applications independently without a phone. You can download apps from the google play store. For example, I have the bluetooth TOYODB1 dongle which connects to this and shows real time ECT on my screen.

Installation was easy and I like the hands free motion sensor controls.
Can you stream music from your phone to this without screen mirroring?
If so, what app do you use?

I'm looking at replacing a Scion stereo with something better. I want to be able the dload apps from Google play. The Atoto looks interesting but doesn't have a volume knob. How well does the "hand gesture" thing work? Would the Sony rm-xs4 rotary commander work with this? Any other Android based units I should be looking at? TIA

Not really interested in Android Auto, I want to be able to run things like PLX gauge software, Avensa and my wifi backup cam.

Last edited:
Two questions for those with the Sony XAV-1000.

1. How does it handle usb devices? I like having a usb stick with my music on it but have found that most systems are terrible with them. Annoying things such as the fact you have to pick the folder number then the song number and sooner or later it gets around to displaying the name of the song.

2. What is this all about? (wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display))

I can't answer the first, but I did a firmware upgrade after installing mine and it doesn't need to have the brake engaged to use the display as far as I can tell. You just need a spare usb stick to put the firmware file on.

Two questions for those with the Sony XAV-1000.

1. How does it handle usb devices? I like having a usb stick with my music on it but have found that most systems are terrible with them. Annoying things such as the fact you have to pick the folder number then the song number and sooner or later it gets around to displaying the name of the song.

2. What is this all about? (wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display))

1. I just finished the install of my XAV-AX1000, and found out that this problem is with the USB storage itself. You just need to download and use a free tool called "DriveSort" to arrange the contents on your USB storage. With mine it was a mess, starting with B, then C, then A, and not alpha by folder when reading from the headunit...looked fine in Windows, but would not work right on the Sony. The tool re-arranged everything, so it queues correctly now. The problem goes back pre-Windows to the "short file name" in DOS. There is another problem where you cannot have more than 255 folders, so large music libraries may need to be on more than one USB device.

2. Simply ground the parking brake wire, problem solved.

3. (new issue) With mine running Firmware 1.23 the Bluetooth Audio connection does not allow you to move to the next album, or previous album by clicking on the "-Folder" or "+Folder" on the screen. I have iOS 14.3 on my iPhone, but even an old iPad has the same problem. Basically you need to use your phone to navigate to a different album. Their website says that it supports "GROUP (FOLDER) +/-" in Bluetooth Audio, but in real life it does not work with iOS. You can use the "-Folder" or +Folder to move in this fashion when reading the USB, but not with the iPhone. I spoke with Sony, and they are aware of the issue...will see if a future Firmware release fixes this problem.

All in all, a really nice unit which looks great in the 80. Took a bit of work to wire everything, including the backup camera, microphone, etc., but worth it to finally have a decent 21st century stereo in the truck.

I just installed a Pioneer AVX-220EX this weekend. Pretty basic unit, but has all of the features I needed, including Bluetooth, reverse camera, and sub output. So far I dig it, just need to figure out my reverse camera bug.

Thanks to the recommendation of a mud member I installed one of these with the og head unit and think it's great:

iSimple ISFM2351 Tranzit BLU Bluetooth Enabled Car FM Transmitter Music Stream

Calls work great, music sounds good, etc. I also added new door speakers and a powered sub so thats part of the sound quality side of things. I prefer the original headset look and have fun playing old cassettes and CDs when the mood strikes though most of the time I listen to whatever from my phone. I'll put the backup camera screen in with a new rear view mirror if I decide to get one and prefer nav on my phone where it's easier to keep it up to date long-term. Anyway, wanted to throw out another option in case it's helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom