Where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, new here and trying to figure out where to start or some guidance to existing posts regarding restoration processes.

Dad passed away a few years ago and I was the lucky (willing) recipient of his collection. Some fun stuff: ‘57 or ‘59 Unimog, ‘77 BJ40, and his ‘66 45LV. All are in need of resto, but the ‘66 is on its way out if I don’t get to it now, I fear.

I have a ‘99 100 series and the wife’s ‘15 LX, so love cruisers anyway, and am really looking forward to getting the vintage running again.

0572DE0A-C689-4188-93B3-AF3BD339A366.jpeg
B891685D-A7F9-4A92-8565-5C257233997B.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any and all help getting started.

Hi all, new here and trying to figure out where to start or some guidance to existing posts regarding restoration processes.

Dad passed away a few years ago and I was the lucky (willing) recipient of his collection. Some fun stuff: ‘57 or ‘59 Unimog, ‘77 BJ40, and his ‘66 45LV. All are in need of resto, but the ‘66 is on its way out if I don’t get to it now, I fear.

I have a ‘99 100 series and the wife’s ‘15 LX, so love cruisers anyway, and am really looking forward to getting the vintage running again.

View attachment 3288377View attachment 3288378

Thanks in advance for any and all help getting started.
Put some used tires on that will hold air. Just so you can push it around. Get yourself a cell phone boroscope adapter. Look down the spark plug holes and see if the cylinders look rusty. If it looks good pour a little marvel mystery oil down each cylinder and let it sit for a few days. Then see if you can spin it over by hand. Pull the valve cover to see what the valve train looks like. Is it free of rust? As you spin the motor by hand does the valve train move freely? If so it's time to check the fuel system next. This should only take a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom