Where to buy OEM starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can anyone recommend where to buy a OEM toyota starter for a 94?
@beno Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting.
Always the right parts the first time, and he's a sexy bitch.

You want the 2.0kw version. The 2.2 is part of the cold climate package, I think. I've never seen an explanation of what the 1.4 is for.

I bought a rebuilt Denso off RockAuto several months ago and I'm very happy with it, for what it's worth.

Why don't you have yours rebuilt? There are starter/alternator rebuild shops almost everywhere. I had one rebuilt last year for about $40 and an hour of my time waiting on them to do the job for me.

I bought rebuilt with lifetime warranty and with excellent results. Besides, cheaper...

Thanks for the reply, good to know where to get oem parts.
You want the 2.0kw version. The 2.2 is part of the cold climate package, I think. I've never seen an explanation of what the 1.4 is for.

I bought a rebuilt Denso off RockAuto several months ago and I'm very happy with it, for what it's worth.
I purchased a Denso from carid about a month ago, thought maybe it was having an issue and I tested it a few hours ago and all looks good.

Why don't you have yours rebuilt? There are starter/alternator rebuild shops almost everywhere. I had one rebuilt last year for about $40 and an hour of my time waiting on them to do the job for me.
I dont want to rebuild the one that came with the truck because Im pretty sure its an atermarket and all I could find on it is that its made in Mexico.

Just a bit of info on why I was planning on purchasing an OEM starter. I have been chasing in intermittent starting issue and with much reading and help from folks on this sight I am still having the issue. This truck is not my daily driver so I have some time to work on it. Checked all cables, battery, grounds, replaced cable from battery to starter, cleaned connectors for the NSS, and put in new Denso starter. I already purchased painless performance hot shot relay kit if I cannot fix or find the problem. I stopped in at Slee Offroad and explained what all i have done, and he was confident that it is a starter issue and he recommended that I use an OEM starter and it will fix my problem. Denso makes parts for toyota but they are not the same as an oem starter.

AFAIK, Denso was the OEM starter manufacturer for Toyota. All the original, new-from-Toyota starters are gone. All you can do is buy rebuilt or search junk yards for an original and have it rebuilt.

Can anyone recommend where to buy a OEM toyota starter for a 94? I thought I saw somewhere that CDan is not doing the parts anymore. Also there are three available when I look on toyotapartsdeal.com
1.4kw, 2.0kw, and a 2.2kw. I was thinking about the 2.0 but not to sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Starter for 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota Parts Deal

There are not 3 available anymore.

The 2.2kW iteration has long been discontinued.

Rebuild parts for it are available. Some folks like to get the bigger one and rebuild it.

The 2.0kW iteration is installed on 99.9% of US market 80 series trucks with the 1FZ-FE.

The 1.4kW iterations went to places like Florida. Very rare actually and not rebuildable with parts from Toyota.

IMO, no reason to buy this from Toyota unless you like Toyota parts.

I recommend www.densoproducts.com.

2.2/2.0/1.4 all interchange figment wise.

:lol: Thanks Baby.... ;)

That said, business is on hold till my relocation is completed and Rubithon is completed.

Looking at late July for return to operations in Boulder, CO.

:lol: Thanks Baby.... ;)

That said, business is on hold till my relocation is completed and Rubithon is completed.

Looking at late July for return to operations in Boulder, CO.

Yeah, I'm one of the 0.1% with the 2.2 in my 93. Glad parts are still available for
a rebuild

Moving to Colorado? Slee, Robbie and now Beno? Wow we are spoiled here in Denver

IMO, no reason to buy this from Toyota unless you like Toyota parts.

Can you tell me if I'm correct in my claim that Denso manufactured the starters that Toyota put on the 80 Series at the factory? I thought I had read that they either did so for the entire run, or that Toyota switched to sourcing from Denso after some model year.

Can you tell me if I'm correct in my claim that Denso manufactured the starters that Toyota put on the 80 Series at the factory? I thought I had read that they either did so for the entire run, or that Toyota switched to sourcing from Denso after some model year.

At that time it would have been technically Nippon Denso but yes, all 80 series trucks had starters that were Japan-manufactured Denso units.

Starters are now remanufactured in the US and are no longer Japanese parts.

Yeah, I'm one of the 0.1% with the 2.2 in my 93. Glad parts are still available for
a rebuild

Moving to Colorado? Slee, Robbie and now Beno? Wow we are spoiled here in Denver

Already here... been here for about 12 days. Shop in Boulder, living in Nederland.

Stop by some time.

:cheers:

IMG_3657.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG
IMG_3980.JPG

I just called up the local Toyota dealership parts department. They said they sell both the 1.4kw and the 2.2kw. The 2.2kw was coming in at 176 and change while the 1.4kw was at 230 and change plus 60 on the core. Is the 2.2kw worth it and necessary? I have to replace my starter and my FZJ80 originated from WV. I assume it has the 1.4 but the parts guy said it could have the 2.2kw, any way to know for sure?

As others have said, Deso was OEM and there are lots of people reporting that they got a new unit when they bought a reman from places like Amazon or Roackauto. However, what is wrong with your starter that you are replacing it? Most often starter issues are resolved by replacing just a few inexpensive parts.

I was just more curious as to the 2.2kw as I had heard they had been discontinued. Monday I'm planning on calling a few stores to see if they can service it. I would do it myself, but I really don't have the time and have never done anything like working on a starter before. If it is repairable, then great, if not then I'm going to consider one of those to replace it.

I was just more curious as to the 2.2kw as I had heard they had been discontinued. Monday I'm planning on calling a few stores to see if they can service it. I would do it myself, but I really don't have the time and have never done anything like working on a starter before. If it is repairable, then great, if not then I'm going to consider one of those to replace it.

The 2.2 kw starter was only available in the 1993 model year. New and reman units are long gone . I believe the internal parts plunger and contacts are still available via Toyota for a rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom