Where in the FSM is the radiator removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have good idea what to do, and l like to have the FSM as a backup reference...I have downloaded n just can't find it..not listed under cooling system.

FSM does not describe it for HJ, For my HJ it are these bolts:

Removal of radiator: spray with oil before removing bolts and nuts, some are never turned loose before!
Remove 6 bolts for the fan shroud and 4 long bolts from the radiator:
1-remove batteries and tray
2-remove under cover/protection plate
3-drain coolant and remove hoses (can be stuck and now the radiator is still attached and wont move)
4-remove fan shroud bolts (3 bolts both side), some a bit hidden, then rotate fan shroud upwards
5-remove 2 front radiator bolts (1 long each side on the front)
6-spray with penetrating oil from below and remove lower two radiator long bolts at the bottom side and move radiator a bit so it becomes loose, lift radiator straight out.

file.php

plenty of ''while your there'' paint work in engine bay when rad is removed, also shroud is easy to paint:

file.php

Hoses can get stuck pretty solid:

file.php

Old clamps wit new hoses came off three times (maybe because new rad is painted) so replaced with screw on type:

file.php

Last edited:
Edit: @hj 60 beat me to it, but here's my take anyway...

I'm not sure it is outlined in the FSM. Kind of strange. It's pretty straightforward though.

I prefer to remove as much as possible to allow access without bending and breaking things.

1. Drain the system

2. Going by memory here... Remove the battery and tray, front grill, loosen the headlight trim, but don't completely remove them. The AC dryer bracket, radiator over flow bottle. Loosen the AC condenser enough to access the two bolts hiding behind it. I think the fan shroud is held on by 6 bolts and needs to come off with the radiator. Do the split fan shroud mod before you put it all back together.

3. Once you have all that out of the way you can start removing the hoses. Toss them and replace with new OEM hoses. While you're at it, replace the thermostat with a new OEM part.

4. I removed the radiator with the brackets still attached because it seemed easier. You can try the other way if you dare.

5. Pull out the radiator and reverse your steps for installation.

6. Fill and burp the system with a mix of 50/50 (green coolant/distilled water).

7. Grab a beer and call it a day

take some pictures if you are new to this type of stuff, organize the fastners you remove (potentially re-thread them partially when you remove the component) so you know exactly where they came from. Pay attention to how things are attached before removal, make sure you put it back together like it came apart and don't force things..... zip-lock bags, a sharpie, maybe a small notepad to put sheets in the bag for notes as a memory prompt as to what fits what.

Easy job, not too many parts, remember you should have no extra bolts or screws when you are done.

Thanks all. I have pulled radiators from several of my previous vehicles, just never had to remove grill, trim. This is great advice

And amen to taking pics...when I replaced all the vacuum hose my photos of the before were a life saver thanks guys

Split the shroud too, next time you are in there working on something you will be really glad you did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom