Where does this oil seal go on front end? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to finish the longest running near front end rebuild and getting everything in order to put together.
I have Marln seals for my 82 fj 40 and can acct for pretty much everything except this seal. I suspect it goes on shaft prior to placing knuckle spindle.

The left one is old, right is new. I have the diagrams blown up and everything, just can't find with good confidence where this seal goes.
Thanks
unknown seal.jpg

You are correct, it goes in before the axle/Birf assy.

If you look at the small hole in the middle of the axle tube were the "Ball" of the knuckle is welded on, that seals should be a snug fit.

That seal is designed to keep the 90w gear lube in you dif/axle from blending with the Moly Grease you put in the knuckle.

Thats what I thought also, but I have that or at least what I think is that seal already in place. (see pic)

This is why its killing me, were there 2 different types in this kit? I know that doesn't make sense, I just want to put her back together and not miss an important part like this.
Thanks
photo seal.jpg

Key word ... Marlin. It looks like you were given two different axle seals. You have pounded in the super sweet Marlin seals. The other seal is what you would have installed if you didn't have the Marlins.

Well don't know how I got them but I looked at the diagrams several times and it was killing me. I agree the one I put in there fit great and just feels like it wants to be there.
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom