Where does LC end and Rubicon begin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@fogby if you haven’t been to the farmers market in Vail...just wait! It’s one of my favorites. You’ll need the cargo space of the LC to bring all the goodness home with you 😎 The Aspen food and wine is a blast as well.

@fogby if you need a realtor soon to purchase either the $4m or 6.5m house which are the only two homes for sale in Breck area, my buddy is an amazing Broker who has sold 4 of my homes and fixed several mistakes from buying agents paperwork. He is well established in the Vail/Boulder/Denver area.

How is this 200-series tech?

Thanks, all.

I think you've really helped with my decision. I don't want A/T tires on the LC. Want to be able to take quite 2k mile trips. I've had A/T's on other vehicles and do not like the noise. Some don't mind, but I do.

We have to have two vehicles. So it's not like I'm coming out of pocket. I'd trade our current vehicle for a different second. I've owned Jeeps so I know what I'm getting. I'd rather have a sport second car/suv, but I think I'm going to opt for the more off-road oriented second.

And mosquitoes - move to NC and you'll learn about them! In my time in Breck and CO, I've never thought they were close to NC.
Look into a p-metric AT tire like some of the builds of the toyo open country AT3. Still AT, but smaller tread blocks, more supple construction, and lower required pressures. Tires like that are a good middle ground.

@fogby if you need a realtor soon to purchase either the $4m or 6.5m house which are the only two homes for sale in Breck area, my buddy is an amazing Broker who has sold 4 of my homes and fixed several mistakes from buying agents paperwork. He is well established in the Vail/Boulder/Denver area.
Well, if the dude can buy a 6.5 mil house, then he needs to get another LC to beat up instead of Rubi! :D

If quiet ride is what you need, about the only AT tire I'd encourage is the Michelin Defender. That's about the mildest AT tire out there, with a high priority on NVH. Even the newest Toyo AT3s, while competitively quiet for an aggressive AT, can be heard over wind noise.

Don't really understand your comments. Thinking that reading comprehension isn't your cup of tea. Money isn't the question. Need two vehicles. If I get a Rubi, I'll trade in another for the Rubi. No cash gain or loss.

And I have absolutely no reason for anyone on this forum to endorse any decision I make. I asked a simple question, and most gave solid info that helped with my research. You on the other hand, wanted to inject your personal opinions about the rational of my question. I had a legitimate question about the performance of the LC in 100% stock trim given my relative inexperience as compared to the Rubi.

I think everybody tries to be helpful on the mud forums, and especially the 200 forum. Unfortunately, sometimes things don't read on a forum like they would sound in person. When talking about Jeeps on a LC forum, there are bound to be some offhand remarks.

I will admit that I am now confused a bit about your original post because it does sound like you are dead set against AT tires on the LC and you seem to have decided on a Jeep as a 2nd vehicle.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea about what you are getting into with a Rubicon and it may fit with your intended use. I don't want to speak for Charlie or anybody else, but I think one of the themes here is that unless you plan on modding the Jeep, a stock Rubicon is not going to take you very many places that your stock LC won't already take you. In either case, you will need AT tires on either vehicle.

In summary - The stock LC will perform as good or better than the stock Rubicon for most uses. If having a convertible is one of your criteria, it is a no brainer. If getting out into the wilderness is your criteria, either will be fine, but both would benefit greatly from AT tires. Either way, you already own one of the most capable Offroad vehicles on earth. So if you want a jeep, buy a jeep. Just know that it will not take you anywhere that the LC can not already take you.

I don’t know……..a stock Rubicon is very capable out of the box. I would not rate a stock LC in the same ballpark in terms of pure capability (excluding long distance drive or long distance washboard). I am not talking about build quality, longevity, or reliability. A stock Rubicon will walk all over a stock LC in most technical off-road trails.

A stock Rubi has angles that are vastly superior to LC (maybe exception being breakover in the 4-door), ground clearance advantage, true off-road tires (vs. Dunlops), perfect size for tight spaces, lightweight (relatively), LOCKERS everywhere, articulation that equals or best LC, and 4:1 transfer case with crawl ratio that is double that of LC I think when you go manual. And if you want to modify, then Jeep Wrangler has an aftermarket support that is second to no one.

IMHO, i like the idea of having two vehicles if you do plan on taking it to knarly places. (For me, I have no need for a Rubi…total overkill.)

Last edited:
Well, if the dude can buy a 6.5 mil house, then he needs to get another LC to beat up instead of Rubi! :D
Lol! Prices of homes anywhere near Breck have exploded.
I don’t know……..a stock Rubicon is very capable out of the box. I would not rate a stock LC in the same ballpark in terms of pure capability (excluding long distance drive or long distance washboard). I am not talking about build quality, longevity, or reliability. A stock Rubicon will walk all over a stock LC in most technical off-road trails.

A stock Rubi has angles that are vastly superior to LC (maybe exception being breakover in the 4-door), ground clearance advantage, true off-road tires (vs. Dunlops), perfect size for tight spaces, lightweight (relatively), LOCKERS everywhere, articulation that equals or best LC, and 4:1 transfer case with crawl ratio that is double that of LC I think when you go manual. And if you want to modify, then Jeep Wrangler has an aftermarket support that is second to no one.

IMHO, i like the idea of having two vehicles if you do plan on taking it to knarly places. (For me, I have no need for a Rubi…total overkill.)

871B3F0A-8DE4-413E-966C-80490A4C245B.jpeg

I don’t know……..a stock Rubicon is very capable out of the box. I would not rate a stock LC in the same ballpark in terms of pure capability (excluding long distance drive or long distance washboard).

A stock Rubi has angles that are vastly superior to LC (maybe exception being breakover in the 4-door), ground clearance advantage, true off-road tires (vs. Dunlops), LOCKERS everywhere, articulation that equals or best LC, and 4:1 transfer case with crawl ratio that is double that of LC I think when you go manual. And if you want to modify, then Jeep Wrangler has an aftermarket support that is second to no one.

Maybe, but that wasn't the premise posed by the OP - "the performance of the LC in 100% stock trim given my relative inexperience as compared to the Rubi"

Practically speaking, "relative inexperience" is key here.

Also, I would argue that you can't pick and choose which aspects of capability you include when comparing stock LC to stock Rubi. For many of us, "long distance drive or long distance washboard" is part of the deal. So while having extra clearance and front and rear lockers is great, it doesn't matter a hill of beans if I am too fatigued after a three hour drive in a Jeep to make good decisions and roll it on an off camber turn. I'll grant you that my bumpers will probably clear though.

Thanks, all.

I think you've really helped with my decision. I don't want A/T tires on the LC. Want to be able to take quite 2k mile trips. I've had A/T's on other vehicles and do not like the noise. Some don't mind, but I do.

We have to have two vehicles. So it's not like I'm coming out of pocket. I'd trade our current vehicle for a different second. I've owned Jeeps so I know what I'm getting. I'd rather have a sport second car/suv, but I think I'm going to opt for the more off-road oriented second.

And mosquitoes - move to NC and you'll learn about them! In my time in Breck and CO, I've never thought they were close to NC.
I just put Toyo AT3s on my 2021 LC. They are fantastic in snow (important living in the mountains) and quiet on the road. Barely noticeable vs stock. Even if you don't go with ATs, you need to ditch the stock tires. Just awful in snow. Michelin Defender LTX M/S2s are fantastic in the white stuff and quieter on the road than an AT tire.

Last edited:
Thanks, all.

Sir I believe you mean to say Skeeter's.

My 2 cents. The nice thing about a Heep is it is super short. Narrow trails with tight turns are a lot easier. Cheaper to fix when you break something and a ton of aftermarket products to fit any budget. I don't like them for any drive longer than 45 min. Tarmac or dirt. They are fun in the mud?

In summary - The stock LC will perform as good or better than the stock Rubicon for most uses. If having a convertible is one of your criteria, it is a no brainer. If getting out into the wilderness is your criteria, either will be fine, but both would benefit greatly from AT tires. Either way, you already own one of the most capable Offroad vehicles on earth. So if you want a jeep, buy a jeep. Just know that it will not take you anywhere that the LC can not already take you.
These people agree with you: Jeep Wrangler vs Mercedes G550 vs Toyota Land Cruiser Comparison - https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/land-cruiser/2016/jeep-wrangler-mercedes-benz-g550-toyota-land-cruiser-comparison/amp/

Personally, if I were looking at a second, "fun" vehicle, I would get a loaded Crosstrek or Outback.

404 Fun Not Found.

Your definition of fun is extremely perverted! LOL:grinpimp:

Seriously, there is nothing fun about Crosstrek, a slow turd. Outback, maybe the turbo engines are not so anemic, but it's wallowing pile of automotive mediocrity with an awful transmission.

To the OP: I'd get a Rubicon! Frankly if I could justify getting one I would, but I already have a collection of silly vehicles. I was considering getting one for city commuting duties instead of an i3. With crap roads in Boston you can totally justify off road tires, etc. Would be nice for occasional curb hopping.

If I lived in CO, I'd get a Rubi. For fun on rocks I it would be awesome. Just put a minor lift (2"), throw on 35" wheels and go.... to town, that is go wheeling :)

Of course it better be 2-door, 4-door is bit of an abomination IMO still.

I've owned both (built 100, currently drive a built 4-door rubicon, and considering going back to a LC). The stock rubicon will be a lot more capable, easier to drive in technical terrain and more fun. The smaller size, better angles and solid front axle make hard trails feel easy. This really depends on the kind of trails you're running though. The capability difference won't matter on easy and moderate trails but can be the difference between continuing and having fun or whiteknuckling and turning around on harder trails.

All that being said, the Jeep won't be quiet, water tight, air tight, comfortable, or spacious. And honestly, driving with the top off kind of sucks a lot of the time. It's really only good around sunrise and sunset or in cloudy weather. The rest of the time, the sun or dust gets overwhelming on anything longer than short trips, or when in traffic. This is coming from a guy who drives his with all the windows down or out and the front half of the top open 90% of the time.

The thing I like least about the Jeep is the steering. Depending on how far from the trails you are, a Jeep is a hassle on the highway. The steering requires constant corrections and attention. There's bump steer, cross winds are killer, and pot holes can find you in another lane. We drove mine from CA to AL a few months ago will not be driving it back.

Get the Rubicon and tow it to the trailhead with the 200.

To the OP: I'd get a Rubicon! Frankly if I could justify getting one I would, but I already have a collection of silly vehicles. I was considering getting one for city commuting duties instead of an i3. With crap roads in Boston you can totally justify off road tires, etc. Would be nice for occasional curb hopping.

If I lived in CO, I'd get a Rubi. For fun on rocks I it would be awesome. Just put a minor lift (2"), throw on 35" wheels and go.... to town, that is go wheeling :)

Of course it better be 2-door, 4-door is bit of an abomination IMO still.

With a 2" lift you can fit 37s ;)

I like the Jeep’s especially the new Eco diesel just because the fuel option of diesel . LC 200 has become a more refined beast which should have been a little more aggressive to live up to its name and just kept the mall crawler look for the LX .
Living out west I ran a full Genright JKU coversion with 40’s thing would go every where , now living on the eastcoast the 40’s are fine but the mud and sand is a way different terrain .
I’m keeping my 200 forever ... but I have my eyes open for another Jeep ... just totally different tool .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom