Wheel Spacer Questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
I am sure this has been answered somewhere in the forum, but when searching I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for...

1). I am looking to add spacers to my 99, which is running 285 Duratracs. I don’t want them to look like those stupid diesel pickups with their wheels spaced out 6”. More of a slight increase in space, but nothing noticeable stupid.

What thickness do you recommend?

2). What brand? I have Spider-something on my 4runner, I have not had any issues with them. However, just wondering if there is common brand that the 100 series owners stick with for one reason or another??

3). Obviously, when I find answers to the first 2 questions I can hop on Amazon, but I like to support the vendors on Mud, any recommendations??

4). Any other considerations?

Edit: noticed that Slee sells a different style for the front and the rear (spidertrax). Other google searches are showing 1 style that is listed as “universal fit”?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
1.25 put my 275/70/18 KO2 right at the fender. I ran BORA spacers and was very impressed with their quality. Stick with Slee or BORA. Our rigs require hub centric spacers.

5285BBCA-E312-4BE6-B26E-BBA39C9CC5ED.jpeg

E6D385B4-CEAE-479C-A67A-09C0B2C1E2F9.jpeg

I have 285/65/18 Toyos with Slee 1.25 spacers. Just right.

other than looks, why do people want spacers? Fit wider tires with different offset wheels? the desire for a longer turning radius... Better geometry to have wider stance when a vehicle has been lifted?

other than looks, why do people want spacers? Fit wider tires with different offset wheels? the desire for a longer turning radius... Better geometry to have wider stance when a vehicle has been lifted?
Lots of reasons:

- Looks, definitely
- Ability to fit different wheels (some Tundra wheels, for example) and/or tires
- Clearance for snow/mud chains
- Increased stability due to wider stance
- Also, looks

Anyone have a picture of 295s with 1.25 spacers?

Lots of reasons:

- Looks, definitely
- Ability to fit different wheels (some Tundra wheels, for example) and/or tires
- Also, looks
What he said. And looks.

1. I felt the same way. Didn’t want my tire sticking out any more than it had to in order to clear on the inside. Therefore, I found others had been successfully using a 3/8” slip-on spacer from Motorsport-tech. I was running a larger tire then you but this was my first step and I was happy with it for a couple years when I ran this on the front only. Then I ordered 3/4” adapters from them and moved the 3/8” to the back. Still running this setup, but I do have a 1” now that I may try up front moving the 3/4” to the back to see how much space I can get to run chains in the rear. Again, larger tire, so you wouldn’t likely have the same reasons but I just wanted to show there are numerous good options smaller than 1.25”

2 & 3. Motorsport-Tech, Bora, whatever they are called has been absolutely great so far. Nothing wrong with Slee, and I order other things from them, but I prefer the options of other sizes from someone who specializes in this category.

4. I was fitting a taller, wider tire myself, so if you are trying to get a smaller, skinnier tire right to the outside lip of the fender for looks you may prefer the recommendation of everyone else with 1.25”

Hope that helps,
Micah

Lots of reasons:

- Looks, definitely
- Also, looks

I fit Tundra wheels just fine without spacers--just as an FYI. I would think reasoning behind stability isn't really material. I would assume 99% of the reason, as you seem to indicate, is looks (nothing wrong with that).

I've never used spacers unless necessary. On Mitch's rig we did use the SpiderTrax/Slee 1.25" (30mm) spacers to properly fit his Tundra Rock Warrior wheels wrapped in 295/70R17 (33.5") Cooper STT Pros. I did read that some have fitted various Tundra wheels without spacers but the RW wheels would not fit without them. With the spacers we have zero clearance issues at any corner in any circumstance. Spacers must be used responsibly as they will require your attention to insure they remain properly torqued and inspected at least at every rotation which we do at every oil change. As we needed spacers to prevent rubbing, they can also induce rubbing issues depending on the offset of your wheels and tire specs used. I look at them as a fitment tool and personally would prefer buying rims with the proper offset to accomplish the same outcome but this is not always feasible as there are very few aftermarket 16" or 17" wheels options to choose from that would have worked. We did order in two aftermarket 17" sets but Mitch and I both agreed that they simply didn't look right. With that said, there are plenty of 18" aftermarket options that many do think look appropriate that will solve the offset/rub issues allowing for larger tires without clearance issues. OEM wheels will work just fine too. As earlier mentioned, be very cautious of cheap spacers for the 100s as the generic ones will not fit over the front hubs (drive plate nuts interfere) assuming you are purchasing hubcenttric ones. The larger and heavier the tire/wheel package the more I'm concerned about ensuring the wheels are perfectly aligned with the hubs thus hubcentric spacers take care of that issue. Regardless of the arguments on whether certain wheels are hub or lug-centric, a hubcentric spacer will unquestionably perform better at centering the rotational mass at each corner alleviating any possible wobble outside of tire balance, rim trueness, etc. plus the lugs/studs perform only one duty instead of two.

Here's a couple of pics of Mitch's rig with the 295/70R17 STT Pros
IMG_5932[1].JPG
IMG_5930[1].JPG
IMG_E5991[1].JPG

I fit Tundra wheels just fine without spacers--just as an FYI. I would think reasoning behind stability isn't really material. I would assume 99% of the reason, as you seem to indicate, is looks (nothing wrong with that).

I am running BORA 1.25 inch spacers. Real high-quality stuff.

I bought them for two reasons:
1. I plan on upgrading to 35s at some point in the future, and the 1.25" spacer makes fitting those easier, from what I have read.
2. The tires (on Tundra 18's) now stick out a bit from my fenders. I believe, with my WKOR sliders, that these will give my rocker panels a little more protection. Before, when the tires were just inside the fender lip, there was an area that could catch stumps and stuff between my front tire and the slider (and have had one log do that exactly). I think the spacers will help stop that from happening, keeping the hard pointy bits a little farther away from the sheet metal.

(and #2.5 - I got the rear spacers CHEAP on an eBay auction, new!)

What he said. And looks.

I want to be able to "see" my tires when leaning out the window while driving off-road for better placement. "Looks" is DEFINITELY a benefit though. I just don't think the stock stance on 100 Series Cruisers looks right. Something about the tires tucked in that doesn't sit well with me.

64E393B1-170B-4C2B-8381-16FB43DBF135.jpeg
For additional reference, 3/4” adapters accommodate the TRD Rock Warrior wheel on the front also.

I think I’ve done all my homework on lug pattern, spacing and hub centricity ... but would someone who has ordered before confirm these are the Bora’s for our rigs?

2012 Toyota Tundra 1.25" Wheel Spacers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075AJI2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Wl2GAbW652NET

Much appreciated.

Those don't look right. They look like rear spacers. The front spacers have "teeth" or indents to allow for the hub bolts. Front spacers can only be oriented one way. Get them from the source......Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech

If you look closely at the attached image, you'll notice that the spacers on the bottom (front spacers) have indents/teeth. These are my BORA spacers btw. Already spoken for though.

IMG_0075.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom