What's this black oily stuff on my wheel well fenders?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2JG

Threads
I'm seeing this black, oily substance on all 4 of my wheel well fenders, some in the tire well itself and occasional spots on the sides of the LC but not heavy like the fenders. It's definitely concentrated more on the wheel fenders. I crawled under and do not see anything that looks abnormal or leaking puddles. I cleaned the fenders a couple of weeks ago and after a weekend trip, they are just as dirty as before. I've recently had rear main seal replaced, arch pan seal replaced, fly wheel and transmission seal replaced and I'm not seeing anything around those areas...dry as a bone. I also had power steering pump and hoses replaced and radiator. It looks like the power steering pump is a bit wet around it but I'm not sure if that was just from when it was replaced. Any ideas?

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Do you wash the cruiser after your trips? It looks like tire shine has slung off.

Do you wash the cruiser after your trips? It looks like tire shine has slung off.
Interesting...the tires did have shine on them before the trip. I think you may have nailed it. That explain why it's oily and why I'm not seeing anything under the LC. Thanks...I've never seen this before but just started getting a hand wash at a new place so maybe their tire shine is thin.

Does it have any odor, like gear oil, or ---??

I'm seeing this black, oily substance on all 4 of my wheel well fenders, some in the tire well itself and occasional spots on the sides of the LC but not heavy like the fenders. It's definitely concentrated more on the wheel fenders. I crawled under and do not see anything that looks abnormal or leaking puddles. I cleaned the fenders a couple of weeks ago and after a weekend trip, they are just as dirty as before. I've recently had rear main seal replaced, arch pan seal replaced, fly wheel and transmission seal replaced and I'm not seeing anything around those areas...dry as a bone. I also had power steering pump and hoses replaced and radiator. It looks like the power steering pump is a bit wet around it but I'm not sure if that was just from when it was replaced. Any ideas?

View attachment 3158153

View attachment 3158154

View attachment 3158155
Please show me a pic of the outside of the wheels showing the hubs and the tire / flare relationship.

@ERG80 Tire shine confirmed! Well I learned something new today and it's the cheapest fix I've had for my LC to date!
I’m glad it wasn’t a larger issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom