Whats the trick to getting this evaporator out of the dash in an FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to pull the evaporator/cooling box from under the dash for about an hour now. What is the trick to this? I pulled all six screws, unhooked the lines from the firewall, and disconnect all the connectors. I've pulled the ECU to get some more room, and is seems relatively free, but no matter what angle I take, I can't get this out.

Last edited:
The enclosure needs to come forward (towards seats) before it will drop down. You need to get that top tab clear of the stud

Just did this myself. Did you remove the lower heater vent that runs across the tranny hump? That was the biggest obstacle I had removing the evap box. I almost broke some sh*t forcing the box past that lower vent when removing it.

After removing that lower vent, re-install was easy.

Post #216 page 11 might help.

Meet Phoenix

Wish I had seen those images beforehand. I think I got all the screws out though.

The enclosure needs to come forward (towards seats) before it will drop down. You need to get that top tab clear of the stud

I can get it forward, it just seems to not want to rotate out. It's off the studs though.

Just did this myself. Did you remove the lower heater vent that runs across the tranny hump? That was the biggest obstacle I had removing the evap box. I almost broke some sh*t forcing the box past that lower vent when removing it.

After removing that lower vent, re-install was easy.

I started pulling that lower vent apart, but didn't take it all the way out. I gave up for the day, I'll try again fresh tomorrow and see if I can get the whole lower heater vent out.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Took another hour of tugging but its out!

I wish I could say what I did, its just finding that angle and pulling. I definately did some damage during the process.

I could not get the lower vents out of the way as they could not drop low enough to clear the underside of their attachments. I would have needed to pull up the carpet.

Getting everything cleaned off now. Hopefully it goes back in easier.

Took another hour of tugging but its out!

I wish I could say what I did, its just finding that angle and pulling. I definately did some damage during the process.

I could not get the lower vents out of the way as they could not drop low enough to clear the underside of their attachments. I would have needed to pull up the carpet.

Getting everything cleaned off now. Hopefully it goes back in easier.

Funny you mention that about removing the lower vents....I absolutely could not figure out how to remove those with the carpet in the way, and had a hard time getting the little plastic screw fasteners to let go (stripped).
I started by unscrewing the vent on the driver's side which loosened things up, finally figured out how the tiny plastic screw things worked, and then the vent assembly just kinda fell out of the way. I was pissed I couldn't figure that out before. The carpet is actually not in your way, just doesn't seem possible when looking at it.

As I mentioned before, that lower vent was the keystone in getting my evap box in and out.

I just pulled the entire dash board. No damage .

Ha, the box popped back in within a minute. I was expecting a battle, maybe the truck felt sorry for me.

I find that cursing helps a great deal in getting it out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom