What's going on over at GOBI? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do like the Gamiviti racks, but they aren't a basket (want for lateral stability of contents) and I really want a mesh floor.

Isn’t an “upside down” Expo+++ more or less a basket?

Looking at the pics I think that's what some folks did. The reasons to not ditch GOBI and go Gamiviti are running thin!

Isn’t an “upside down” Expo+++ more or less a basket?
yes i do believe you are correct.

i too just ordered my gamiviti rack and have been super impressed with the customer service, Tim @nakman has been awesome to deal with he takes the time to answer all your question in extreme detail. if a custom rack is what your after im sure he can facilitate to your needs. but as stated above i believe someone did this already, ordered an expo +++ and mounted it upside down to make it a basket. It may have been a custom build as well im not 100 percent sure.

My only concern with mounting it upside down is that the mounting plates would then be elevated relevant to the crossbars instead of the other way around as is intended. This would put those plates, with square edges, in locations that would surely rub through bags and such that I intend to throw up there.

EDIT: Actually, maybe it wouldn't. I'll need to call and talk to him.

Ugh, but this was about what I expected after my own experience.

I do like the Gamiviti racks, but they aren't a basket (want for lateral stability of contents) and I really want a mesh floor. Seems GOBI are the only ones making that exact rack after extensive research. I can find baskets but they don't tend to have the same low profile and none have the mesh flooring.

The Prinsu-style racks just aren't what I'm after, at all. I want something more rugged and besides GOBI only Gamiviti comes close.

Not trying to tell you what to prefer, but baskets are over-rated, the stability of whatever you're loading doesn't come from having "sides" on your rack, which is why most true expedition racks don't have them, it comes from a strong secure mount of the object to an adequately strong rack. Those side won't stop anything from flying off the rack if it's not mounted adequately.

I recently ordered my gamiviti expo ++ essential rack from Tim and received it in one week. Obviously it will take a little longer for a custom rack but the essential was everything I needed and was in stock. Tim was great to deal with and the rack was a straightforward install.

@nakman supplies glassware every year (among tons of other support) at HIH. I've had my share and then some of spirits and beer from a Gamaviti glass. I've broken most of them or worn out the logo from over-use. Good dude. Get a Gamaviti rack.

Still Colorado made, and I suspect you'll talk/email to a real human promptly. Probably even Tim himself.

I have a few of them, we use them almost every night for drinks, in fact we have a rum/coke in two of them now 😍 Logos are still perfect.

Expo++ on my 100, will have one on the 40 when I get around to it.

My only concern with mounting it upside down is that the mounting plates would then be elevated relevant to the crossbars instead of the other way around as is intended. This would put those plates, with square edges, in locations that would surely rub through bags and such that I intend to throw up there.

EDIT: Actually, maybe it wouldn't. I'll need to call and talk to him.
My plates are centered on the bars, such that even the tops of the mounting bolts are below the tops of the bars (picture holding a sheet of paper along the center line of a dowel). And with the grid panels, the mounting plates are completely obscured. It would be the same inverted.

FWIW, the patent listed on their site for the 100 appears to be expired as of 2 years ago.

Side note, jeez, they patent every little thing. Must have a patent attorney of staff or something...

View attachment 2906679
Design or utility patent? I can't tell if they patented the design specific to the 100 series, or the utility of having a rear facing ladder on a vehicle.

EDIT: I see it's a design patent now. I also see that the inventor patents many other...interesting....items

Last edited:
Before you cancel with Gobi, just call Tim of Gamiviti and I you will understand why everyone recommends his product. I believe that he will win you over. He can probably put together exactly what you are looking for and likely for less than the Gobi rack. He is a big contributor to the local Toyota club and a stand up guy.

Want to understand crazy Gobi patents? I have heard that Gobi owns the patent to angling the second row of 1" diameter tubing inward on the rack.

Little update to this.

I ultimately decided to just wait for the Gobi rack as it was exactly what I wanted. I went to their site yesterday looking for contact info to call and found a request form that I hadn't seen previously. Assuming this is new, I imagine they finally heard the feedback around poor customer service and took steps to address that.

I submitted a request and got a response within a couple hours. They confirmed my rack was nearing completion and would be charging my card shortly. Charge notice came through a short while ago so it should be on its way very soon.

Super stoked!

Reactions: GTV
Any update? I ordered a stealth for my 80 black friday 2021 and got an email saying I was on track to ship sometime in June. They have been pretty good about staying in contact with me so far, I ordered it knowing/expecting it to take awhile. We'll see!

Yup, it finally came in 352 days after I placed my order. Worth the wait IMO, super happy with it.

img_20220512_190813-jpg.3007586

img_20220512_190827-jpg.3007587

img_20220512_190845-jpg.3007588

img_20220515_095250-jpg.3009392

img_20220515_095039-jpg.3009393

any thoughts after a few months with the Gobi?
ive got a 2008 200, hoping to find a low profile basket rack with a sun roof opening. Doing research on prinsu, Gobi, Baja, and Gamviti. Would love to know what your experience has been. dont know if i can wait 12 months though....

Love my Gobi, and happy I waited given the aesthetic I was going for. Gamiviti was next on my list but just missed a few things I wanted.

I ordered my Gobi mid-August and received it late September. (6 wks). Very pleased with the product and the response from customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom