What underbody parts to avoid when applying POR15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can approach rust a few ways, all dependant on what time and resource you have. What you are most basically after is to stop the rust component that is easiest to combat- oxygen. Without it, iron doesn't form iron oxide. The closer you can get to the raw metal on your frame the better (remember-resources). Best case, rent a sand blaster and get after it. You really won't hurt much under there just watch shock shafts mainly. You don't need white clean, just scale free. If you can't do that wire brush til you are numb.
From here, metal prep is nice as it is phosphoric acid. What it does is make an iron phosphate coating on the surface which is instant primer. Etch prime does the same thing, as is rust converter primer like Extend.
Next comes the poison you pick which is an oxygen barrier; Chassis Saver, POR 15, catalyzed paint (varying quality levels that tend to follow cost), or crappy spray paint (get what you pay for). Finally, your maintenance oxygen barrier that is ultimately the first line of defense - fluid film, waste oil, or (my favorite) wal mart cooking spray for under 2 bucks a can.

Do these and you will be in great shape. And don't be afraid to wash the bottom weekly in the winter.

If you really believed that metal prep is critical, you would have sandblasted to remove the rust and previous coatings.

And if you did that, you probably would have used an epoxy instead of this stuff.

Also, they recommend 220 grit, not 320 grit for scuffing prior to topcoating. Obtaining a proper surface profile is pretty important. I would follow their recommendations.

In my case, sandblasting wasn't an option...so this is what we went with. I'm really happy with it. Time will tell if it holds up or not. I'm confident it will.

The guy from Master Series told me 320 grit was fine to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom