What tool do I need for this?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ddub

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I was removing a swing out tire carrier from a JDM 80 series, and it has 5 or 6 12mm bolts but one weird "screw" (please see pic). What tool would I need to remove this?

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 12.26.10 PM.png

Thanks Arc. I assume these are meant for security, but how do I go about removing? Seems they are built for "one-way" use.

Break out the grinder I guess

one way screw removal tool...depending on size...this isn't 12mm like the bolts, or is it?

1573252247544.png

looks like there is room for visegrips on the head, if you can reach it.
If all else fails, seems like welding a nut on there would be pretty easy.

Thanks for ideas guys. The special tool looks good if I could find one. Also considering cutting a groove and treating it like a flat head screw, but the vise grips may work too. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

I'd weld a nut on it. Take a counter-sink tool to the nut first and give it a deep counter-sink. Makes it easier to get a good bead between the bolt head and the nut.

Small angle grinder, just cut a slot like a regular flat head right in plane with the original but a tad deeper. then just use a screwdriver.

Ended up getting it slightly loose with the vise grips first, but was hard getting a solid grip with the rounded head. Moved on to using a Dremel to cut a slot then backed it out with a flat head screw driver. Thanks for the suggestions all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom