What to expect after cylinder head replacement and H55f swap and a bunch of other things (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE: New gasket, all new bolts all back on top and have put about 15 miles on it and its working killer (knock on wood.) With the cleaned and balanced injectors and everything else I threw at it I can now drive her after almost exactly a year being garaged. Too bad I cant drive it due to Corona Virus. More than likely be sheltering in place by tomorrow!
Forgot to mention that the high idle was still a plaguing issue. New vac lines everywhere and still high idle...almost 1200 at a stop. So tonight I messed with timing and I could get the idle down but it drove like dog crap. So gave it a dinner rest then went back out and removed the idle control solenoid. Pulled it apart which was very easy since I dropped it on the ground and it revealed its insides to me. Messed with it...bearings were both spinning. Greased the spindle and put it back together and back on and WHAMMMM....idle fell so low that I couldnt get her to start. Messed with the magic screw going left to get enough idle out to mess with the timing and after a few back and forths...I have a perfectly running AND idling vehicle again.

Way to stick with it @FJHAIRSPRAY !

Congrats. If you ask me, driving around in your well-timed, dialed in, 5 speed 62 should be considered "essential" business.

Awesome when a thread like this ends up working out. Just a bad seal on the head gasket? I just started mine yesterday

Way to stick with it @FJHAIRSPRAY !

Congrats. If you ask me, driving around in your well-timed, dialed in, 5 speed 62 should be considered "essential" business.
and with gas prices so low right now I
Awesome when a thread like this ends up working out. Just a bad seal on the head gasket? I just started mine yesterday
My theory has a couple items that I think added to the first one going bad. 1. The number 4 cylinder never fired and Im pretty sure it was because I had a push rod that wasn't seated properly against the stop screw for that lifter. It was all tweaked. Because of this my thought is that area of the gasket didn't get hot enough to cook to the two mating surfaces. That and I used the old hardware...which I took great care in cleaning and re-threading etc etc. But Ive heard even though they are TTY they should be replaced. So this time around I got all 15 brand spanking new ones including two no longer made long ones from witsend @NLXTACY if you need them. This may or may not have been the cause but it gave me some added insurance. Good luck and let me know if I can help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom