Ignition thingy? Bottom of key barrel/cylinder broken - need to order/replace. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!
Apologies in advance if I was not able to find this in my search of other threads...

We lost the keys to the FJ60... so, we ordered a brand new key barrel (sorry if my terminology is off).

After getting the old cylinder/barrel out/off we discovered this part at the bottom of the housing - one end is manipulated by the key cylinder, the other end goes through the back of the housing and into the solenoid that actually initiates ignition broke in half.

I'm trying to find this part and can't for the life of me find a diagram for any part number or even the name of this part - can anyone help me figure out how to get a new one?

Pics are of the part where the end would go into the solenoid, plus the part itself in both two pieces as broken and what it is supposed to look like

1709058248027.png

1709058351730.png

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

Go to:

Enter your frame number, go to "Transmission and chassis" and then "Steering column & shaft". Pretty sure this is part of the "BRACKET, STEERING COLUMN, UPPER", if not the key cylinder itself. For example, 45280-60100.

1709063373846.png

What ignition barrel did you order?
We got this one... works and fits great - just missing this part that broke..

IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER & KEY - FJ60 1980-1987​

you could have gotten new keys made by a locksmith with the code from the lock on the passenger front door
how will you get into the rig if the doors are locked?

Spector off road (www.SOR.com) may have that part used. They have something they call the steering column lock shaft. They don't show pictures so you should probably communicate with them to make sure it is the correct part.

Hello!
Apologies in advance if I was not able to find this in my search of other threads...

We lost the keys to the FJ60... so, we ordered a brand new key barrel (sorry if my terminology is off).

After getting the old cylinder/barrel out/off we discovered this part at the bottom of the housing - one end is manipulated by the key cylinder, the other end goes through the back of the housing and into the solenoid that actually initiates ignition broke in half.

I'm trying to find this part and can't for the life of me find a diagram for any part number or even the name of this part - can anyone help me figure out how to get a new one?

Pics are of the part where the end would go into the solenoid, plus the part itself in both two pieces as broken and what it is supposed to look like

View attachment 3568538

View attachment 3568539

View attachment 3568527

View attachment 3568528

View attachment 3568529

not a service available stand alone ......fyi

FJ60 and FJ60 COLUMN IGN lock receivers are NOT interchangeable or compatible in any way at all period ...fyi

neither is the BROKEN part above , sold only as part of a oem receiver , NO aftermarket

see below

1709153300804.png

1709153510110.png

Last edited:
you could have gotten new keys made by a locksmith with the code from the lock on the passenger front door
Any decent locksmith can re key the aftermarket ignition to your existing key and have everything match up. My truck came with a broken ignition and i threw a $20 ignition cylinder in there from rockauto and handed the locksmith my key and he was able to get the coding for the pins by looking at the key and counting the teeth and stuff. Didnt need to give him a code or anything. I also had him cut me a bunch of replacement keys just to have using toyota blanks. All of them work just fine

@Steamboat

Be aware there are differences in that 'Bracket' over the 60-series run. Be sure you get one that works for your year, since you didn't post it.

Hello!

View attachment 3568538

View attachment 3568539

View attachment 3568527

View attachment 3568528

View attachment 3568529
Any decent locksmith can re key the aftermarket ignition to your existing key and have everything match up. My truck came with a broken ignition and i threw a $20 ignition cylinder in there from rockauto and handed the locksmith my key and he was able to get the coding for the pins by looking at the key and counting the teeth and stuff. Didnt need to give him a code or anything. I also had him cut me a bunch of replacement keys just to have using toyota blanks. All of them work just fine
Spector off road (www.SOR.com) may have that part used. They have something they call the steering column lock shaft. They don't show pictures so you should probably communicate with them to make sure it is the correct part.

i failed to touch on the initial step # 1 topic , that nobody here had brought up thus far , including myself ....

- in order to be able to remove your OLD existing IGN. Lock Cylinder per. the FSM step by steps , and well it is simply the TOYOTA way accross the big broad brush board 1973-2013 ish , the IGN. Lock cylinder MUST be set to the ACC. position , then the small depression pin can be easily depressed using the 3mm drift punch ' BY HAND " no hammer of force used , just finger tips kidz gloves , you then use your other hand to wiggle and slide the old ign lock put of the receiver ....

it takes a bit of formal instruction and live on-hand professional Lock and KEY Technician ( LOCK SMITH practice training to make it Eazy-Peezy like i describe of course too

- i have 2 main additional questions here ?

- why did you decide purchase a NEW IGN. lock in the first place , if you ONLY lost all your keys , ???

- if you had NO keys at all , How then did you rotate the IGN. Lock Cylinder to the NEEDED ACC. position to correctly Remove / Extract it ?

- There is NO other method to correctly remove a Land Cruiser IGN. Lock you have , if you lost all your keys .........

- Except using a few unique Lock and Key Trade-Craft pin-point precision SST tools , and surgically DESTROY the IGN. Lock in a 1 step method

- i now have a very krystal klear understanding on the HOW and WHY the rotate-shaft part is now severed like it is snapped in half .....

- hummmmmm ????

- this is NOT a good place to be , and the method you applied , could and might have caused additional still to be determined damage to that all important magnesium receiver assy....?

- before i go any further here , Please review in detail exactly how you got the old one out , and every single tool involved , and the various steps you applied to get it out ?

this is important , because i need to understand the HOW and WHY here ?

- i have encountered this type of scenario more then a few times , so lets have at it so i can help you help yourself and this topic as a whole

- i shot and produced this FSM Step by Step IGN. Lock Cylinder SST Extraction Tech. Video approx. 2 years ago on my own personal
5/89 FJ62LG-PNEK , i forgot to click the live premier icon , its been in frozen in time in my You Tube T-TEN Self Empowerment Through Education channel all this time .....:D
- the
only FJ60 / FJ62 single difference is LOCATION of the ACC depression pin , i make that klear point in the Video below , that's it :wrench::wrench::wrench:
- i will post this in my 60 series Lock and Key shop tech thread main home base too ,

below are the FJ60 / FJ62 factory FSM pages too .....

- if you study all below you CAN do this , do it correctly , and then it's done by the book safe too .....

THIS IS THE WAY ....

Last edited:
YOU DO NOT do this here below using a giant drill , you will blow sh# t up inside the magnesium receiver .... :wrench: :wrench: :wrench:

you can
ONLY use the RED INK approach i outline , below ............in red ink , this is a procedure best suited to a Professional TOYOTA Lock and Key Technician , and or a Certified Licensed lock smith ....fyi:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:

1709210667891.png

I think I found the broken part from a cruiser parts yard here in Colorado - hopefully it fits and all is well once it arrives! Everything seems to be fitting and working fine minus that broken part! lol. Love all the feedback, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom