What to do with a 69? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Several months ago I got a deal a 69 fj40 that had been torn down by a previous owner who then gave up the project. I have hauled off all the parts that were beyond imaginable use and this rig has been taking up space in my garage ever since. I was going to extend the frame and shorten the body into a 45ish truck, but I have my 76 40 that is my wheeler and my 93 that will become my wheeler. I guess my question is, What do I do with the 69? I saved it from the salvage yard once because I hat to see cruisers die, but this is just a bare rusted tub, fairly clean hard top, with drum axles and a frame. Fenders have holes cut out where the lights rust through and the front bib is rusted pretty bad. Do I turn it into a trailer, sell the hard top, and scrap metal the remainder? Sorry to bothetr the list, just trying to ease my consience.

Trent Taylor
Orem Utah

frame condition is the critical issue...my rig started as a $200 junkyard rescue, and has been growing for 6+ years....

is your 76 wheeler a "casual" wheeler or "fullblown?" This might be an opportunity for a all-out project toy...

The frame on the 69 looks clean, just surface rust. It hasn't been on the road since the late 1980's. My 76 runs on 35, scout power steering, sm420, rebuilt 2f with a few hi-po tricks, snorkel, 4wdb, 4786... Sort of run of the mill but has gotten me anywhere I have wanted it to go. A full blown crawler would be fun, but I don't forsee the time or the money in the next few years. My neighborhood covenants won't allow me to put this rig outside...Long story. Anyway,

Trent

I would tube the top and throw a set of mog axles under it.

I would sell it on e-bay as a barely driven "great restoration" project and make a few$$$ ;)

If you don't know what to do with a 69 junks mama could maybe teach you!

Id say either sell it, or part it out. It would be really awesome to make a kick a$$ woods truck, but it doesnt sound like u can. maybe you could get one of those portable soft garage things, so it hides the truck. but DONT JUNK IT.

[quote author=1969cruiser link=board=1;threadid=10037;start=msg89251#msg89251 date=1073958219]
I would sell it on e-bay as a barely driven "great restoration" project and make a few$$$ ;)
[/quote]

Is your name Geg Mushro?

Do you have any pics you could post, and where are you?

Thanks!

-Steve

Thanks for all the responses. I'm working to not junk it. If anyone has a pair of mog axles they want to donate to the cause I guess I could go that route(twisting my arm you know). I actually have a bunch of 40 and 80 parts I will be selling soon, but I guess it is beyond my understanding someone paying big bucks for a stripped truckk. Yes I know people do it, but I would rather not contribute to the mental dissabilities of a few misguided souls. I'll try to get some pics posted.

Trent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom