What to do before running an 10+year old project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I should change the oil, fill the radiator. but is there anything I should do before running my project if it has been sitting for a few years?

The last thing I want to do is get it running and then destroy it. Any tips you guys have would be great.

hard to know the condition of things when you laid the cruiser up but things to think about are

1. oil change and prime the motor
2. fuel condition , was fuel left in the carb/tank?
3. battery condition, air filter rats nests
4. if its rolling , the brakes for leaks and function
5. fire extinguisher

Put marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and let it soak for a few days before even trying to rotate the engine. If the rings are stuck the cylinders this could free them up and prevent damage. Some have pulled the valve cover gasket and put oil on the rockers to help them a little. Prime the motor would be good. Mine had not been running for over 7 years. I did not prime the motor. I did soak the rings for a week, then added more and soaked for another 2 weeks. Then turned it over by hand a few times a day for a few days then turned it over with the starter motor. Then put the plugs back in, changed the oil and started it up.

Put marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and let it soak for a few days before even trying to rotate the engine. If the rings are stuck the cylinders this could free them up and prevent damage. Some have pulled the valve cover gasket and put oil on the rockers to help them a little. Prime the motor would be good. Mine had not been running for over 7 years. I did not prime the motor. I did soak the rings for a week, then added more and soaked for another 2 weeks. Then turned it over by hand a few times a day for a few days then turned it over with the starter motor. Then put the plugs back in, changed the oil and started it up.

x2 on marvel mystery oil, did that on my 1950 chevy panel truck--ran perfect after sitting for 15 years:steer:

Yes , Marvel Mystery is THE STUFF ( To Put It Nicely )!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom