what the hell is the big deal! (for those wrenchers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so we have yet another round of HG threads and polls. Who has had a HG problem, how can I avoid a HG problem, how can I predict a HG problem and how can I modify my tenp senser to help me avoid a HG problem.

What the hell is the big deal?

Just change the SOB out.

I know, if your going to pull the head then you might as mill it, if your going to mill it you might as well grind the valves, well if the top end is tight you'll need new rings, if your putting in new rings you might as well bore it and......

Well that's BS. If you have a good running engine right now there is no need to do all that work because there is nothing pointing to any of THOSE areas as needing attention. You just have the original designed HG that is prone to failure.

So $175.00 and a weekends worth of work gets the HG replaced and no more worries about failure according to PowderPig.

So help me understand the big deal about changing this HG out as a PM.

Dude, if a thread like this was started for every stupid trend, like more power, more mpg, more 2wd... more tires... more oil... more traction... more lift... more sliders...

There wouldn't hardly be a 80's "tech"....

I'm actually glad the dust was knocked off this old thread. Nice summary of
opinions on the subject which definitely boosts my confidence in tackling the HG.
My engine runs great with only 140k on her, but I'm big on all things PM when
some of the best wheeling in the country is a thousand miles away!!
Thanks for all the input. Steve

If most HG did go out then it could be good PM. As it stands, it is not "most" but "some". Every one I have seen go out had an obvious issue that was PM such as hoses, flush/fill, bad radiator, temp sensor, etc.... I am sure there are a others that just go out for no obvious reason but not all that many.

My wife's '96 FZJ80 125K miles. Pretty well on perfect service history. I found red coolant in the oil during a routine change. I did the HG the following weekend on it using the parts I had stockpiled for doing my truck - so my truck had to wait. I caught it very early and there was no damage. There was some slightly visible scrubbing on the PS of #6 on the head.

My '96 FZJ80 125K miles. Uncertain early life. Securely base lined and maintained since 105K. After I re-stocked my supplies that my wife's truck had needed, we tore into it. Why did I have the parts stockpiled? I was preparing for a supercharger installation. Anyway, pulled it down to the head gasket, and what do you guess we found? Slight scrubbing on the head at the exact same point in the #6 cylinder area. As far as I'm concerned, this one was a PM HG job and a trail disaster waiting to happen.

As normal PM I think this is a waste of time and money. You would be better off rebuilding your cooling system 100%.

Rebuilding the cooling system isn't a bad idea in itself. These trucks are all 15 years old - if there is a rubber part you haven't changed yet, thats just waiting for trouble.

However, from what I can tell, changing the HG is pretty good PM - especially if you have any additional reason to do it. It -is- very prone to 'while you're in there' projects. Frankly at that point half the engine bay is sitting on the bench and the other half you can reach directly. I don't care if you changed the PHH last year - if you have the head off, do it again. It's 2" of 5/8 heater hose. Only a fool would put the old fuel filter back on if they already have the intake out of the way of it. Getting the injectors cleaned may seem a bit over the top - I did it on mine getting the SC, not her's where it wasn't. Having the head milled - both of mine got a bit of correction. Alternator brushes while it's on the bench is a 5 minute $15 job. The list goes on and on. How much of it you do is a personal preference.

Still, of the two heads I've pulled off of my two FZJ80s, both of them needed a HG done even though only one of them had shown any symptoms.

You won't know if you need to do a HG job until you either blow the head gasket or change it as PM - changing it as PM you may or may not see the scrubbing starting. If you see the scrubbing then congratulations - your timing is perfect. If you don't, then congratulations - you now have a bit of peace of mind.

IMHO, YMMV, I am not clairvoyant.

I am afraid every time I get into my truck.. it has 308,680 miles on the original HG. I have every receipt from purchase from the PO (Old Virginia horse ranchers) and it's never been done but there's no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the ooil and no exhaust in the cooling system (I do a check with my tester every so often). Reading all the stuff that's been going on here,.. it just doesn't seem right to me.

But then again,.. I remember seeing all the LCs in the Middle East and Africa where they were running just fine for 100,000s of kilometers... broken suspensions... windows missing,.. dented all to hell but never anything done,.. and that makes me feel a LOT better.

Bill
TLCA#7390

I am afraid every time I get into my truck.. it has 308,680 miles on the original HG. I have every receipt from purchase from the PO (Old Virginia horse ranchers) and it's never been done but there's no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the ooil and no exhaust in the cooling system (I do a check with my tester every so often). Reading all the stuff that's been going on here,.. it just doesn't seem right to me.

But then again,.. I remember seeing all the LCs in the Middle East and Africa where they were running just fine for 100,000s of kilometers... broken suspensions... windows missing,.. dented all to hell but never anything done,.. and that makes me feel a LOT better.

Bill
TLCA#7390

Two different things... Cruisers in the middle east, and yours...

But what I hate most is when ppl think that old vehicles should last for forever...

If you PM them, they will last forever... But that costs money...

Machines do not last forever, and if you take care of problems BEFORE they become bigger problems, ppl would be a 1,000 times better off...

But if we had money, would we need to buy used cars?

One way or another, somethings gonna cost you x per mile to drive. And a 80 series is no exception...

:princess:'s just need to man up and expect that...

/ soapbox...

It's not the hood but the firewall that gets in the way of studs.

Dan, I've said this before, I would happily help you out with this, just don't force me to Keystone beer.

No experience with the 1fz but on the 7MGE (my old supra) it was a similar issue. You couldn't fit the head over rear studs. It's common practice now to only install the front ones and then put the head over them and then install the rear ones through the holes in the head. Is there a reason this wouldn't work? If it's only the rear ones, the front ones will give you plenty of guidance of where to sit the head. At least this is the case on the 7MGE. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom