What the 300 Series Should Look Like (It's Not Going To) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off a critique of the current gen.

The thing looks like a 2010 Lincoln Navigator. It's not horrible looking, it's not offensive, it's just okay. The average human being is not going to notice anything as it drives by them on the road. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but considering that the Land Cruiser is a flagship/halo SUV, I'd say that Toyota has an image problem with this vehicle. The Land Cruiser has been on sale in the U.S. since the 60s, but I'd guarantee you that not even 1 out of 10 people here know what it is. Unfortunately, that's because it is the reality that people driving $85k+ cars want people to know they are driving something that costs $85k+. It does seem Toyota tried to address this image problem by creasing a portion of the sheet metal, spawning a large grille in the front, and then slapping a Lexus badge on it. But then that created another quandary: the Land Cruiser then became its very own competitor. Despite all this, I do think there is a solution (you guys aren't going to like it). If Toyota wants this vehicle to survive (at least in the first-world countries), it's going to have to move upmarket once again.

The Land Cruiser has to go vogue.

The business objective: to re-create an iconic image. The name 'Land Cruiser' needs to become a household name. As it should be. It needs to be distinct, timeless, yet modern, all while paying homage to its past.

The side profile takes heavy influence from the 60-series Land Cruiser.

The rear is still very much Land Cruiser, and take the classic two gate system into the future.

The interior takes big liberties from Toyota's new Century flagship car. Just a nice, simple, upscale layout. A more industrial version of it. Now I know a lot of people don't like the iPad-stuck-on-the-dash trend, but it seems to be selling just fine.

As for the powertrain, since Toyota is a conservative company and tends to extend platforms 10-12 years, the thing has to be future proof and as the industry moves toward electrification, you can expect it to be a hybrid whether you like it or not (even if it isn't executed the way I envision it). I wouldn't mind hybrid version of the Lexus LS500's 3.5TT V6 mated with the 10-speed.

Speaking of Lexus, you may be asking what they would do with the LX if they were to move the Land Cruiser upmarket. (Note: when I say upmarket, I mean upmarket. The Land Cruiser needs to be positioned as a direct competitor with the Mercedes G-class and the Range Rover.) Instead of the Land Cruiser, I think the LX needs to be based off the next-gen Sequoia. This only makes sense since competitors like the Escalade and Navigator and QX80 are all based off of their GM, Ford, and Nissan counterparts. But then that would downgrade the LX compared to the current gen wouldn't it? I don't think so. If they can do something radical with the Sequoia, I think that could be solved as well. I would make the next-gen Sequoia the first ever full-size SUV with unibody construction. As the market shifts toward crossovers, I honestly think this would make economic sense as this would distinguish itself from the competition. Enthusiasts naturally would protest, but we live in a consumer-based market. By switching to unibody, we're looking at best-in-class ride, handling, and interior packaging. And before anyone talks about towing let me just say: if Audi can make a medium-sized crossover with a 7700lbs towing capacity, then a full-sized crossover is theoretically possible with an 8300lbs towing capacity.

LOL I know, looks boring as hell but tell me that wouldn't sell like hotcakes! Not too radical of a change from the current version.

My objective with the LX was to make it as ugly as possible, since it seems that is Lexus's current design philosophy. LMAO, I had to outdo the current version somehow,so I made the front 96% spindle grille.

Thanks for sharing. Not sure I dig the front and rear views. It has the resemblance of FJ cruiser from the front and LX from the rear. I think LC design should go far back to its grass roots and borrow from the classic look of the FJ60 and add modern touches to it. My $0.02 anyways :)

Silly thread is silly.

What the new US Land Cruiser SHOULD be:

2017-Toyota-LandCruiser-76-Series-Wagon-Review-by-Practical-Motoring3.jpg

I really like your simplified side view. I can see elements of Land Cruiser but my imagination can really fill in what I think it should be and apparently my imagination is brilliant!

I’ll be disappointed when it’s released but I’ll still want one.

You weren’t paying attention in class today, were you

Thanks for sharing.

Silly thread is silly.

What the new US Land Cruiser SHOULD be:

2017-Toyota-LandCruiser-76-Series-Wagon-Review-by-Practical-Motoring3.jpg
It's hard for me to look at a 70 series and not think of the Isuzu Trooper my neighbor had in the 80s. Ok, so I realize 30 years later Isuzu was ripping off the Toyota design, but I guarantee everyone in the US except for a die-hard cruiserhead would ask you if you've owned that Isuzu since it was new ;)

Meh, other than the FJ, Toyota doesn't really do retro. Nor do I believe it would sell.

Toyota and Lexus is waking up, and moving into bolder designs. Sometimes polarizing, but I'm all for it.

My 0.02
I agree that the LC and LX are direct competitors. However if we are in the theoretical realm I would approach it differently. Keep them both on the same platform but keep the LX where it is (luxury) and move the LC down market (utilitarian). Make the LC more bare bones: cloth seats, no rear seat entertainment, no interactive information system, no sunroof, no auto climate, No standard 3rd row, give it it a diesel or 4.7,... Get the price point down to ~$40k+. Then (really theoretical) for the LC there could be a limited platinum TRDpro $80-90k version (al la F150 Raptor).

Remember, the Landcruiser is not targeted for the US Market. Many more are sold overseas.... They are designed for those markets, not the US.

That's why I always laugh when people say things like "the new Landcruiser can't compete with xyz ford/land rover/mercedes" or "they should add this feature so they can compete with whatever luxury manufacturer". They aren't gonna add features to be competitive for the US market.
They aren't gonna make it more aggressive to make Americans like it.
Overseas they don't have to worry about competing with them. The overseas markets in Asia, middle east, Australia, etc chose Landcruiser over all without a hesitation. There, they care about important things, like reliability, practicality. Less about having the biggest grille or most chrome.
Europe 2005 land cruiser sales:36.302
US 2005 land cruiser sales: 4.870
Toyota doesn't care about the US Landcruiser market that much. Sometimes I wonder why they still sell them here with how few sell per year. Thankfully they do.

They don't need to "take over the US luxury suv market" or "make land cruiser a household name here".
They are doing just fine without dominating this market.

Land Cruiser is Land Cruiser, all others that you call SUVs can compete among themselves.... no others can take you from one end of this earth to the other, and still make it home.

Europe also has twice the population, is a significantly more diverse market and has additional trims/models.

If they didn't care about the Land Cruiser in the US, they wouldn't sell it. They're merely dedicated to the nameplate having a worldwide presence.

Plenty of people travel the world in non-LC without much of an issue. I get this is a Land Cruiser forum but the myopic view of the LC being the end all-be all is a bit weird.

:worms: Blasphemy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom