what springs to extend wheelbase bj/fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have heard of guys using rear springs from a 55 to extend wheel base. any other suggestions?
i noticed that if you spin your rear shackle hanger around you could get at least 3-4".
thanks,
eric

take your stock springs and flip them around and gain about 3". Can do both front and rear this way. Just make sure somehow you keep the military wrap at the fixed end. This may be easy if you have aftermarket springs with mil wrap on both ends (i.e. HFS) or you may have to remove the mil wrap leaf and swap that back around.

lots of info on this recently... search away

I used 60 series rears for the front and back on my 40 and flipped the rears.
i'm now at 104" wheelbase.

i also changed my hangers.

Hi All:

A fair amount has already been written about this here on MUD - try the "search" function.

That said, 60/70 Series rear leaf springs are an easy way to move the rear axle back; "flipping" these springs nets a little bit more wheelbase.

These springs will fit onto a 40 Series with slight tweaking of the fixed-end hanger, and either longer shackles or flipping the shackle hanger around.

Good luck!

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------
i have heard of guys using rear springs from a 55 to extend wheel base. any other suggestions?
i noticed that if you spin your rear shackle hanger around you could get at least 3-4".
thanks,
eric

Like the other guys said with 60 series springs... 60 fronts on the front extend your wheelbase slightly and 60 springs in the rear require you to either flip your shackle hangers or get new ones from a vendor like ruff stuff and install them reversed. I installed them without flipping the springs and it gave me about 96" wheel base and a MUCH smoother ride.

OH, and if you're doing this on an 8/80 or later FJ/BJ 40, the springs will fit with no issues that others with earlier FJ40's have concerning width and frame clearance in the spring hanger.

Cheers-
-Stump

You can run 55 or 60 rear springs on the front... and even 45 rear springs under the back... without moving any spring or shackle hangers.

I have this setup on one of mu rigs... been running it for a couple of years now.

I uses shackle gates up front to keep the rig nice and tight on the road.

Mark...

You can run 55 or 60 rear springs on the front... and even 45 rear springs under the back... without moving any spring or shackle hangers.

I have this setup on one of mu rigs... been running it for a couple of years now.

Mark...

shackle gates?

Mark...

Mark, can you describe/take pics of this please? You also mentioned this in a thread in hardcore corner. I have a picture in my mind but need it confirmed.

Thanks
Don

Right now the rig is sitting in a boat load of snow.... but I will try to get a pic tomorrow... Basically this is a heavy duty "guide" that the shackle sits in between when the suspension is at normal ride height. Heavy enough that the forces from cornering on the road will not cause the guide to shift. this keeps the shackles (These are long and at a very shallow angle) from shifting side to side... reduces stress on the shackle hangers and keeps the suspension from being very very sloppy. When the springs droop the shackles drop below the gate/guide and are allowed to twist and shift around. Probably would not work with short shackles, but there is not real benefit with short shackles either. I put it together because the leverage of the long shackles on my front end were wiping out the bushings real quickly and contributing to pretty sloppy steering on the road... Since the rig gets driven to some trailheads and occasionally around town this was a PITA.

Mark...

Mark

Thanks for your reply. Your description is good, same as what I had pictured in my mind. How much clearance did you leave between the shackle and the guide block on each side, 1/16th to 1/8th inch?

Don

None.. :)

They touch and side across each other... slightly polishing the surface as they move.

Mark...

Thanks Mark. This will be incorporated with my 60 series axles/FJ55 rear springs project.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom