What riding mower should I buy?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hydrostatics are great, I've only had one take a dump and that was the last Murray I bought, it was a known issue but HD didn't want to man up about it.

Anyways the snappers are great mowers, mine is probably 20 years old and runs like a champ, easy to work on and very, very simple in design. I've had walk behind and rider snappers and I love them. Today my son mowed the yards and used the snapper rider, hadn't been started in 6 months easy, first pull he was in business.

I have a family house in North Boston I am trying to sell. It's got a 3 year old Allis Chalmers Mower I am trying to get rid of. Only driven on Sundays and runs like a champ. Come pick it up. $900. Originally $1800. It's a hydro.

Don't know much about 'em, but I did just buy a used Honda riding mower (not a lawn tractor) from craigslist. I got the model with the hydrostatic transmission, which I hadn't used before, but after using it, I much prefer it to a mechanical transmission that I have used on a few lawn tractors. If you want a Honda rider, you will have to go used, as they don't sell them anymore. Parts are still readily available though.

You can buy any of the box store mowers they are most likely made by MTD. My suggestion spend as little as possible(under 1000). It will be a crap shoot on it working correctly right out of the box. Plan on spending sometime "tuning it". Also KEEP is clean and greased/oiled, it will help it last longer.

$1500 on a 42"+ rider is on the low side. Just plan on buying a new rider every three to five years. Repairs will add up quick and is will cut poorly at best. From what I have seen you are getting low quality unsealed pullys, model specific belts and crappy build quality on the low end riders. Usually the engines long out last the chassis and suspension on the cheap riders.

I would recommend buying a used honda, or old models listed in past posts.

I got a better deal on a used commercial walkbehind (not crazy88's wife cause tech she ain't a pro ;) ). Anyway, it's an Exmark Viking 48" with a 15hp Kawi. Thing only had 900 hrs on it and will likely last me the rest of my life (which some say won't be too long anyway :lol: ). It's dual hydro and you could put a sulky behind it. Much better cut, will last longer than the s*** you're looking at and doesn't way as much so won't damage your yard as much. Plus, they are like as easy as Gumby's momma to work on.

I picked up a 2003 John Deere LT155 this afternoon with only 86 hours run time. It cost $3800 new back in 03. I paid $1300 for it! I'm pretty stoked! Thanks for all the help.

Yep... CL

purchased John Deere l110 2 years ago, runs great today, very happy. it has a 19.5hp briggs and stratton.

i mulch 1 acre of lawn which has a couple of short steep slopes.

i know it's one of those el'cheapo JD's at home depot ... but it has been good to me.

:D

better late than never ... with a post

congrats on your purchase!

I bought this Husqvarna from the local Sears store 2 years ago. It has the V Twin engine and the hydro drive & i love it. I did have to have the valves adjusted on it the past year and i'm not too happy about the deck design. It kinda is hard to clean but other than that, it's been wonderful.

mower001.jpg

well a dealer I would say, whether it's Snapper or JD or Toro. The mowers at the box stores are built by the large vendors to the stores specs which usually is a cheaper construction to keep the price down. Those crappy ass Sabre's JD made for HD is an example, you never saw those at the dealer stores. You may only be talking a few hundred dollars but in the end it's worth it.

I bought a Sabre at the JD place here in town.

Never again will I go green.

I bought a Sabre at the JD place here in town.

Never again will I go green.

I wouldn't judge the whole line on their version of an econo tractor. Did you not get any support from JD?

Exactly!

Many companies off a price point model that is not built the same as thier middle class or commercial models.

Husqvarna bought the Kees line for thier commercial equipment. Thye also own BlueBird turf equipment, etc. I think they also own MTD for thier lower end stuff.

Buy one with a big Kohler magnum engine ...then at least you can share oil filters with your cruiser .... and your Harley (apparently)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom