What navigation system are you using? Digital, Paper, Both? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious what folks are running in their rigs for navigation? GPS's are great but don't show all the fire roads and backroads but does anything really do this. I was thinking of running my old iPad in the rig with Gaia maps. Seems to be the best for overloading and exploring the forests of the PNW. I always have a gazetteer in the rig but would love to start tracking some of these backcountry places Im going to. Plus sometimes a digital visual can be helpful when your out and about. Feel free to share and pics of your set up or whatever system works for you.

iPhone. Waze. For general street navigation.

Gazetteer is a good reference for exploring. Around here I know most of the roads

I'll second the GAIA GPS option. You really need the subscription to make it useful though IMO. Some of the maps you get access to for your sub are great and honestly shows information I am just not sure how you would get any other way. The Motor Vehicle Use Map you get with the subscription is awesome and perfect for scouting roads for 4WD travel. I still love being able to plot a route for a trip and have the ability to then transfer that route to your device. GAIA lets you do that. GAIA is sometimes a little clunky to me but I think most of it is me not knowing how to use it correctly. Dunno. I for years was a Garmin 24K user but the pricing for their gear is just so out of site nowadays as to generally put it out of reach for me. For basic street navigation I still use one of these Garmin NUVI devices from like 2010 or just my phone. HTH.

I am working on mine - bought a cheap 10" android tablet which is GPS capable, and once I finish doing my research I will load a couple of apps for off road navigation.
Any GPS app is only really as good as the base maps that are available for it. I am looking for one that has tracking, that is able to upload and download other people's routes, and that can load georeferenced maps from different sources. Part of the problem is that for where I am the remote maps are generally no better than 25000, so that only shows basic tracks at that scale.
Many moons ago there was a really good little app that could do everything like that, but I think it disappeared and I can't remember the name...... I think it was provided by a Russian kid.
Not long after I got the app, I broke my 4x4 of the time and had no use for it.
Just starting again to research what is around now, so I will be watching this thread.

neither...go old, very old school...dead reckoning. no electronics/digital stuff to worry about, no paper to rip to shreds or turn to mush. yeah, i might not know where right here is , but i always know i'm right here :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom