What is this cable coming out of starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
83 fj60, was just doing my weekly open my hood, check fluids etc. and noticed this cable is disconnected down by my starter. Is this suppose to be plugged in? What does this go too and why is it unplugged?

2CA2135C-0D06-4B95-A7AE-D7047394D81C.jpeg

AE73F0AE-6AD8-4C0C-8ECB-EA113CDD13A6.jpeg

prob the reverse lights or the 4wd light on the dash or both. There is a plug on the side of the transfer case that sends signal for 4wd indicator and I think the reverse sensor is on the transmission.

That has nothing to do with the starter. Not sure what the plug is for.

prob the reverse lights or the 4wd light on the dash or both. There is a plug on the side of the transfer case that sends signal for 4wd indicator and I think the reverse sensor is on the transmission.
I agree thats what it looks like odd you say everything is working tho

Or ....they did work, but just recently the plug came loose? Follow the wiring under the truck and take a pic of the sensors they lead you to. Also find the 4wd sensor on the passenger side of the transfer case and follow the wiring back to the firewall.

There are lots of unused connectors in the harness - one harness, multiple vehicle variants. Could be for an option your truck doesn't have.

I am looking at my truck now (84) and the 3 wire plug that is disconnected in your photo is in my truck as well. Mine however is connected and it goes to the reverse light switch on top of my 4 speed.

513A5287-958F-4242-A9A1-63B2F2A9B9CF.jpeg
F24BEC7D-F1CC-4FA3-B6F5-EB576B2A372B.jpeg

I think two wires run to the reverse light switch and the third I think goes to the 4wd switch.

So if your 4wd light comes on when you shift into 4wd and your backup lights are indeed working when in reverse then someone must have required them. You might want to shine a line back to the top of the transmission and look for signs of a new set of wiring (if everything is working now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom