What is causing this strange tire wear pattern?? (Pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a tire rotation and I noticed this.
It seems to be the inner tread, every other lug. One is wearing and it seems the other is not, almost taller than the neighbor lug, like every other lug is not touching the pavement. Is that possible?
Tires are 9 yrs old.
Rotated every 5k miles.
Eyeballing my front tires it looks like I have a positive camber. Could that be it? Or is toe off? I suppose an alignment would answer these questions but could it be anything else?
I have new tires on order and would like to fix this before I put them on!
TIA
DEE998DB-DA24-471C-9941-3DFBF7E107C2.jpeg
AC94B723-F456-4464-8439-7C19771F6F4E.jpeg
BE3D22B6-6287-44F6-868C-F00E504CA4AE.jpeg
55E5E901-19BA-406B-8115-34787C7CD7B8.jpeg
EC6DFE71-F3BF-4A7A-8D63-C0FD4EC02C6D.jpeg

First, those tires are in very bad condition and dangerous. Not the wear you are asking about but the cracking between the first and second lug rows on each side. Good thing you are replacing them soon. What you haven't indicated what the tire pressure is, how often they have been balanced, when the alignment was last checked.

I suggest that you get an alignment done prior to the tire replacement. The alignment technician will be able to see what is happening and possibly look for faulty components like bad tie rod ends, bad bushings, bent axle housing etc. Alignment after the new tires eliminates all that information.

Google "alternate lug wear" or "every other lug wear" and you will find you are not alone. This seems more prevalent on mud terrains. I could not find a definite answer, but it seems bad shocks, loose wheel bearings, or loose steering components are the most common culprits. A thorough inspection/repair of the steering and suspension systems followed by an alignment is a good start. Glad you have new tires on order, those have exceeded their useful life.

Most likely, it needs aligned. Went through this about six months ago. I'd dropped the tie rod about 2 years ago, but then decided not to do the TREs and put it back on. Thought I'd put it right, but nope. Ended up looking very similar.

I’ve seen this happen on some of our one tons. Almost always a broken band. But like others mentioned, those tires are pretty much shot.

Called cupping.... tire basically shot once it happens. Result of tire pressure, alignment and/or just a bad tire.

Thank you all for the replies. Based on those here is some more info:
-2013 (30k miles ago) Slee HD steering rod and drag link and tre added.
-new TJM springs and shocks added.
-all front bushings replaced. Front axle service around the same time.

makes me think it’s an alignment and/or my TJM shocks are done.

Alignment results done this morning. What do you guys think?
39BA312E-065E-4B13-B3EC-3EBC98A50E6D.jpeg

In my experience that is a sign of worn or improper length shocks. Not sure what’s going on with your camber. Unless you have really loose wheel bearings or bent front axle. The camber could be causing part of the problem since it looks to be on the inside of the tire.

yes, shop also said shock and springs were shot, which could be a cause, and that front and rear brakes needed full service! 🤑

In my experience that is a sign of worn or improper length shocks. Not sure what’s going on with your camber. Unless you have really loose wheel bearings or bent front axle. The camber could be causing part of the problem since it looks to be on the inside of the tire.
Camber has me confused too. I doubt its the axle because PO never off roaded and no accidents, and ive only done mild wheeling.

I would check the front wheel bearings and spindles first. You also want to look at castor correction. You didn’t post your lift spring height over stock or if you have correction bushings.
Will do.
TJM 50mm lift; progressive springs with 9 way adj shocks and castor correction bushings.

You need to do a full evaluation on the axle. Don’t overlook those caster bushings for wear or failure. As far as the alignment numbers, they could be better but they aren’t terrible to me except for the excessive toe. I run my toe close to zero.

You need to do a full evaluation on the axle. Don’t overlook those caster bushings for wear or failure. As far as the alignment numbers, they could be better but they aren’t terrible to me except for the excessive toe. I run my toe close to zero.

I read if you run larger tires you would want a bit of Toe in for better higher speed tracking. Not sure how much though.

Rick, I agree. Inspection shows the offset castor bushings from TJM are toast. Will move to a castor correction plate or Delta radius arms. Also here is alignment before and after. Toe adj much better.
4AB12541-A265-40C0-80DF-4E41160D3572.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom