What does OEM really mean? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's time to replace my water pump on my stock 1978 FJ40. Toyota doesn't make the part anymore. Among the many places that have the part, I can get it from a Toyota parts warehouse for $80, from Man-a-fre for $99, or from Cruiserparts.net for $25.

Several say the part is OEM, but does that just mean the part is built to Toyota specs? Or does it mean it just fits the same holes. I want a part that'll last another 25 yrs, but don't want to pay $100 for a part that is the same as a $30 part.

Any advice?

yeah for some reason thats the only waterpump Toyota doesn't make anymore. I used an aftermarket one for my 77, recall it being $50(forget the brand), seems to work just fine.

don't have an answer to the rest of your question

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer which means factory new. Parts warehouse probably has NOS (New Old Stock) on hand, Man-a-Fre the same, and Cruiserparts.net is likely a rebuild.

IMO, cruiserdan is the expert in this...

there are also oem replacement parts, oem rebuilt parts, oem not factory rebuilt.

if it comes in a toyota package its factory oem, if its a oem rebuilt it usually means its a factory rebuilt part, a part that is oem part that is rebuilt by another rebuilder that is not the Orginal factory, Then some replacement parts are duplicate parts made somewhere else.

Not being 100% toyota only specific, but check pricing and manufacture on the parts you buy, same parts can vary up to 20% on price between parts suppliers.

I got a rebuilt pump at napa. Only 24.00. It is easy enough to change that if it only lasts 6 years i will be happy, and it has a lifetime guarantee so i only "buy" it one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom