What does OEM really mean?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by purefj40, Nov 10, 2003.

1. purefj40

purefj40

It's time to replace my water pump on my stock 1978 FJ40. Toyota doesn't make the part anymore. Among the many places that have the part, I can get it from a Toyota parts warehouse for $80, from Man-a-fre for $99, or from Cruiserparts.net for $25.

Several say the part is OEM, but does that just mean the part is built to Toyota specs? Or does it mean it just fits the same holes. I want a part that'll last another 25 yrs, but don't want to pay $100 for a part that is the same as a $30 part.

Any advice?

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    yeah for some reason thats the only waterpump Toyota doesn't make anymore. I used an aftermarket one for my 77, recall it being $50(forget the brand), seems to work just fine.

don't have an answer to the rest of your question

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer which means factory new. Parts warehouse probably has NOS (New Old Stock) on hand, Man-a-Fre the same, and Cruiserparts.net is likely a rebuild.

IMO, cruiserdan is the expert in this...

4. HI^C

HI^C

there are also oem replacement parts, oem rebuilt parts, oem not factory rebuilt.

if it comes in a toyota package its factory oem, if its a oem rebuilt it usually means its a factory rebuilt part, a part that is oem part that is rebuilt by another rebuilder that is not the Orginal factory, Then some replacement parts are duplicate parts made somewhere else.

Not being 100% toyota only specific, but check pricing and manufacture on the parts you buy, same parts can vary up to 20% on price between parts suppliers.

5. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

I got a rebuilt pump at napa. Only 24.00. It is easy enough to change that if it only lasts 6 years i will be happy, and it has a lifetime guarantee so i only "buy" it one time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.