What do you know about German Shepards? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

they are _GREAT_ dogs but you have to spend time with them, just like any other member of your family...

We lost ours almost a year ago after having him for 11 years. Bismarck went to work with me everyday for the past 4 years. He had some serious cancer, but it finally was too much for him. Both of the GSD that we've had always stayed close and always wanted to keep you happy. As with any dog, exercise and genetics are key...

I would check with your local german shepard rescue...they can give you lots more information on a dog than picking one up from the pound or from a puppy mill. If you have any dog parks, head over there and find some people with shepards...

bk

127-2741_IMG.jpg

and Bismarck's last trip to the Outer Banks (notice the land cruiser content ;) )
DSC01244.jpg

Since we are talking German Shepherd health issues, I will go through some of the main ones:

2) Degenerative Myopathy. Think MS in dogs. It effects the spinal cord causing lack or control in the rear legs, eventually leading to paralesis. There is no conclusive study about it's genetic inheritance, but I am convinced it is genetic given the large number of Covey Tucker dogs that have it.

4) Gastric Torsion. Comes from eating to fast and exercising right after. Kills most dogs that get it. All large dogs are susceptible, GSD's more so than some other breeds.

Know of any good guidelines for avoiding/preventing these two? I'm hoping in a couple years or so to get a GS pup and I want to keep him as healthy as I can.

I have a 5 year old Shepherd. We got her when my 7 year old Black Lab died. She is very sweet, very loyal. She is great with kids Fred the 8 year old Bichon Frise bosses her around, she does not realize he is not bigger anymore.

(Don't tell my Wife I posted this picture, I am sure she would be pissed)

IMG_1208.jpg

Know of any good guidelines for avoiding/preventing these two? I'm hoping in a couple years or so to get a GS pup and I want to keep him as healthy as I can.

Risk management to reduce gastric torsion in large dogs is to slow down their feeding cycle (reduce the 'gulping' of air) and restrict activity immediately after feeding.

What works for me is to feed on an elevated platform (like so: DOGSTANDS - elevated dog feeding bowls) and add water to make 'soup' so they have to slow down their eating. When they finish I give them a treat that takes a while to eat (stuffed Kong, etc) so that they don't go tearing around right away. It's worked for the past 10 years/5 personal dobers/11 other dobers....

HTH

Risk management to reduce gastric torsion in large dogs is to slow down their feeding cycle (reduce the 'gulping' of air) and restrict activity immediately after feeding.

What works for me is to feed on an elevated platform (like so: DOGSTANDS - elevated dog feeding bowls) and add water to make 'soup' so they have to slow down their eating. When they finish I give them a treat that takes a while to eat (stuffed Kong, etc) so that they don't go tearing around right away. It's worked for the past 10 years/5 personal dobers/11 other dobers....

HTH

This pretty well covers it. For degenerative myopathy, you have to just try and check to see if there is any history of it in the line of dogs you are getting.

My buddies GSD was a nasty pos. Cujo type. Only dog I've ever been afraid of. That dog died a violent death when it got out and went nuts.

I also used to dog sit for a GSD police-dog reject. Damn dog loved me, loved it's elderly owners and maybe 2 more of their friends. She was a real hell hound though. They kept her carefully secured in the yard and house so she didn't eat anything she wasn't supposed to.

I think like most breeds, you have to find a reputable breeder for all the reasons listed by folks in this thread. I think the breed has a bunch of potential, if you get a good animal.

this one looks pretty good from 20 yards away...

245461967_daec10b76f.jpg

Best damn dog I have ever had. Got her while I was in college and single. She showed some jealousy towards my GF but tolerated her. Very affectionate but very protective of me and my parents.

Got married to the GF and she mellowed out on the jealousy thing some. She would always position herself between my wife and anyone who came to the door. Had two kids and she became their guardian. The sheparding really came out in her personality. She would always keep herself between the kids and other people or the street.

She was obsessive about frisbees. Could really run and jump and catch them. I could play rough with her and she would put her mouth over my arm and bite down just hard enough to let me know she could take me down if she really wanted to. The kids could terrorize her anyway they could think of and she would just lay there and tolerate it. She would just get up and move when she got tired of it.

She ended up having a stroke and passed on two months ago, she was 13 years old. Best dog I ever had. She didn't have hip dysplasia, but I could tell she had some arthritis towards the end. Rimadyl and dog treats with glucosomene helped with that though.

They are the only dog i would ever get again. Research the family history some before you buy. I also second the above about the Czech German Shepards, they need strong commands and lots of training.
4686.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom