What do real land cruiser owners think of the FJC? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having owned 26 landcruisers 40,45,55,60,80 series and one fjc all I can say each one is great in there own way!!! Hey there Toyota’s what’s not to like!!!!

Agree with what many have said in that the FJC is a different platform and worthy in its own right. Every time I see an FJC it makes me think how cool it would be to do a build using the latest in tech gear. Did not know this group was on Mud. Need to get out more.

The plan was to drive my FJ55 to the 2018 Rubithon but that didn't work out as the 55 was in for some upgrades and was not ready.

So the FJC made the 3000 mile trip to CA, wheeled the Rubicon Trail and got us back to CT without an issue.

Cheap excuse to post a picture:

untitled-0795.jpg
untitled-0851.jpg

The plan was to drive my FJ55 to the 2018 Rubithon but that didn't work out as the 55 was in for some upgrades and was not ready.

So the FJC made the 3000 mile trip to CA, wheeled the Rubicon Trail and got us back to CT without an issue.

Cheap excuse to post a picture:

View attachment 1848069 View attachment 1848070
Great pictures Joe! I miss wheeling with you.

I just sold my 2008 FJ with 158k and bought a 97 LC with 170k. Been about a month and I could not be happier.

The FJ was fantastic, but the 80 meets my needs better now. (4 doors and way more room).

I have owned a '74 55 an '84 60 and two FJC's. I absolutely love my current FJC and will never part with it. However, I do not consider it to be a Land Cruiser. It has the heritage feel but is, to me at least, a specialty vehicle for Toyota Truck enthusiats that didn't want to splurge on the LC without comprimising off-road ability, and loved the unmistakable styling. It does have a 4Runner feel but is just different from them all. I like to think it takes a page from many books.

I’ve had a mini truck, 1st gen 4 runner, an 80 and currently an FJ. The FJ blows them all out of the water easily. I’m one for nostalgia but the FJ Cruiser for me is perfect. I dream of restoring a 43 but I’ll never let the FJ go. My 80 I’d say is a close second but I’d still pick the FJ any day.

I enjoy all the banter about how a Toyota isn't really a Toyota and somehow misses "something." Sorry boys, get a real 4x4 and buy a Range Rover; only then will you know what you've missed.

:worms:

Ah, the good old days.

An 80 series was not a real Land Cruiser.

If it had coil springs / independant front suspension, it was not a real Land Cruiser.

The FJC is not a real Land Cruiser.

Just the current in an every changing list of "not real Land Cruisers"

I wheeled my FJC with 100 and 200 series Land Cruisers as well as 40's, 60's and 80's on the Rubicon Trail.

They all did what they were supposed to. I have a 70 series, the FJC is based on the Prada platform, which is a 70 series LC.

I like to be inclusive, all are welcome. It is definately easier to drive off road in the FJC vs either my 40 or 55. However, I will not give up either, as I enjoy the differences. Hopefully the LJ77 will see some trails this year.

The FJ Northeasters have their annual event April 25th thru 27th at Rausch Creek in Tremont PA.

Come join and see what FJC's can do. All are welcome.

FJ Northeasters

Ah, the good old days.

An 80 series was not a real Land Cruiser.

If it had coil springs / independant front suspension, it was not a real Land Cruiser.

The FJC is not a real Land Cruiser.

Just the current in an every changing list of "not real Land Cruisers"

I wheeled my FJC with 100 and 200 series Land Cruisers as well as 40's, 60's and 80's on the Rubicon Trail.

They all did what they were supposed to. I have a 70 series, the FJC is based on the Prada platform, which is a 70 series LC.

I like to be inclusive, all are welcome. It is definately easier to drive off road in the FJC vs either my 40 or 55. However, I will not give up either, as I enjoy the differences. Hopefully the LJ77 will see some trails this year.

The FJ Northeasters have their annual event April 25th thru 27th at Rausch Creek in Tremont PA.

Come join and see what FJC's can do. All are welcome.

FJ Northeasters

I don't have a problem with the FJC. It's a cool rig, built decently and works quite well offroad.

technicalities:
To slightly expand on "is a 70 series LC"

Thats Prado :) and FJC is the J120 3rd gen platform, which is still the "light/medium duty" version
The earlier LJ7x series were the "light duty" 70 series. They evolved into J90, J120, J150 current.
Your LJ77 is a light duty 70 series (mini truck/hilux drivetrain axles)

Toyota blurred these lines when they made the Prado which was a light/medium whatever version of the 70 series. After the J70 models, it has more in common with 4runners/surf/hilux than the 70/80/100/200 series cruisers that followed.

So while it's true, it shares a lot with the Prado...Land Cruiser Prado, it's a blurry line on being a Land Cruiser. I don't think Toyota has ever referred to the FJC as a Land Cruiser OR a Prado. It was designed as a nod/heritage/ whatever and died because the economy and 4 runner outsold it.

Like I said, I think it's a good vehicle, wheels pretty dang good and it's a Toyota. I'd have no issues owning one, just clearing up a little.

image.jpeg
For those who have a hard time deciding what model they like best, just get one of each HaHa. The LC has a model for just about everyone.
My 2013 FJC is my personal toy. + Runs smooth, fun to drive, can handle mild wheeling, - 2 door, back seat/no roll down window suck for family.
My 2003 GX470 is smooth, comfortable, very family friendly with a door for everyone and can handle the back road logging trails with ease.
My 1992 FJ80 is a tank and will go anywhere you point it. It's old skool and moves slow, stops slow, and gets 10-12 mpg but looks cool doing it.
I would trade them all for a new 70 series if they only sold them here....

Last edited:
It has a J in the model designation from Toyota.

It is a part of the Land Cruiser model family per Toyota.

Everything else is BS.
For those that don't know... GSJ-15 is the 4WD and GSJ-10 is 2WD.

What folks should be most concerned with isn't whether an FJ Cruiser is a Land Cruiser; but if a Land Cruiser is an as good as an FJ. Especially since most folk here claim their earlier FJ40/60/XX is so much better than ...

This is almost as fun as listening to people talk politics or who's sports team is best.

Take a not so modified 40 or 55 off road on some challenging trails and enjoy.

Then drive a FJC or 100 series or newer truck.

Power steering is a big plus. Those "buttons" really make things easier. Yes, ATrac and electric rear lockers do kind of spoil you.

However, it is fun to watch the young'ins complain about how their arms hurt after a good day on the trails without power steering.

Any day on the trails with any model is what it is all about.

I think the FJ stock smashes most other models stock. Once you start modifying it comes down to lockers, tires, and clearance. No 4WD is magic. I’ve had an 85 mini truck, 4 runner, 80, and FJ. Stock, if I had to get super remote.... FJ TT all day. I feel modifying them changes the entire question. At the end of the day they are all amazing, quality vehicles. It is really hard to outdo an 80 with lockers, but I am no longer in the SFA is always superior camp. I loved them all, but love my FJ the most because it’s my current rig : )
I long for a 43 though.

Regardless of truck and mods you have, I can show you a rock you can't get over. That's the hilarious part. Trails where guys have rutted out the path with 35" tires only takes a guy with 37" tires to get through. When the ruts hit 37" it takes a little larger tire. And a 36" rock in a creek bed will stop most trucks dead (true rock crawlers, maybe not). And I can also find examples of places where wheelbase is king, anything longer than a 1940's Willies would have to bend to get between the rock pylons.

Anyway - all this my truck is better than your truck is fun to listen to. Especially the real old timer that said the best way to travel was horse and wagon because you could unhitch the team to get around obstacles and over rocks; and some had 50 inch wheels to smooth out the bumps.

lol -- all in fun folks :)

I have a couple good friends with land cruisers and have met many cool LC owners along the way. Never have I met any one pretentious enough to tell me that my FJ was not part of the land cruiser heritage (until the internet that is). The fact that people would make an argument based on a few parts such as a SA front or some letters on a tag show me that they don't understand the heritage of the "land cruiser" family.
According to this ad, the latest FJC sounds more LandCruiser than any current LC I've come across. Keyboard Cruisers can cram it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom