What did you do with your truck this week? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drool. I coulda used one of them bolt on hair dryer things . Fixed my wheel chirping and stinkbug all at once......didnt help the running hot though :D

image.jpg

So last month or so ago I got my windshield replaced. The guy that did it apparently broke some plastic clips that he neglected to tell me about.
Saw something fly by my window while I was on 285 and thought to myself, hmm, that's weird I don't remember seeing anything in the road ahead of me...arrived at work parking lot exited and walked to rear of truck to go to side entrance of building...[cut to scene of me getting back into my truck after work, but coming towards the front of vehicle] W T F ?!!

windshield-fail.jpg

Called Sam and got the new part coming. Whole thing with 4 new clips is reasonably cheap, but unpainted (primer black). Got 4 more clips to do the other side since the antenna protruding through it is pretty much all that's holding it in place.

Got a new battery for the 40 this week for $11.95! That's right not even a dollar a volt, went into interstate battery to buy a blem last week and it was gonna be 40 bucks plus 25 until I brought back a core...I was like man I think I might wait till next week and just bring the old one, I know you'll reimburse me but just so we don't have to go thru the hassle....he's like no problem....and I kind of laugh and say I've got 4 old ones laying around and he says, bring them in we'll buy them, I ask how much, he says 10 bucks a piece...score....so after the one battery being the core turn in and the other 3 worth 30 bucks it cost me $11.95....I knew one day those boats anchors would pay off just sitting around!

It's a roller!!!!! All new bushings and OME 2.5" heavy lift. Left panhards loose until I get some weight on the frame

10392513_797997466897813_8532045522986909117_n.jpg

10500563_797997836897776_5550956579822421556_n.jpg

Awaiting parts to replace the sock filter in my gas tank! Hope its delivered today so I can knock it out tomorrow (unless i have to work)

Sat and watched the 100 get loaded on a roll back. Funny thing as I stood and looked on the .lb rating for the roll back, I realized it is not but a few pounds shy of the capacity of the the truck (F550). Damn you fuel pump. The 60 fuel pump let me know a whole lot better when it was giving up the ghost.

Awaiting parts to replace the sock filter in my gas tank! Hope its delivered today so I can knock it out tomorrow (unless i have to work)
Knock your socks off? ...nevermind ;)

Ended up arriving late so did not get to install it. :-( next day off some time in August

Over the past few weeks...oil change to 15-40 Rotella and replaced K&N filter with OEM, new OEM air filter, replaced rear diff fluid, new OEM rear rotors and calipers, new brake pads, new ujoints, replaced plastic gears in passenger seat, unclogged AC drain and sunroof drains, added factory cup holder, replaced washer fluid diverter, new wipers, cleaned up about half of the surface rust on the welds of my frame and painted over. Fixed my rattly EMS exhaust and heat shield. I need to get the muffler shop to redo the whole exhaust from the muffler back. It's touching the rear crossmember. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I have new motor mounts and a new transmission mount waiting to be installed. Also have new rear bearings and seals to install at some point. The bearings and seals seem fine right now, so I'm waiting on that. PO included the new stuff with the sale though.

Haha, not really. Just trying to get everything baselined and done to my liking before hunting season starts this year. Don't want to be broken down in the middle of the woods. The PO had just rebuilt the front end and replaced all coolant hoses and vacuum hoses/pvc right before I purchased it. He did a lot of maintenance items, which I was pleased with.

The body and frame have been separated and the frame has been pressure washed. It will now be stripped to the bare frame, paint stripped and painted gray like the frame pictured below (my 80). Two LCs in the shop now with bodies off.

All body parts and interior from the silver 1986 FJ60 are for sale. PM if interested

10479049_802589353105291_4118548116391493515_n.jpg

10530808_802589799771913_8954398955662955214_n.jpg

10392513_797997466897813_8532045522986909117_n.jpg

I noticed a leak on the driveway for the first time today. Turns out the breather hose pulled off the front diff. I need to add longer hoses this weekend it seems.

Last weekend going down to drill in Ft. Jackson my alternator started to go on me (lights going dim then bright and back). I looked for a replacement and upgrade and found a 200A one on e-bay for around $200 with shipping. Looking back I should have put more thought into it. Having 200A alternator required me to install a larger power and ground wire (2 gauge) wire which I did not have on hand but I did have running to my winch. I had an extra 4 feet of each wire. I am still waiting on a 200A circuit breaker for things to be 100% safe. (I bought a second circuit breaker for my winch as well).

The good: I have plenty of power now more than enough to run my winch, dual electric fans, aux. lights, and probably a small village if need be.

The bad: My 16 year old 3rz-fe with 211,000 miles is a bit weak, when I turned on my lights I have to do it slowly at idle (the initial current spike actually stalled the motor, so I have to turn on the parking lights, wait a second, then turn on the headlights).

The first time I tried out my new alternator I found the weak link in my ground circuit. I had a small 14 gauge wire going from my fender where my KC Daylighters relay was located (I installed it to give it a better ground though not necessary). I started to smoke the wire with all the lights and aux. lights on. I cut the wire and things have been good since.

Conclusion: Looking back I could have done without all the extras (aux. lights, electric fan, etc.). I feel that sometimes I create more work by "improving" my Tacoma. It doesn't make since to go back though (blood, sweat, and money spent). Now I feel that I need to focus on working on the wiring on my Tacoma (starting to look cobbled together) find a decent fuse block and take the birds nest of wires going off the battery terminals. I'll let everyone know how the clean up goes. In the mean time I have to fix my A/C (which quits after about a half hour of driving) and an air bag light that stays on (open in the squib B circuit).

087.JPG
088.JPG
089.JPG

Finally had a day off.... got my in tank fuel filter changed and started removing carpet. And found a random horse shoe hiding under the carpet.

1406504614698.jpg

1406504630975.jpg

1406504674517.jpg

1406504683552.jpg

1406504693861.jpg

Surry county wanderings with phteven (fj40z). Trying to find a close spot we went up to pilot mountain for a night of gluttony by the campfire and then circled the park and fished the yadkin with no luck but scouted some put in and camp options for a canoe trip.
image.jpg
image.jpg

So Kevin did your LC just earn her nickname of "Lucky Charms" ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom