Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need to recheck my work in the morning but looks like I need 4 new shims and a bunch of swaps.
IMG_20210516_214948735.jpg

If you are down to zero clearance, i'd say you have some decent valve seat wear going on, either in the valve or in the head. Hopefully getting it shimmed back, you don't see too much more wear and it's not a valve head separating from the stem.

If you are down to zero clearance, i'd say you have some decent valve seat wear going on, either in the valve or in the head. Hopefully getting it shimmed back, you don't see too much more wear and it's not a valve head separating from the stem.
I would hope that in his case it’s just wear and not “tuliping” of the valves. I wouldn’t think that there’s enough heat for that to happen on your gas engines. Now on my engine, this is a possibility. The way the fueling was set up when I got my truck, full kill, I was definitely hitting egts over 1300 in the cylinders.

It's a toyota not a Volkswagen..lol..

I got a few hours to work on the hot rod today. Started putting together the front axle. Swapped out the front brakes for the 93-97s, drive flanges from the FZJ also, and installed the RCV axle shafts. I had forgot that the shafts were rifle drilled.

View attachment 2676258

View attachment 2676259

View attachment 2676260

View attachment 2676261

View attachment 2676262

View attachment 2676263

View attachment 2676264

View attachment 2676265

View attachment 2676266

The zirc fitting so you can flush the birfs without taking them apart????

The zirc fitting so you can flush the birfs without taking them apart????
Yep! Pretty cool. I did put a full tube of grease through each one already.

Ok that just makes too much sense. Repack without dissembly .

I've not had time to work on anything! In fact this week is the first vacation time I've taken since October (I worked straight through Christmas and New Year's weeks) and I'm catching up on all those things that keep the house from collapsing or being repossessed.

In any case I'm starting to worry about the 1FZ I built 6 years ago. When cold cranking it seems like one cylinder may crank a little faster - which made me think about compression. I had my mechanic do a compression check, and he measured 130, 140, 150, 140, 150, 150. Hmm. Would I hear that 130 on #1 in how the starter cranks? I wish I had checked compression 6 years ago. I was hoping to replace the tires this winter (the MTRs are great fun everywhere except roads) and now I'm not sure what I want to do.
Update - valves are re-shimmed, and my compression test (different gauge from last time) shows 160 160 155 155 160 160. Some valves were off by a lot more than others so it bears watching, but in the end I think I'm looking at wear over 250k miles not the 30k since the rebuild. I am certain I never adjusted the valves before, but I think I remember planning to do it after the rebuild...and never got to it. 1 and 4 were definitely off the most. #6 clearance is now at the loose end of the tolerance range, but within spec, and I see in the old compression figures it was doing ok. So it was probably more like .08mm not the <.04mm I measured.

Good enough for now.

Update - valves are re-shimmed, and my compression test (different gauge from last time) shows 160 160 155 155 160 160. Some valves were off by a lot more than others so it bears watching, but in the end I think I'm looking at wear over 250k miles not the 30k since the rebuild. I am certain I never adjusted the valves before, but I think I remember planning to do it after the rebuild...and never got to it. 1 and 4 were definitely off the most. #6 clearance is now at the loose end of the tolerance range, but within spec, and I see in the old compression figures it was doing ok. So it was probably more like .08mm not the <.04mm I measured.

Good enough for now.

You coming with us on Sat?

We got a temporary move permit for the 40 today, step one in getting it back on the road. The next step is a visit to Martech to get the rear diff sealed up. After that I have to get it to 1) pass smog 2) register it as a classic. I have a sentimental attachment to the current tag number, it was the only tag my Dad ever had in Nevada, Belair Wagon, Corvair, Caddiliac(s), Blazer, it was his DD tag. Not sure if I can go classic reg and keep it.

If you need help passing smog I have a few tricks..

I believe that I now have all the parts needed to get the truck back together. As soon as I get home, the mad push will happen. I’m trying to have it moving with its own power by tomorrow evening.

Tried a few timing adjustments using 580 thru Pleasant Valley as the test track. If there is any difference between 6 and 10 degrees on 87 octane ethanol free I sure can't tell. Same fuel consumed, same speed floored at the same landmarks.

I still have a high RPM vibration I feel through the wheel and seat just before it shifts. I'd hoped the valve problem was the source, looks like not. I might swap in the unmodified fan clutch and see if it changes.

Fan clutch wasn't it. Ryan and I took it for a drive. Vibration is tied to RPM and load. Very strong at the transfer case shifter. Will probably be investigating front 250kmile drive line next, though I suspect I had the bearings replaced at some point.

Fan clutch wasn't it. Ryan and I took it for a drive. Vibration is tied to RPM and load. Very strong at the transfer case shifter. Will probably be investigating front 250kmile drive line next, though I suspect I had the bearings replaced at some point.
I have a double cv front shaft, and only a total of 114k miles on the truck, but I just found out that my front ujoint is bad. Picked up a new one from Driveline today. $28 for a US made one.

I have a double cv front shaft, and only a total of 114k miles on the truck, but I just found out that my front ujoint is bad. Picked up a new one from Driveline today. $28 for a US made one.
Is that Driveline & Gear Service of Reno Sparks, or Driveline Services in Carson?

I pulled the front driveline, and the vibration is still there but reduced. Do the driveline isn't the source. But I also believe I never replaced the front U-joints, so I'll call Driveline & Gear in the morning and see if they can do a quick U-joint replacement while I have it out.

I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed me doing 4k-5krpm down the street in 1st gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom