Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_20210612_184112632.jpg

After 7 years I finally put in a new second battery tray and returned the one I borrowed from Ray. While I was in there I moved the charging relay inside the battery tray to keep it cooler.

The driver's door handle on my 80 has cracked and will fail soon, anybody have spares? Preferably in the dark green but beggars can't be choosers.

I will see yours and raise you PARTSOUQ.com

Shipping might be the killer but order some other things while you are there. Literally have gotten stuff from them in DUBAI faster than stuff here in the states.

Last edited:
@Tony_Farson @gregnash have you used those vendors before?
Yup I use Partsouq all the time. Super fast shipping and prices are usually either real competitive or better than US.
Main thing I use for is p/n reference, then plug into the good ole google machine and see if anyone is close domestically.
For instance, just looking up p/n's for replacing injector O-rings/Grommets with OEM for Alita... Called Carson City Toyota and they wanted $5.99/ea for each of the three (three per cylinder so 8 of each), Partsouq has them for $1.50, $1.65 & $1.70 ea. shipping is $14.
State-side McGeorge is usually my go to and even they want $3-$3.50/ea. for each of them.

Yup I use Partsouq all the time. Super fast shipping and prices are usually either real competitive or better than US.
Main thing I use for is p/n reference, then plug into the good ole google machine and see if anyone is close domestically.
For instance, just looking up p/n's for replacing injector O-rings/Grommets with OEM for Alita... Called Carson City Toyota and they wanted $5.99/ea for each of the three (three per cylinder so 8 of each), Partsouq has them for $1.50, $1.65 & $1.70 ea. shipping is $14.
State-side McGeorge is usually my go to and even they want $3-$3.50/ea. for each of them.
“That’s why I go to Canada for my prescriptions” you know what I mean, same difference.

Yup exactly.. Just ordered all the parts to replace that stuff from partsouq. Total was $55 with shipping but like I told Ryan, that's better than paying the 300% markup of the dealership! And that was even adding the crush washers (x4) for the banjo bolts on the rails.

So for tracking for you guys.. I placed the order just before 3pm our time, already received emails stating it was received and processed (meaning they acknowledged payment). Next step will be receiving shipping notification which will probably happen tomorrow if not Friday, then via FedEx is 3-7 day shipping. Knock on wood it is here by Monday/Tuesday next week.

The 100 is spending a week at the spa. Last Thursday the serpentine belt came off on the way to work, NBD I thought, I'll just put it back on when I get to work, I thought. Later that same day I discovered that the reason the belt came off was that the AC compressor was completly unattached to the engine. Got on the phone ordered replacement bolts, went back out later to retrieve the belt and surveyed the job of replacing the bolts, went back inside and scheduled a service appointment at Toyota. Fast forward past the call to AAA for towing (I didn't trust that the battery would last long enough to get to Toyota).
Monday I get a call, the bolts didn't simply vibrate loose, they sheared off. Cheap Japanese crap, couldn't take a few thousand miles of washboard road. The call today was that they discovered a leak in the coolant housing behind the water pump. The fact they had the water pump off tells you the magnitude of replacing the AC compressor. The good news is it will only cost $500 to replace the part since they have the car torn apart that far anyway, this made me so happy I could have danced. (Insert your own sarcasm tags to that comment.)

All in all annual maintenance on the truck is still less than 12 months of car payments so there is that to consider.

Not sure what I would have done if this had happened in BFE though.

Blew a turbo seal,. Pull the exhaust housing should be real evident with that much oil...
Well, this is fun. I ran my catch can to atmosphere. At sometime the other day, it fell down between the frame rail and a brake line. It got pinched! It ended up popping out the dipstick and puking out about a gallon of oil. Got that all fixed and cleaned up, but now I’m burning oil. Like a qt/100 miles burning! I haven’t burned a drop since purchase, about 10k miles.
Any ideas? Definitely going out the exhaust.

The 100 is spending a week at the spa. Last Thursday the serpentine belt came off on the way to work, NBD I thought, I'll just put it back on when I get to work, I thought. Later that same day I discovered that the reason the belt came off was that the AC compressor was completly unattached to the engine. Got on the phone ordered replacement bolts, went back out later to retrieve the belt and surveyed the job of replacing the bolts, went back inside and scheduled a service appointment at Toyota. Fast forward past the call to AAA for towing (I didn't trust that the battery would last long enough to get to Toyota).
Monday I get a call, the bolts didn't simply vibrate loose, they sheared off. Cheap Japanese crap, couldn't take a few thousand miles of washboard road. The call today was that they discovered a leak in the coolant housing behind the water pump. The fact they had the water pump off tells you the magnitude of replacing the AC compressor. The good news is it will only cost $500 to replace the part since they have the car torn apart that far anyway, this made me so happy I could have danced. (Insert your own sarcasm tags to that comment.)

All in all annual maintenance on the truck is still less than 12 months of car payments so there is that to consider.

Not sure what I would have done if this had happened in BFE though.
Right!! This is what I am going through now chasing the P0171 code. Replaced quite a few things that really were on the verge of needing replacement anyways at 200k+. Still one last thing to replace after replacing fuel pump and filter last night (which was a :banana: job really). Next is the grommets/o-rings/insulators for the injectors as I have leaks at #5 and #8 at least! Probably something that should have been replaced when I had the starter done March last year but I didn't know.

As Ryan told me when he did my TB/WP service, replacing the Fan Bracket while you are in there is good preventative maintenance, its out already so might as well. Mine was making a bit of noise so had him handle after.

"While I'm here" is a slippery slope.. but sometimes the pease of mind is worth it.

Just lost an a/c belt.. . It looked good but I knew was old when I put it back on last year.. ..had to stop and buy one and install to keep cool..

I have the FJ40 a bath this morning. I wanted the soft top clean before I stored it for the summer. It needs a coat of 303 Spaceage Protectant.

I also got a GPS speedometer/inclinometer

Let me know what your thoughts are on that gizmo. I've looked at those before but would like to hear some first hand reviews first.

Yup exactly.. Just ordered all the parts to replace that stuff from partsouq. Total was $55 with shipping but like I told Ryan, that's better than paying the 300% markup of the dealership! And that was even adding the crush washers (x4) for the banjo bolts on the rails.

So for tracking for you guys.. I placed the order just before 3pm our time, already received emails stating it was received and processed (meaning they acknowledged payment). Next step will be receiving shipping notification which will probably happen tomorrow if not Friday, then via FedEx is 3-7 day shipping. Knock on wood it is here by Monday/Tuesday next week.
Alright guys, should have parts either today or tomorrow. Looks like it got hung up in Italy in customs for an extra day but otherwise showed finished processed on Sunday/Monday and shipped that day. According to FedEx tracking, parts were at Reno warehouse as of 5am this morning so possibility it could go out on a truck today but showing deliver for tomorrow.

Alright guys, should have parts either today or tomorrow. Looks like it got hung up in Italy in customs for an extra day but otherwise showed finished processed on Sunday/Monday and shipped that day. According to FedEx tracking, parts were at Reno warehouse as of 5am this morning so possibility it could go out on a truck today but showing deliver for tomorrow.
And parts have been delivered! So that is a week from time of purchase to delivery from DUBAI!

Let me know what your thoughts are on that gizmo. I've looked at those before but would like to hear some first hand reviews first.
I did a trail run in the CRV. The Speedo isn't spot on but closer than my guestimation. The inclineometer seems to work as advertised, I may compare it to my angle finder but in reality if the alarm goes off I'm probably to far into it to do much. It has a clock which is something I always missed about the 40 when it was my commuter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom