Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put in all new wiring in my 80 for the trailer lights. A few weeks ago when I plugged in a borrowed trailer, the original Toyota diode pack died - so even with the trailer disconnected I kept blowing fuses. Probably a fault in my socket, the trailer worked fine on another truck. So I picked up a Tekonsha tow wiring package with the isolator. I still had leftover Sumitomo crimps (the vast majority of my 80's connectors use these) from the locker install, so I modified the Toyota Y harness to add reverse lights without using the T taps - the blue double crimped wire in the pic replaces the original red wire. The potted isolator lives on top of the spare tire cross member, as well as the coiled up mass of too long cable back to the socket. If I get really bored I'll shorten that cable.

To do: bring the trailer power wire across the radiator support to the second battery. I don't have a trailer that uses that pin, so no rush.

IMG_20200729_172709599.jpg

Ramping up to finally get the springs corrected (probably replacing the main spring) and the head gasket situated. I am still not idle though... Got some stuff back from the powder coating shop and I am fixin to take another batch to them and some stuff to Apex for some yellow zinc.

IMG_20200731_154658.jpg

That's my new upper thermostat housing setup for the oil cooler, the handle to the hatch, and my alternator bracket. I'll likely order new emblems all around (and leave them chrome) so I thought I'd see if I like them blacked out... jury is still out.

Spent the about 4hrs today replacing the factory amp in Alita today. This was one of the final stages of the stereo upgrade. The stock amp has a floating ground issue when a new headunit is installed. Luckily the site TLCFAQs has a great wiring diagram to bypass the factory amp (if necessary) and also shows speaker wiring and amp trigger wires. Last part of the replacement will be replacing the rear door speakers and then eventually adding a small compact powered sub in the rear. The sub mount will take some fabrication so I got to figure that out first as I want to keep as much room as possible back there for dogs, camping gear, etc.

Old Factory (Old n Busted) vs. New (Hottness)
Factory amp was 170w x 5-channels from what I have read. New Taramps is a 400x4 (both at 4ohms).
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Here she is in her new home. I need to do different RCA interconnects as these ended up being WAAAYYY too long.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Keeping the factory alarm, or upgrading that too?
I'm debating whether to replace or just remove mine.

Has the keyfob transponder immobilizer system integrated into it so I don't believe I can remove or bypass.
Still have electrical gremlins that are reeking havoc on my door locks and alarm (door locks are setting alarm off).
Oddly enough, think it may be due to a shoddy install of the remote start as pretty much any electrical signal is signaling a door lock when vehicle is off (pressing brake, electric motors on seats, opening another door other than drivers.)...

I got the 40 ready for our field trip to Carson City on the 22nd. We will be pulling the springs and shipping them back for correction and replacing the head gasket. Hopefully I will have my springs back by mid-to-late Sept. I hope I can pick up the pace after this...

IMG_20200809_082425.jpg

IMG_20200809_082410.jpg

I'll pull the tub to take another blasting run at the crummy bedliner on the interior and hopefully get all the other panels blasted clean too. I have to pick up my dual Long Rang Tanks from Georg on Sept 15 (they are on a ship from Australia), then it is time to start fabricating and welding. Repair rust, plug holes in the firewall and dash, and weld up the cage and frame tie-ins. Then I get to pull it all back apart again to get the tub and panels painted and the cage powder coated.

One of these days I'll get to move into the final assembly phase...

My good friend Ryan was kind enough to let me bring my 40 to his shop and "help me" with replacing the head gasket (long story) on an engine that's never been run and to pull the springs (another long story) so I can return them to the mfg for some fine tuning/correction. I did the helping since he's the master Toyota mechanic.

Here's hoping this work gives me the much needed wind back in my sails to get this thing moving forward again. Now my garage is less one Land Cruiser, so I can pull the Bronco in to do some work on it out of the sun and smoke.

IMG_20200822_114024.jpg

LOL... I figured the ration of s*** you got with the Bronco on the Hunter Lake run would have been enough!!

Wanted to let you know that there is a nice 3rd Gen 4Runner sitting on the lot at Capital Ford for sale. Didn't see how much, just passed by it as I was headed to South Carson.

LOL... I figured the ration of s*** you got with the Bronco...
:rofl:

@reklund5 and I have had the work on the 40 planned for over a month. The Bronco didn't really play into it. I was shamed enough to start searching for some Toyota's initially though... but I have zero interest in getting another vehicle right now and contrary to popular (delusions) opinion, even Toyota's break down. The fact that my stock 28 year old Bronco does all that it does for me, I cannot begrudge it one or two failure since I've owned it.

I did give it some love this weekend too. I finally put new mirrors on after having them coated with Cerokate.

IMG_20200823_113057.jpg

IMG_20200823_113044.jpg

Polishing the turd! :poop:

@reklund5 is coming over sometime early next week to help me get the tub situated on the dolly @lelandEOD gave me (thanks!) and I am hauling down to @hairy_apple so we can start doing body work. Any chance I could get a couple other folks to come over to help lift the tub while we position the dolly?

My good friend Ryan was kind enough to let me bring my 40 to his shop and "help me" with replacing the head gasket (long story) on an engine that's never been run and to pull the springs (another long story) so I can return them to the mfg for some fine tuning/correction. I did the helping since he's the master Toyota mechanic.

Here's hoping this work gives me the much needed wind back in my sails to get this thing moving forward again. Now my garage is less one Land Cruiser, so I can pull the Bronco in to do some work on it out of the sun and smoke.

View attachment 2412543

Man, we totally should have notched and welded tubes into your rear channel while we did the shackle hangers and stuff last year. Oh well.

Man, we totally should have notched and welded tubes into your rear channel while we did the shackle hangers and stuff last year. Oh well.

There's a s***ton I should have done before I powder coated the frame. I am game to sand off whatever powder is needed or even cut and reweld whatever you think we should do now. Rattlecan is my friend!

I'm all loaded up for the trip to @hairy_apple's house to get the body work done along with a bunch of other fab and welding. I'm pretty sure @Krusty Krab, @Mc Orange Crush, and @reklund5 and I put the tub on the dolly the wrong way @lelandEOD. Oh well it is strapped down very well, should be fine.

IMG_20200916_125225.jpg

IMG_20200916_125242.jpg

IMG_20200916_125307.jpg

I'm excited, tomorrow will be fun. Trying to find some spot weld cutters this afternoon, and going to clean up the shop a bit, but otherwise ready to go tomorrow. It will be nice to start making some progress on your tub.

Now we just need a way to precisely control the timing of the atomization of all that fuel!

In due time! Right now my focus is on springs (ALWAYS SPRINGS!) and wrapping up the sheet metal work so I can get it together and get the cage built around this uber tank.

Wow that should take you down the road a bit. The weight of all that gas will be 300 pounds:pig:. What is the word on the springs? shouldn't you have them by now?:bang::hmm:

I spoke with them on Friday... or maybe Thursday. They are shipping to me this week, so I should have them sometime next week and I'd like to get them back on the 40 the following weekend if @reklund5 is around. The plan is to tow the rolling chassis to @hairy_apple's place to mount the tub so we can test fit the main tank and get the seat cradles and roll cage welded up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom