Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I didn't DO anything with my Cruiser today, but did DO some stuff for my cruiser. Lots of ordering...

I ordered my Aluminum Radiator and Electric Fan combo today
180_straight_wm_white.jpg

I also ordered my Dakota Digital HDX Gauges
prd_1062.jpg

I ordered my full profile roll cage with chassis tie-ins , seat cradle system and other goodies.
MT-FJ40-1101_02__96520.1512783730.1280.1280.jpg

Finally I ordered my seats, brackets, and belts.
baja-rs-07_2.jpg

I also sourced my 88-90 FJ60 outers and finalized the deal with Georg over at Valley Hybrid for my trans, case, and axle rebuild/upgrades. I plan to drop it all off on Thursday. Last "big ticket item" is the Atlas Springs. Georg has agreed to talk with Atlas on Thursday to make sure I get everything ordered up right. He said he really likes my plan for this build (with a few tweeks of his own). I am so excited to start building!

Next up is to pull the tub from the chassis so I can get it all cleaned and upgraded before I start bolting everything on. I am grateful to all in the club who are coming this Sat at 1PM to help me with that part.

Question: How have you guys moved a frame without axles? Any tricks other than brute force and six people?

Harbor freight trailer, hf furniture dollies or a cherry picker.

Welp... I got the HB dollies and HB cherry picker and I have a trailer with a winch. I used all of that along with some plumbers take to strap the frame to the dollies when we moved. I guess I'll rinse and repeat for getting the frame to the media blaster... then the welder... then back to home for the POR15. Thanks @WILLD420 :)

Nothing really... Got the new to me JimC rebuilt carb on the truck on Monday last week and then finally had to fill the tank yesterday. Put 19.6 gallons in so will not start the process to see how much of an increase I get from a properly running carb. Previously was avg. about 8mpg with a mix of city/hwy. Strict hwy would get me between 12 and 13mpg but I rarely do that. Talking with Jim, I should avg around 10mpg on a healthy engine with a properly running carb around town.

Nothing really... Got the new to me JimC rebuilt carb on the truck on Monday last week and then finally had to fill the tank yesterday. Put 19.6 gallons in so will not start the process to see how much of an increase I get from a properly running carb. Previously was avg. about 8mpg with a mix of city/hwy. Strict hwy would get me between 12 and 13mpg but I rarely do that. Talking with Jim, I should avg around 10mpg on a healthy engine with a properly running carb around town.

Have you seen the new Holley Sniper 2-Barrell EFI? It is half the cost of the custom kit I had made (a month before Holley announced :cautious:). I'd be your TLCS would love the benefits of an EFI! :)

Have you seen the new Holley Sniper 2-Barrell EFI? It is half the cost of the custom kit I had made (a month before Holley announced :cautious:). I'd be your TLCS would love the benefits of an EFI! :)
Yeah there are a couple guys in th 60 section that have install the AFI/FiTech/Holley/Howell systems and love them. Once priced out for everything you are looking close to about $2k for the full system (including everything from dizzy to fuel pump, etc.) so the $500+ I spent on the JimC carb, while 1/4 to 1/3 of the price has been awesome. Haven't really had any issues with it starting with the cold weather at this point but then again I drive it daily.

Took a little trip to Stockton to visit Georg over at Valley Hybrids. I detoured to Granite Bay to pick up outers for my front axle assembly rebuild then dropped it all off so Georg and his crew can do their magic. His shop is super cool!

IMG_20181206_105835.jpg

IMG_20181206_105844.jpg

I got some goodies in the mail today too.

IMG_20181206_163148.jpg

IMG_20181206_163154.jpg

IMG_20181206_153947.jpg

IMG_20181206_154803.jpg

So yeah... Now I am broke again! :crybaby:

Yeah Georg is good people! Haven't been to the new shop yet but one of these days when i get down that way I will.
@Tony_Farson so who is the gamer in the family with the Razer gamers keyboard?!
And are you planning to go to next weeks meeting? If so, maybe I will bring the spare door and other pieces for you to practice welding on/with.

Yeah Georg is good people! Haven't been to the new shop yet but one of these days when i get down that way I will.
@Tony_Farson so who is the gamer in the family with the Razer gamers keyboard?!
And are you planning to go to next weeks meeting? If so, maybe I will bring the spare door and other pieces for you to practice welding on/with.

That’s my keyboard. :) I like the clickity clack of a mechanical keyboard. I don’t have much time for gaming these days though. I use it for work along with my 42” 4K monitor I used to use for both xbox and work, but now I it is all business... And looking for 40 parts.

I should be at the meeting next week. Thanks for bringing the stuff! Do you think you will be able to swing by for a bit this Saturday? I know you said you were busy, but I thought I’d ask again. :)

Took a little trip to Stockton to visit Georg over at Valley Hybrids. I detoured to Granite Bay to pick up outers for my front axle assembly rebuild then dropped it all off so Georg and his crew can do their magic. His shop is super cool!

IMG_20181206_105835.jpg

Tell George I can help him real quick with what is wrong with that red 40 and it only takes 5 mins...flip the bezel. :p:rofl:

Tell George I can help him real quick with what is wrong with that red 40 and it only takes 5 mins...flip the bezel. :p:rofl:

The PO of my 40 had it upside down. I am seriously thinking about leaving it like that just to watch people get their panties in a twist.

That’s my keyboard. :) I like the clickity clack of a mechanical keyboard. I don’t have much time for gaming these days though. I use it for work along with my 42” 4K monitor I used to use for both xbox and work, but now I it is all business... And looking for 40 parts.

I should be at the meeting next week. Thanks for bringing the stuff! Do you think you will be able to swing by for a bit this Saturday? I know you said you were busy, but I thought I’d ask again. :)
Negative... saturday is a no go unfortunately, too much other s*** going on before/after the party.

Gauges!

IMG_20181210_150058.jpg

I have been very excited to get these. Interior is second only to powertrain in my book. The way I see it, I will see the interior of my vehicle more than the exterior. So fit and finish, comfort and function are critical to me. Gauges and controls are at the heart of the driver experience so I am excited to get these connected to my engine computer and fully installed.

I got my dizzy today! computer controlled goodness... yummy. :cookie:

IMG_20181212_154426.jpg

I also chose my final color. 1968 Sundune White (Beige). It was the most practical color and in the end, utility trumps fashion for me. I have Martin Auto Paint mixing me up some engine paint in the same color and I'll be taking it and my freshly powder coated engine hooks down to Douglas early next week.

Speaking of Douglas... He informed me that both Man-a-Fre and Ross Racing Pistons are pretty much clueless as to the specs on the [ridiculously overpriced] high compression pistons they sold me. Ross told Chris Douglas that the pistons should sit 17 thou in the hole and when he test fitted they were sitting 21 thou out of the hole. That is a big delta! So Chris volunteered to mock up the engine to verify clearances. Mocking up an engine is very time consuming and he is doing it at no additional cost just to make sure everything will be up to his standards. Amazing! I will ask him to build my new engine for the Bronco when the time comes for sure. Anyway, if there are clearance issues, he will have to remove material from the top of the pistons thus delaying my engine completion. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I began stripping the chassis starting with brake hardlines. I am taking my time and working to preserve as many as possible. However, I ordered my hydroboost system and plan to use a Wilwood master cylinder similar to the @Sheck44 build (thanks for the help and insights Steve!)
42681627395_8c8e980390_h.jpg

I don't know yet if this setup requires more hard lines. My current setup has just one hard line coming off the master cylinder and wrapping its way around the chassis to the back. I think I'll need lines dedicated to the back and front that feeds through the proportioning valve.

The adventure continues!

I got my dizzy today! computer controlled goodness... yummy. :cookie:

IMG_20181212_154426.jpg

I also chose my final color. 1968 Sundune White (Beige). It was the most practical color and in the end, utility trumps fashion for me. I have Martin Auto Paint mixing me up some engine paint in the same color and I'll be taking it and my freshly powder coated engine hooks down to Douglas early next week.

Speaking of Douglas... He informed me that both Man-a-Fre and Ross Racing Pistons are pretty much clueless as to the specs on the [ridiculously overpriced] high compression pistons they sold me. Ross told Chris Douglas that the pistons should sit 17 thou in the hole and when he test fitted they were sitting 21 thou out of the hole. That is a big delta! So Chris volunteered to mock up the engine to verify clearances. Mocking up an engine is very time consuming and he is doing it at no additional cost just to make sure everything will be up to his standards. Amazing! I will ask him to build my new engine for the Bronco when the time comes for sure. Anyway, if there are clearance issues, he will have to remove material from the top of the pistons thus delaying my engine completion. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I began stripping the chassis starting with brake hardlines. I am taking my time and working to preserve as many as possible. However, I ordered my hydroboost system and plan to use a Wilwood master cylinder similar to the @Sheck44 build (thanks for the help and insights Steve!)
42681627395_8c8e980390_h.jpg

I don't know yet if this setup requires more hard lines. My current setup has just one hard line coming off the master cylinder and wrapping its way around the chassis to the back. I think I'll need lines dedicated to the back and front that feeds through the proportioning valve.

The adventure continues!

Nice Tony !!!
Yes you will need separate hard lines to both front and rear but its so easy. Get a 20 foot roll of Nicop line with fittings from wherever, grab yourself a nice hand bender (cheap) and take your time. You can pre-make all the lines to size then take them to a shop to get them flared

Just checked out your build link ... awesome !! Love your choice of interior

Copper Nickel Brake Line Tubing Kit 3/16 OD 25 Foot Coil Roll Fittings Spring 47 | eBay

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom