What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed new power stop gx460 calipers, pads, and rotors today. I was getting a hard dive under breaking and it solved my issue! Still having random vsc issues under cornering after my steering rack install. I’ve done a ZPC a million times with techstream and still having the issues. If anyone has the spare time, could you please see what your steering angle reads upon start up in that data section? I’m still getting an 1150 reading until I reach around 25-30mph. Is this normal? I’ve been fighting this for weeks now, any help is greatly appreciated!

Interesting day
I met my GXs new owner at the bank and he’s going to be picking it up Saturday.
Super fun rig but a bit overkill to just tug around a travel trailer.

We may be perusing the marketplace for a less modded GX or possibly LC/4Runner to replace it though.

IMG_8202.jpeg

IMG_8204.jpeg

Don't have a GX yet but drove this home today to try out and see what the fuss is about

20230701_105438.jpg

20230701_105505.jpg

20230701_105455.jpg

20230701_094949.jpg

Not excited about Bilsteins, I ran King 2.5 on the 4R and Fox 2.5 on the Taco.

Land Cruiser I may trade runs Icon 2.0.

20230701_070348.jpg

Nice thing about CA is, there is *no* reason to ever consider a frame with rust on it.

Don't have a GX yet but drove this home today to try out and see what the fuss is about

View attachment 3362972

View attachment 3362973

View attachment 3362975

View attachment 3362974

Not excited about Bilsteins, I ran King 2.5 on the 4R and Fox 2.5 on the Taco.

Land Cruiser I may trade runs Icon 2.0.

View attachment 3362977

Nice thing about CA is, there is *no* reason to ever consider a frame with rust on it.
THAT is the cleanest frame I've ever seen other then new. Really super nice!! Btw... there's supposed to be a rubber divider there between the wheel well and engine compartment . Widely available aftermarket...

THAT is the cleanest frame I've ever seen other then new. Really super nice!! Btw... there's supposed to be a rubber divider there between the wheel well and engine compartment . Widely available aftermarket...

Thanks!

Maintenance and a mint frame are a must for me.

GX won't flex as much as the LC did but it's fine cause the GX would be for on-road use only.

Screenshot 2023-06-29 010143.jpeg

LC frame was pretty much the same; above just shows mud on it.

I was supposed to hook up the arb to the switchpro today but got lazy and stuck the GXOR badge instead..

20230702_115717.jpg

20230703_080914.jpg

Last edited:
Got a burst of energy and hooked the ARB to the SwitchPro.. no easy task cuz all my wiring relies on being perfect. Otherwise it won't work.. .(comes from 30+ years avionics tech on giant airplanes.. freakin ocd..) Anyway its done and runs like a champ..

I got several mods in the works:
Remove front sway bar completly and install stiffer rear.
Install RCI lower link skids
Install front selectable locker and connect to SwitchPro..

Well yesterday, but I finally replaced the cracked dashboard panel yesterday. Lexus currently has a discount on parts and honestly I'm not sure when the part would have gotten any cheaper in the forseable future. I also cleaned a lot of filth, vacuum, rust treatment, and wiped down almost very single part I took out of the dash. Never had to remove the steering wheel or drop the column, I live a dangerous life and never disconnected the battery so when the key went in, the wheel dropped and that was enough to pull the cluster and dashboard out.

I also spent some time with the gear selector. The good news is the pin barrel is intact, and I found the pin! Bad news is no matter how many times I tried putting it back in it was always popping back out when changing gears, maybe it needs a longer pin and shorter spring. Even tried a shimmy with some foil, no go.

Old dash:
180715606.jpg

Lots of filth:
201835119.jpg

Cleaned the filth:
224118763.jpg

New dash:
235332089.jpg

Next up, I'm on the hunt for an OEM rear spoiler+light+wire. I'm not too crazy about the ebay stuff, I returned the one I bought a while ago.

Well yesterday, but I finally replaced the cracked dashboard panel yesterday. Lexus currently has a discount on parts and honestly I'm not sure when the part would have gotten any cheaper in the forseable future. I also cleaned a lot of filth, vacuum, rust treatment, and wiped down almost very single part I took out of the dash. Never had to remove the steering wheel or drop the column, I live a dangerous life and never disconnected the battery so when the key went in, the wheel dropped and that was enough to pull the cluster and dashboard out.
Looks great. Totally agree on the dash - in addition to them not being that expensive (mine was $600 before tax) - there is a finite window in which Lexus is going to bother making new dashes for a vehicle they haven't produced in 14 years. Better to get them now rather than be stuck with a ugly dash that just gets worse in the future. The aftermarket options (Coverlay) are not good either.

How long did the install take you? I've had the new dash for around 3 months but haven't gotten around to installing it. I'm also considering proactively replacing the AC servos while the dash is out, but they are $400. If dash isn't that huge of a job I might just roll the dice and leave them in.

Also is that a eBay replacement steering wheel? How has the quality been? They are the same price as recovering the OEM wheel.

Thanks! It took me about 7-8hrs total, including the extensive cleanup of parts+interior, and some time messing with the gear selector. If all you're doing is a straight dash swap and taking things apart for the first time I'd say 4-5hrs might be more reasonable. I read 2.5-3hrs in some threads (actually one of them I think you started last year haha, I have it bookmarked), that's probably for folks already familiar with how a lot of it has to come apart. In my case it was like following a trail of "oh for this to come off, that has to come off" and so I took everyting out.

I have no idea about the wheel. I've seen some simillar ones on ebay for a little over $200, this one cracked in a few places and I've been debating replacing it. I'm discovering a lot of surprises from its past life. All I've done is the dashboard, rock sliders, rear bumper (oem), and fixed a gnarly ditch light+lightbar wiring mess. Still some to go, baby steps, but I've been enjoying it and so far I'm happy!

Thanks! It took me about 7-8hrs total, including the extensive cleanup of parts+interior, and some time messing with the gear selector. If all you're doing is a straight dash swap and taking things apart for the first time I'd say 4-5hrs might be more reasonable. I read 2.5-3hrs in some threads (actually one of them I think you started last year haha, I have it bookmarked), that's probably for folks already familiar with how a lot of it has to come apart. In my case it was like following a trail of "oh for this to come off, that has to come off" and so I took everyting out.

I have no idea about the wheel. I've seen some simillar ones on ebay for a little over $200, this one cracked in a few places and I've been debating replacing it. I'm discovering a lot of surprises from its past life. All I've done is the dashboard, rock sliders, rear bumper (oem), and fixed a gnarly ditch light+lightbar wiring mess. Still some to go, baby steps, but I've been enjoying it and so far I'm happy!
Thanks....I'll probably save up and replace the HVAC servos too, as it would be my luck they'd crap out shortly after. One has an intermittent clicking noise on startup alteady, which made me thimk about just doing all of them.

Good feedback on the eBay wheel, I'll just get my OEM wheel recovered.

Flexed out for the Fourth!
20230704_160936.jpg

Be happy to get rid of the chrome wheels, just never been the type to actively seek aftermarket wheels.
lol me neither, I think the standard oem grey may be the only one I have a set of five of, the shiny chrome wheels have grown on me the last two years I've owned the gx lol.

lol me neither, I think the standard oem grey may be the only one I have a set of five of, the shiny chrome wheels have grown on me the last two years I've owned the gx lol.

If by grey you mean a shade darker than alloy, I'd be interested.

I also spent some time with the gear selector. The good news is the pin barrel is intact, and I found the pin! Bad news is no matter how many times I tried putting it back in it was always popping back out when changing gears, maybe it needs a longer pin and shorter spring. Even tried a shimmy with some foil, no go.

Old dash:
View attachment 3364746

Lots of filth:
View attachment 3364714

Cleaned the filth:
View attachment 3364715

New dash:
View attachment 3364744

Next up, I'm on the hunt for an OEM rear spoiler+light+wire. I'm not too crazy about the ebay stuff, I returned the one I bought a while ago.
Where did you source the dash?
I need to do this also.

Where did you source the dash?
I need to do this also.
Directly from Lexus, picked it up at a local dealership. Took about 2 days from order to pickup.

I got some more progress on the d2s retrofit, everything seems to line up so I sealed them. I still have to splice the stock high beams to the bi-xenons, I'm not sure how much more they'll help or what it looks like. I might try other bulbs take some liberties here, maybe some yellow bulbs.

I'd like to figure out the fog light situation for the GX. The plugs are there, unused due to the tubular bumper which I wouldn't mind parting ways with for another. I'm sure the fog light plugs have enough juice to power the halos for "always on", I just need to tap the stock turn signals for the switchback function. Hickup there is I would need to disable the stock turn signals as DRL, I still have that homework.

Now pics!

Stock low beam before markers to adjust the d2s:
201330317.jpg

D2S, I was more concerned about rotation, seems good enough, it's briiight:
210359560.jpg

I like the high beam pattern, this is without the stock high beams:
212155538.jpg

All sealed up:
040949864.jpg

I'll do the propper adjustments when all is mounted, for now the hardest part is over.

That GX? Decided to keep it.

Added bluetooth using the USA BT45 as I didn't want to bother buying and installing a new stereo.

20230707_102010.jpg

20230707_102611.jpg

Someone should've told me it was only like a 10 minute install cause I got bored in the garage so I went ahead and cut these ****ers (unrelated).

20230707_125924.jpg

With a baby in the house, gotta be careful how you drop them F bombs.

20230707_135520.jpg

Six sold out within 1 minute of posting, so I cut a few more out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom