Joe Fixit - FVEdmo's '03 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Build Thread
Daily driver & fun vehicle
Vehicle purchased 06/21 @145k miles, essentially all OEM, pine silver w/NAV

Chronological mods:
Weathertech trim to fit mats from Costco 6/21
Panavise Dash mount w/ fuel line stand off to reduce wobble, RAM phone mount 7/21
Yatour bluetooth adaptor (replaces CD changer) 7/21
Added two extra OEM roof rack crossbars 10/21
Cargo platform built 11/21
Interior Door Handle pockets 12/21
OEM Gas Cap 01/22
Side step removal 2/22
Cheapo amazon ceiling cargo net 2/22
CD changer removed and reinstalled shell, 4thGenT4R console and glovebox dividers kut and kludged into place. 08/22
Dissent v1 front bumper installed with cheap nilight 3x3 flush mount and amazon smoked bullet lights 09/22
O-ring replaced on transfer case actuator to try to stop leaking 09/22
OEM Rad Cap replaced 09/22
Windshield wiper fluid reservoir, remove OEM and replace with Dorman 54002 5/23
Massaged Fender Liners up 5/23
BFG KO2s Tires 255/75/r17 5/23
180k Mile Mark prior to moving to larger diameter tire (255/75/r17).
181k Koyo Radiator, Hayden 699 trans cooler, WP, FB, & pulley Aisin kit w tensioner, TB. 6/23
182k Reman Denso alternator, Interstate 27F battery 7/23
184k new Airbags - Dorman 9/23
190k Akebono front brake pads 1/24

Gear onboad:
Cold Steel shorty shovel
5# ABC extinguisher
2x Land Cruiser Phil jack adaptor
2x OEM jacks
Extra Fluids
Napa compressor
IFAK
Folding table, bench, chair
Aisin jack base
cookware, utensils, cups, canteen
double wide air mattress
CPAP + SLA batts and chargers
Dopp kit
Blankets
Windbreakers x4

Plans:
New Battery
Front passenger diff support bracket update
ebay rear bumper (Kaymar-esque)
Trail'd 2x 6Gal tanks for spare location
Ironman awning quick mounts
Napa 8x8 awning
Brake Booster Pump and Accumulator replacement
Suspension - Bilstein T4R 6112 takeoffs, coilsprings, possibly with firestone airbag assist
Icon 650# front coil for 2.5"
Rear diff breather extension
Repourpose OEM trans cooler
Sliders - would like to buy and pick up in CA but looking at options
Skids - leaning towards Bud Built
AUX brand switch panel
rad rubber splashguards
Akebono brake pads
Stainless Steel braided brake lines
Fumoto oil drain valve
eyeballing the Teyes CC# screen depending on if the kinks of dashcam get worked out.
Full size shovel
Second bottle jack
Hi lift
Winch (probably Comeup or equivalent sized 13k winch)
Kenwood 71A & antenna
150 Amp alternator
House battery +charger/switch
Plasti-dip rims and grill

Camping gear(not carried unless on trip):
Coleman white gas/dual stove & lantern
Cast Iron - griddle, skillet, dutch oven

Last edited:
Maintenance notes
09/22 167k oil change, mobil1 synth 5w30, oem filter
09/22 168k New oring for transfer case actuator, fluid change for transfer case, mobil1 synth 75w-90

Last edited:
Photos?

Build Thread
Vehicle purchased 06/21 @145k miles, essentially all OEM, silver w/NAV
Had a bit of a commute this summer, put on about 500 miles a week. Love driving this thing.
01/22 mileage at 160k

Chronological mods:
Panavise Dash mount w/ fuel line stand off to reduce wobble, RAM phone mount 7/21
OEM Gas Cap 01/22

Plans:
Side step removal - today hopefully lol
Dissent bumper install 01/21
Napa 8x8 awning
Suspension - Bilstein T4R takeoffs, weighing whether go Arnott or coilspring
Koyo Radiator, Haynes trans cooler, repourpose OEM trans cooler
Akebono brake pads
Fumoto oil drain valve
Tires 255/75/r17

A bit annoying that I can edit the first post anymore, so each update will essentially repeat the whole post I guess :/

Build Thread
Vehicle purchased 06/21 @145k miles, essentially all OEM, silver w/NAV
Had a bit of a commute this summer, put on about 500 miles a week. Love driving this thing.
01/22 mileage at 160k

Chronological mods:
OEM Gas Cap 01/22

Plans:
Side step removal - today hopefully lol
Dissent bumper install 01/21
Napa 8x8 awning
Suspension - Bilstein T4R takeoffs, weighing whether go Arnott or coilspring
Koyo Radiator, Haynes trans cooler, repourpose OEM trans cooler
Akebono brake pads
Fumoto oil drain valve
Tires 255/75/r17

A bit annoying that I can edit the first post anymore, so each update will essentially repeat the whole post I guess :/
The edit option shows differently on my iPhone versus my laptop. On my iPhone, I have to click the "...v" button at the bottom of the post and select Edit. On my laptop, the "Edit" button shows up.

I think it
The edit option shows differently on my iPhone versus my laptop. On my iPhone, I have to click the "...v" button at the bottom of the post and select Edit. On my laptop, the "Edit" button shows up.
I think it ages off at a certain point. I can see it on my recent post (shows up right next to the "report" button), but not on my first and second posts in the thread. There was mention in the help forum that it was based on user status on the forum. Not sure if that is change from the past or I'm just stuck with it because I'm a lurker, lol.

Added crazy expensive recovery points :p Need to massage up and trim the fender liners, get the rad rubber put in, relocate the windshield fluid and wire up the lights...was thinking about doing the 3x3 nighlights to the fog stem switch and then putting the DTRL on a switch with the bullets. Right now my DTRL only come on when the headlights are off.

View attachment 3105443

Did the o-ring replacement to try and stop the transfer case leakage from the actuator. Since the fluid is leaking from the transfer case itself, I am not optimistic it will fix the leak, but we'll see. Transfer case actuator was removed via the twist and pull method and was dry inside with no oil intrusion and everything was clean and free of corrosion and debris so I did not replace the shaft seal but have the parts from rocket seals.

Last edited:
Finally got the fender liners massaged up, took buying new tires to shame me into doing it, gotta show off the new shoes, missed recording an oil change back there at the 177k mark.
180k miles
5x BFG KO2 Tires 255/75/r17
removed OEM wiper fluid reservoir and added Dorman 54002 behind headlight. Moving pumps over was pretty easy, just drilled out to 1.25 and did a bit of filing to open them up a squidge more and the pumps and gaskets went in easy.

Last edited:
181,260 miles

Aisin timing Belt Kit
Aisin Fan Pulley & Bracket
Gates Serpentine kit
Koyo all Aluminum radiator (bought it last year, so it may have the leak defect some people are getting)
Hayden 699 cooler
Gates large rad hoses w/new OEM clamps
Didn't replace the transmission and radiator lines as I didn't look up the parts and buy them in time but honestly I was beat a the end of the day and couldn't have done much more, I haven't done any job near this complicated and was only able to do it in one day as I had a semi-pro guy leading me through it.

TB showed some 'banding' discoloration on smooth side, no cracking, no visible threads. last TB change was done at 121k 12 years ago by Toyota dealer.

Had been steadily losing coolant without a visible main leak, was leaking from WP gasket, likely due to error in prior gasket install or not cleaning the face fully before installing new gasket there was a ton of pink popcorn behind the Tb covers.

Switched to pink OEM coolant.

Last edited:
182,670 Alternator died. New 27F Interstate from Costco and a reman Denso Alternator installed.

184,800 new airbags - gonna go with springs eventually but for now keeping it with the easy swap, and I'll probably pass on the airbags to my dad when his go.

New Akebono pads up front, will have to take a looksee at the rears and see where they are at.
While doing the pads found my inner cv boot on the driver side is torn all around the circumference at the small end, so that's next up on the list follow by refresshing the grease and rebooting the passenger. Won't be able to do that for two weeks, hopefully nothing will get ground up.

What’s your stance on drain and fill the transmission fluid? I didn’t see you mention transmission fluid change.

And when you do the cv axle reboot, does it make sense to reboot both the inner and outer and also do both pass and driver? Just wondering. I bought two Toyota reman cv axles from Toyota and I have them in storage waiting for a rip/leak to replace both of them.

What’s your stance on drain and fill the transmission fluid? I didn’t see you mention transmission fluid change.

And when you do the cv axle reboot, does it make sense to reboot both the inner and outer and also do both pass and driver? Just wondering. I bought two Toyota reman cv axles from Toyota and I have them in storage waiting for a rip/leak to replace both of them.
So the remans ended up being so cheap I couldn't find a better deal on an OEM reboot kit to make it worth while dollar wise, not to mention the time and mess. I have an extra CV that I will reboot later on, just to do it.

Caveat - I'm not a car guy, I am an internet research guy lololol. And all the reading is mostly here, clublexus and lexusowners, and also some T4R forums.

Transmission fluid since I have an '03 I can see the fluid color better. this car was pretty well maintained, but in general my approach is going to be a full transmission fluid exchange every approximately 80k but monitoring via dipstick and OBD2 for any incidents that may indicate a need for an earlier change.

CV boot - since you already have the axle out, there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason not to reboot both inner and outer at the same time. Interestingly my failure is at the cuff, not from the ribs abrading eachother.

Got it. Just make sure your full transmission fluid exchange doesn’t involve fancy pressure machines to flush the system.

You want the old fashioned manual drain and fill to gently get the old transmission fluid out.

Anyways, this is a highly debated topic on when to and when not to change the transmission fluid. I’ve changed mine twice in 7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom