What did you break on your 100 this week? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What did you break on your 100 this week?

Thought I'd start a new thread with a similar (but kinda reverse) theme to the "What did you do to your 100 this week?"

We all break or have broken something at some point, why not share some pics, experiences, and lessons learnt?

I'll start, we did a rear main last week in the dunes about 600km's from home. Lesson here is "don't let monkey's work on your car!" That seal only went in 3K ago and looks like it wasn't properly aligned when fitted / you can see gaps between it and the drive flange. Yeah, we went through about 7 or 8L oil getting home and everything underneath now is a bit shiny and sticky :)

pRoDaHS.jpg

6GHRGO8.jpg

RBuOs0M.jpg

fHHzYHm.jpg

8Ehcr9q.jpg

Not this week, but a couple weeks ago. Upper ball joint let loose and this happened. Luckily it happened on my road. Had to replace both ball joints, axle, brake line, speed sensor, and tie rod end.
MVIMG_20200809_160035.jpg

I had one of those too - last winter. Had a local chump work on my truck's front wheel bearings. He torqued the bearings with an impact gun. About 50 miles later destroyed the hub and spindle, brand OEM CV and almost lost the right front wheel!
Needless to stay my 3 young kids and wife were badly shaken!

20200218_120959.jpg

20200223_162948_LI.jpg

20200225_145038.jpg

That upper ball joint failure could have been a lot worse. Is that common and were there any warning signs prior to it failing?

That upper ball joint failure could have been a lot worse. Is that common and were there any warning signs prior to it failing?

It could have been a lot worse. I had just got back from Ouray two days before it happened. Glad it didn't happen up in the mountains or on the way home.

Not really any warning signs. Heard a pop a couple of times from the front going over some rocks on Poughkeepsie. I had replaced all the ball joints about a year earlier.

Not really any warning signs. Heard a pop a couple of times from the front going over some rocks on Poughkeepsie. I had replaced all the ball joints about a year earlier.

Did you replace with OEM ball joints?

Not this week, but this breakage led to a 2-month down time that just got wrapped this week.

I popped U-joints in both drive shafts and blew my front diff. Also cracked the passenger tail light.

View attachment 2429726

View attachment 2429727

View attachment 2429728
We blew our front diff at Overland Expo a couple years ago...wife was driving in a class and I was spotting. I heard the awful sound and knew exactly what it was. Told my wife the front diff was dead, and she said "does that mean we get a front locker?" I said "YES, and that's why I married you!"

We blew our front diff at Overland Expo a couple years ago...wife was driving in a class and I was spotting. I heard the awful sound and knew exactly what it was. Told my wife the front diff was dead, and she said "does that mean we get a front locker?" I said "YES, and that's why I married you!"

You got a keeper, man!

I let my (at the time) GF drive my LX up to the top of a waterfall (pictured), where I then proposed. Then she helped me pressure wash the chassis after we came off the trail. When I ordered my belly skids last week she said "You did good, baby". Land Cruiser women rock.

20191013_130131_HDR~2.jpg

For thread relevance, I tweaked my UCA BJs on this trail, and we were pressure washing the truck immediately after the trail to assess the damage.

Last edited:
First of all, this thread is awesome!

Several weeks ago, I managed to break the neck of the starter off in the engine block while trying to remove it. It appeared to be original and was beginning to fail. A relatively simple starter contact rebuilt turning into a full replacement.

4FA6EC6A-6446-4BD6-8C7B-C4E0A2C87C64.jpeg

5E59B95E-D6D9-46E4-AB11-6E1121B2E524.jpeg

1EDBCFDE-4DE4-44A6-8E0B-CB06D75322F5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom