What did you break on your 100 this week? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hadn't driven my LX470 in 3 weeks.
Battery run down, would not start.
Dumb a** old fool me hooked the Charger up backwards and noted a small spark as connecting the cables whence I noted my mistake.
Somebody looking out for seniors like me as I always hook to battery before plugging in to AC,
and the LX started right up after reversing cables and charging for a few hours.
Must be some safety design in the Charger circuitry????

Wait did this happen because the ball joint castle nut came off or the stem just snapped? How old were the ball joints??
Ball pulled out of the cup. Just got back from Ouray, CO a couple days before. Heard a pop while wheeling, but thought it was a cv. Was making a hard turn going fast and the wheel just fell off. The ball joints were a little over a year old.

Ball pulled out of the cup. Just got back from Ouray, CO a couple days before. Heard a pop while wheeling, but thought it was a cv. Was making a hard turn going fast and the wheel just fell off. The ball joints were a little over a year old.
Wonder if the retaining clip popped off? Could it pop out of the cup with the clip on there?

Wonder if the retaining clip popped off? Could it pop out of the cup with the clip on there?
The clip just keeps the cup in the arm.

This has made me super nervous about the 555 bjs in my LCAs. They have only abt 20k miles on them and while they don't have any play in them, they certainly aren't as tight as they used to be when new!

I keep reading about these 555 products that lead to catastrophic damage. Does the vendor know?

I keep reading about these 555 products that lead to catastrophic damage. Does the vendor know?

That’s a good question. The LBJ that I swapped had to be about 3 years ago and are still running strong. I sold that vehicle to a friend and still no issues with them. I’m swapping these in an LX as we speak, both uppers and lowers so I’m really hoping this is an isolated incident, but I guess we’ll find out sooner or later. Both these trucks are pretty much pavement princesses so it wouldn’t be a great judge for people who wheel often.

I really think the ball joint failure was my fault and not a bad product. Like I said I beat my truck pretty hard. Was also running 35" tires when it broke.

Replaced the broken ball joints and tie rods with 555 parts. Now I check the front end a little better when it's up in the air.

I really think the ball joint failure was my fault and not a bad product. Like I said I beat my truck pretty hard. Was also running 35" tires when it broke.

Replaced the broken ball joints and tie rods with 555 parts. Now I check the front end a little better when it's up in the air.

I hope so lol, just finished up the uppers and lowers today on my 04. You replaced with the same 555?

News flash: ball joints are wear parts and can and do fail, regardless of brand. If you wheel hard, like @Mauser , they’ll probably fail sooner. Toyota ball joints fail, too. The maintenance schedule says to inspect ball joints every 5,000 miles for harsh operating conditions, or 15,000 miles for normal operating conditions, for a reason.
LX470 Maintenance Schedule - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx470-maintenance-schedule.1039370/post-11470915
Noted. And I also replaced uppers with 555

My transmission and driveshaft :doh:
New transmission ordered. Also getting Slee skid plates so this hopefully doesn't happen again.
Sorry for pic quality, first one is a picture of a picture.

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom