What did I burn up now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

projectTuRD

SILVER Star
Threads
02/69 fj40.
The last time my truck died last night, I forgot to turn the key off.
Went to mess with it today and nothing.
That’s weird but ok.
Threw it on the charger.
Fully charged and nothing. No click, no whine, zip, zilch, nada.
I checked continuity through the fusible link and it’s good. Where should I start next?

By chance, does it have electronic ignition. Petronix have been known to burn out if key left on.

Coil? They can burn up being left on.

So I tested the fuse box and the battery and got ~2 volts. 🤨
Put it back on the charger.
After a bit it said full charge so I checked the battery and got ~6 volts. 🤨🤨
Then I unplugged the fusible link, put it back on the charger and it’s charging again. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Points can fry this way, found this out the hard way on a 69 VW Beetle. Starter should still spin though. Ignition switch?

Ah, good point, it should still crank. Have you tried jumping the starter to see if it’s still alive? And with key turned, do you get lights, etc?

😂 if I’d read all the posts I’d seen your having battery issues.

Sounds like your battery is past its best - maybe you finished it off by completely discharging it overnight.

See what happens if and when it is fully changed

Sounds like your battery is past its best - maybe you finished it off by completely discharging it overnight.

See what happens if and when it is fully changed
Either that or my charger is done. It is an automatic dual voltage charger and Maybe it thinks it’s a 6 volt system somehow. Not sure how it figures it out.

The charger shut off after 6 volts again. Any reason I shouldn’t try and jump start it.

Maybe disconnect your battery from the truck, and run jumper cables to your other running vehicle to charge it up a bit - you will have the full battery + alternator power pushing into a very empty battery though, so your leads will get hot pretty fast and could cause some damage.

I'd try a few 5second bursts until the volts gets up - give it a few seconds to cool in between.

Do it outside - you don't want a hydrogen fire either ;)

I jumped it, got it running, even got it to idle off choke (yesterday’s issue). Now it looks like something in the water pump area is leaking. It’s dripping onto the bottom pulley and throwing coolant all over.
I never changed it, looks like I am now 😬🤣

The charger shut off after 6 volts again. Any reason I shouldn’t try and jump start it.

Does your charger have a manual switch to go between 6 or 12 volts. Could have switch in wrong position. Have you cleaned the battery posts and cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom