What caused this damage on speedo drive housing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok,,,I'm a true rookie. Just got my first cruiser (1980 HJ45). Decided to start by replacing all fluids and tackling leaks. When I pulled the speedo gear housing, I see this big groove cut in the end of it? Maybe its from a previous repair? Also the plastic gear was obviously well worn. Does that look to be normal wear?

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1304.JPG

Yep, I agree with @ Living in the Past, strip happens. I've seen plenty of stripped nylon speedo gears. I carry a spare off in the glove box since I have a 2 pulse VSS sending signals to my ECM. No gear = no go (not well, anyway).

The groove is a new one on me.

You might want to pull the rear bearing retainer/speedo drive housing off and check the drive gear. See if there are some clues to what caused the groove. Was the keeper in place when you pulled the speedo gear?

Yes, the retainer clip was in place. Gear housing pulled out easy enough. Shined light up in the hole and ran finger in. The gear inside was clean and smooth feeling. The little i have driven it, there was no grinding or unusual noise (other than normal gear noise). When I said rookie,,,I meant rookie! :) I'm a pharmacist, not a mechanic! Ha! So any recommendations are appreciated!

Just because you didn't see or feel anything in there doesn't mean there's nothing floating around in there. Based on that chip/ding, I'd do what Dick (reddingcruiser) said and pull the larger housing the speedo gear plugs into. Pick up a new seal for the housing while you're at it.

Best

Mark

They strip when they are not pushed in or seated all the way. Or u had the wrong teeth count gear pushed in there. 4 different plastic drive gear pieces and two different metal drive gears the two pieces have to be compatible so as to not strip the plastic drive gear. They sometimes can be tricky to seat fully.

Just because you didn't see or feel anything in there doesn't mean there's nothing floating around in there. Based on that chip/ding, I'd do what Dick (reddingcruiser) said and pull the larger housing the speedo gear plugs into. Pick up a new seal for the housing while you're at it.

Best

Mark
Any idea on the part # for that seal, or who may have them? Something a local parts store could get?

The PN is in MUD's FAQ section. You should check it out.;)

Ok,,,since my speedometer gear sleeve looked so bad, I ordered a new one and drive gear from SOR. So, look at the slot for the retainer tab. New one is so narrow, the clip wont go in there. Is the new one correct and maybe the old one was a modified one? Also, several of you suggested I pull the speedo gear housing and check inside. I took the drive shaft off and all the bolts holding the housing onto the transfer case. I hate to ask, but do you have to remove
the parking break assembly before the speedo housing will pull free? Or will the whole thing pull free from transfer?
IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

I will check with SOR monday. I called and made sure I was ordering correct. Maybe wrong part in bag? Do You have a good trick for breaking that big nut loose to get brake assembly off?

^^^^Breaker bar with the correct socket but it should not be that tight IIRC. Also: be sure to drain the transfer case or the gear oil will come pouring out when you remove the parking brake drum.

Suggest picking up a FSM or Haynes manual to assist you... you know, since you're only a pharmacist.

Yes,,,It was a stake nut. Sorry for the amateur questions. I have bought a few manuals, and am trying to educate myself as I go. I am replacing the rear seal since I am that far in. As far as the big grove that I mentioned earlier in the post on the end of the speedo gear housing,,,Everything looked good. did not see anything that would have caused that damage. Gonna put the new speedo gear and o rings in, put it all back together and check for leaks. That you all for your valuable advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom