What are these wires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I am wanting to tie into my direct power from my rear heater to my BMW seat switch. I don't know Toyota wiring conventions. So, can anyone tell me with is the power to the switch and which is the ground (assume black)? Thanks
rear heater switch.jpg

White with black stripe is usually ground in Toyota wiring.

can you connect power via temp power from battery to check for power wire?

White with black stripe is usually ground in Toyota wiring.

can you connect power via temp power from battery to check for power wire?
Yes, but too lazy to do that and hate to get it wrong!:p In all seriousness, I figured that someone would know and it would be that easy.

Heater switch is weird, like the rear wiper from a 62. It doesn't take power in directly to the switch and ground, it uses the relay under the console for the heater. +12v goes into the relay, not the switch, if that makes sense.

You can try manipulating to see which wire does what by disassembling the switch and seeing which poles touch at different positions, or wire the seat off the relay wiring, which would be easier. A quick voltmeter test would tell you which wires do what at each switch position.

88lc-wd3.gif

I ran a new wire from a new breaker panel under the hood to power the seat, and a separate wire to power the seat heater. I used an inline switch that I mounted to the seat frame for seat power, and I only switch it on when adjusting the seat. If you need the seat wiring from BMW, let me know.

Heater switch is weird, like the rear wiper from a 62. It doesn't take power in directly to the switch and ground, it uses the relay under the console for the heater. +12v goes into the relay, not the switch, if that makes sense.

You can try manipulating to see which wire does what by disassembling the switch and seeing which poles touch at different positions, or wire the seat off the relay wiring, which would be easier. A quick voltmeter test would tell you which wires do what at each switch position.

88lc-wd3.gif
This was so helpful. So, it looks like I can tap into the yellow or the white/green. I am thinking about adding a fuse and tapping into the white/green. Any thoughts?

This was so helpful. So, it looks like I can tap into the yellow or the white/green. I am thinking about adding a fuse and tapping into the white/green. Any thoughts?

You can but if you're tapping into the 12v feeds off the relay, it uses the 30A fuse on fuseblock, so no need. If it pops the fuse then look into how much load the motor is putting on that circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom