Are these things really unreliable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the big part of my issues is OME heavies that are being underworked.
I’m on OME heavies and bilsteins. 33x9.50’s. Extra bolstered seats and a smile like I just saw t!tt!e$.

I’m on OME heavies and bilsteins. 33x9.50’s. Extra bolstered seats and a smile like I just saw t!tt!e$.

Yea I don’t get it.

I just need to add more weight. It needs to ride like a Cadillac.

Chubby girls in the back!

My ’85 60 has been more reliable than any non-Japanese vehicle I have ever owned. But, in the non-Japanese defense, they were old. Mid to late 60’s and early 70’s, yeah I’m old too, and reliability probably didn’t matter as much back then. However, when I was in high school, late 70’s early 80’s, we formed a 4wd club made up mostly of Jeeps, Blazers and 4wd trucks, nobody could afford a Bronco even back then, LOL, and one lonely FJ40. One day it dawned on me that the Land Cruiser never broke down and never broke anything. Thus started my search for a Toyota 4wd.

I have owned my 60 since 1992 with around 50k miles, bought from original owner and was impeccably maintained, and it currently has 217k miles. During my ownership these are some of the non routine maintenance things I have had to do, from memory. Air pumps, several, the achilles heal in my opinion. Once the original goes bad you’re stuck with bad remans. Replaced a couple of slave cylinders, 1 clutch master, 1 water pump, couple of thermostats, radiator repairs and replacements, 2 oil pan gaskets, starter motor repair, rear pinion seal, front out put T-case seal, valve cover gasket, couple fuel pumps, broken choke cable. Nothing too terrible and the basic drivetrain, engine, transmission, t-case, and axles are, as some have said, overly engineered and built, I like to think properly built, and have never given me a problem. Never had an electrical issue and only recently did I have a fuel problem, other than pumps, which was resolved by rebuilding the carburetor.

In comparison to my ’88 Toyota pickup, being that it was just three years newer a fair comparison, not as reliable. I did buy the truck new, but in 295k miles outside of routine maintenance. Replaced radiator, exhaust manifold, alternator and clutch master. That’s it, nothing else. It could sit for 3 months, start right up, take to emission station and pass with flying colors. I really miss that truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom