Are these things really unreliable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FF rear axle looks like this where the axle shaft bolts to the hub

1695768018948.jpeg

This is an 80 series FF axle. Another advantage is ease of replacing wheel bearings and they are the same as for the front.

I daily drive an '07 LX with 340k miles. With fastidious maintenance it drives like new and is ultra reliable.

In a few months my "new" '87 HJ61 arrives from Spain. I'm hoping to make the 60 my daily (although I mostly ride an e-bike to work). Can a car from 1987 really be a reliable primary car?
@marshcat, I DD'ed an hj61 for 10 years (now it sits in the garage like a prince waiting for trips around town or wheeling adventures :). I consistently got 20+ mpg, thoroughly enjoyed my long-range view of traffic from my SOA on 37s, and felt quite comfortable in the Toyota suspension seats. And the tractor-y music that emanates from the 12ht is pleasing, especially when you get to shift it through the 5-speed (which is not bad in traffic either, you can generally bump along in 3rd for long stretches.

Like other wise people have stated, it's the fact that you can readily fix typical problems that arise and continue the journey, that makes these vehicles legendary; there's nothing "magical" about Toyota parts, per se.

Your rear axle does not look like mine, so I assume that is a semi float axle. Curious, is your hj61 12v or 24v?

@kevin in okinawa @marshcat In that photo the rear has the specific hub caps for a full float axle - they stick out further. If you pry those off we'll know for sure.

@marshcat, I DD'ed an hj61 for 10 years (now it sits in the garage like a prince waiting for trips around town or wheeling adventures :). I consistently got 20+ mpg, thoroughly enjoyed my long-range view of traffic from my SOA on 37s, and felt quite comfortable in the Toyota suspension seats. And the tractor-y music that emanates from the 12ht is pleasing, especially when you get to shift it through the 5-speed (which is not bad in traffic either, you can generally bump along in 3rd for long stretches.

Like other wise people have stated, it's the fact that you can readily fix typical problems that arise and continue the journey, that makes these vehicles legendary; there's nothing "magical" about Toyota parts, per se.

Your rear axle does not look like mine, so I assume that is a semi float axle. Curious, is your hj61 12v or 24v?
Love to hear this! Mine is a LHD 24v

I wouldn’t normally say this, but I would kill for a rig like marshcats or Kevin in Okinawa.

Tired of my stupid N/A spec 62.

I hate how uncomfortable mine is.
Your not even legal to buy alcohol and your your whining? Hush and face the wall young man! Wait till you have kids several ex's alimony and and child support. :lol:

Your not even legal to buy alcohol and your your whining? Hush and face the wall young man! Wait till you have kids several ex's alimony and and child support. :lol:

Okay okay!

when you cant drink your problems away you have to whine! no other option :beer:

Gimme a 60, are you using car-part.com? There's a rear locked 80 series axle in Nelson.

1695874939459.png

I have owned my 60 since 2007, sure there were time my lower back is screaming but for the most part I'm just a happy camper when I'm driving and get the occasional thumbs up and wave. My kids literally enjoy going for a trip to Pismo each year up until they were in boarding school. I consider maintenance and occasional repairs are part of the fun owning an LC60.

Okay @Gimme a 60 you can turn around now and join in, thanks for being a good sport. Just keep up the good work that you do and love your parents. ;)

I have owned my 60 since 2007, sure there were time my lower back is screaming but for the most part I'm just a happy camper when I'm driving and get the occasional thumbs up and wave.

People say after the front 80 axle coil swap it drives better than a hunny. It's several thousand bucks for that conversion but still cheaper than buying a new rig and you get the best of both worlds. Put in some nice seats, sound deadening, make the dash nice, it will be good.

after driving my 62 for a couple weeks I started to noticed how much better it was than the 100.

I'm not even gonna rebuild either of the 60 axles on mine (the front has a bad shimmy above 50 km/hr). I'll just sell them to recoup some of the costs of the upgrades. Problem is, am I ever going to get this thing done? I guess it just needs to be made a priority by me and it will happen. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be reliably drivable, then after that i can plug away at remaining items.

And a '92 front unlocked in New Brunswick.

1695875964904.png

All the auto wreckers on the continent enter their parts in the database and you search for what you want and find out where it is, then you call the particular wrecker to talk about buying and shipping it. I bet that rear axle in Nelson is from the same vehicle as the front axle I bought a couple years ago.

All the auto wreckers on the continent enter their parts in the database and you search for what you want and find out where it is, then you call the particular wrecker to talk about buying and shipping it. I bet that rear axle in Nelson is from the same vehicle as the front axle I bought a couple years ago.
Thanks for the input, I totally forgot about this place. I'm in search of a complete long block for my new project.

As part of my tool kit is a hidden stash of cash, a few hundred $$ in twenties, that's available for emergencies.
Off topic: my buddy bought a 2 year old 1 ton duramax and there was $500 in $20’s in the owners manual bookmarking various pages like towing, running out of fuel, changing a tire. We talked to another guy later that does the same thing and said you never know where you’ll break down and need cash.
When I was snowmobiling, I always had an extra roll of dry toilet paper and 2 $20’s, just in case I really needed to persuade someone for help.

I’m actually really happy how comfortable my 60 is. I was apprehensive when I sold my 04 4Runner but no complaints since, besides it’s slow.

I’m actually really happy how comfortable my 60 is. I was apprehensive when I sold my 04 4Runner but no complaints since, besides it’s slow.

I think the big part of my issues is OME heavies that are being underworked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom