What are the rules on bringing in a diesel import into the USA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bringing in a 70 series regardless of engine type that is less than 25 years old is going to be a problem (the problem isn't the diesel engine, it's the age of the vehicle). Find one that's over 25 years old and it is suddenly possible.

Reading more of the post that was linked regarding the engine swaps to get more context, it sounds like the “original unmodified configuration” qualification is one of the requirements that has to be met in order to import a vehicle into the US. Essentially, the vehicle has to be more than 25 years old, be in original unmodified configuration, and so on. That's different from performing an engine swap on a vehicle that's already here, such as the example of an LS1 swap into a Mustang.

That makes more sense as engine swaps are incredibly common throughout. There are all sorts of combinations out there, companies selling adapter kits, and so on.

Anyways ... I've seen some people bringing in Land Cruiser 70 pickup trucks in and they looked like diesels.View attachment 2733005
To be fair, you can legally import a 79 as there are plenty available that are old enough.

Which adds hilarity to the bogus 25 year rule as they have gone largely unchanged from (still available) new to what IS legally imported.

Some vehicles less than 25 years old can be imported into the US but it's unlikely any of those criteria apply to a normal Land Cruiser.
Not even worth mentioning: race cars that will not go on road and only for a limited time duration, with letter certificate from manufacture that it really is a race car; Show & Display, all you need is for the vehicle to be so rare such as McLaren F1 that its on the government list, has fewer than 500 examples built in total, non longer in production, never offered for sale in US, you can only drive it a few thousand miles per year and you can only sell it after getting NHTSA approval, and finally third its substantially similar US model in body, crash bumpers, interior padding, engine and manufacturer is willing to write you a letter that is would have paused crash tests and emissions if it had only been tested. Good luck with those .. this leaves you with the 25 yr antiquity rule, do they comply with any reg's no, are their newer overseas models similar or even safer, but not legal to import, yes. But it is a numbers game, the number of people willing to drive 25+ year old imported vehicle is a small pool (after all process is not cheap), the number of running 25 yr old imports is an even smaller pool, the amount of miles such owner is willing to run such vehicle is now very small thus the ament of extra pollution and probability of crash is very low.

Last edited:
Heh. You squeezed out a solid paragraph for not being worth mentioning. But, yeah, that's why I referenced normal Land Cruiser. It would have to be something special. Some of the other information about production numbers and equivalents isn't quite right but it doesn't sound like any of that would apply in OP's case.

Not even worth mentioning: race cars that will not go on road and only for a limited time duration, with letter certificate from manufacture that it really is a race car; Show & Display, all you need is for the vehicle to be so rare such as McLaren F1 that its on the government list, has fewer than 500 examples built in total, non longer in production, never offered for sale in US, you can only drive it a few thousand miles per year and you can only sell it after getting NHTSA approval, and finally third its substantially similar US model in body, crash bumpers, interior padding, engine and manufacturer is willing to write you a letter that is would have paused crash tests and emissions if it had only been tested. Good luck with those .. this leaves you with the 25 yr antiquity rule, do they comply with any reg's no, are their newer overseas models similar or even safer, but not legal to import, yes. But it is a numbers game, the number of people willing to drive 25+ year old imported vehicle is a small pool (after all process is not cheap), the number of running 25 yr old imports is an even smaller pool, the amount of miles such owner is willing to run such vehicle is now very small thus the ament of extra pollution and probability of crash is very low.

This has basically zero to do with safety or emissions, but everything to do with protecting the market and thus screwing the consumer.

Last edited:
To be fair, you can legally import a 79 as there are plenty available that are old enough.
Not until 2024. First model of the 79 came out in 08/99. Plenty of 25 year old 75 series pickups that can be imported. I have a 1994 that I will be bringing back next spring, for example.

I don't want to take us off topic, but I've always been curious how popular 70 series Land Cruisers would actually be if Toyota brought them into the US. Quite a few people post on the forum saying they would buy one, but I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up being another case of only being able to sell a few thousand per year here.

I don't want to take us off topic, but I've always been curious how popular 70 series Land Cruisers would actually be if Toyota brought them into the US. Quite a few people post on the forum saying they would buy one, but I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up being another case of only being able to sell a few thousand per year here.
Very popular with the Bedouins here in KSA and I see a few here and there. Maybe 1 out of 100 vs the 200 series and Prado. I have driven pickups on and off my entire life from the time I took my driver's test in a Ford 150 and I have to say my FZJ75 is the roughest riding vehicle I have ever been in. Do I love driving it; yes. Would I drive it a 1000 miles; no.

If they had these in diesel I would get it instead of the LC200. (left hand drive) .. or maybe the LC200 and one of these instead of one of my other cars.

LAND-CRUISER-NAMIB-GEAR-PATROL-FULL-LEAD.jpg

If they had these in diesel I would get it instead of the LC200. (left hand drive) .. or maybe the LC200 and one of these instead of one of my other cars.

View attachment 2733651
They sell them every day in diesel; LHD. Petrol is still more popular here but I am seeing more and more diesels these days.

FWIW, a brand new V8 diesel, 4 door 79 series with all options is around 170k SAR here which is $45K USD.

Last edited:
Yeah - the 70 series look great but, after driving one 2500km across Australia, i wouldn’t trade my 100 or 200 for one of them. Uncomfortable, noisy, rough riding, and slow. They are designed for mines and farms. I’d leave them there.

I've bought 3 in the Netherlands. completely "built" low miles and good prices there. I used them exploring all over that side of the planet from Russia, To Africa. I would never trust a 200 there unless it was one of the local diesels. Recently went into the arctic circle in a diesel 200. I keep mine registered in the Netherlands but have brought them to the US. I spend a lot of time in Mexico for the fantastic four wheel drive areas with no other people. I spent the last year living in Puerta Vallarta.
Bring one in temporarily as if touring is easy. After that just take it out of the US occasionally. If I didn't travel in Africa, Eurasia and and Russia I wouldn't need one. My 200 is ok for South America, US and Canada. PM me if you have any questions.

There were a bunch of JDM Nissans and whatnot here in the US because states without inspections don't really care what you register it as, for all they know the R32 Skyline is a 240SX, all it takes is a title and VIN from a ratty 240, get plates, junk the 240, throw the plates on the Skyline. Insurance companys dont care either. As long as they get their money they are good. Odds are you could drive around like that for a long time. Just don't hit anything, get hit, cause suspicion, get pulled over, etc, because if you do you are SOL.

The problem is that while the states don't typically care, the feds do. So you are always at risk of having your rig impounded and crushed and there is no real recourse there since you were dead-to-rights breaking the laws.

Its sort of like gambling. If you can afford to light the money on fire, go ahead and bring in some sweet JDM whips through less than legal means. Just be prepared to have it taken from you one day.

I've bought 3 in the Netherlands. completely "built" low miles and good prices there. I used them exploring all over that side of the planet from Russia, To Africa. I would never trust a 200 there unless it was one of the local diesels. Recently went into the arctic circle in a diesel 200. I keep mine registered in the Netherlands but have brought them to the US. I spend a lot of time in Mexico for the fantastic four wheel drive areas with no other people. I spent the last year living in Puerta Vallarta.
Bring one in temporarily as if touring is easy. After that just take it out of the US occasionally. If I didn't travel in Africa, Eurasia and and Russia I wouldn't need one. My 200 is ok for South America, US and Canada. PM me if you have any questions.
Hello,

what do you mean by your statement that you would not trust a 200? Ive driven 200s throughout Russia, the satellites including the Stans, the middle east, etc. No issues.

Regarding Puerto Vallarta, i lived in Tepic for a year with my 100. Not a lot of offroading. At the time, leaving the pavement was an invitation for getting robbed (best) or shot (more likely). Every night, from my walled patio, you could hear shots being fired. Glad i left.

Last edited:
Hello,

what do you mean by your statement that you would not trust a 200. Ive driven 200a throughout Russia, the satellites including the Stans, the middle east, etc. No issues.

Reharding Puerto Vallarta, i lived in Tepic for a year with my 100. Not a lot of offroading. At the time, leaving the pavement was an invitation for getting robbed (best) or shot (more likely). Every night, from my walled patio, you could hear shots being fired. Glad i left.

Yes I have driven Russian diesel 200's to the arctic circle several times also.....the diesel rigs are ok and I have a shot of myself outside "The Last Sushi cafe before the arctic circle" around here somewhere. A popular spot I'm sure you've heard of.......they love their sushu. :) I would drive my american 200 to some of the places I've been.....but most of my travels there have seen deep river crossings and a petrol vehicle is usually shut down and drug across by another or winched from the other side. Anyway it's a burden. I prefer to travel alone or with one other vehicle.
Mexico has been a second home for me for 30 years and I've never had any problems and drive where I want. I'm well protected by everyone there. At my home in Colorado my security runs over 6 figures a year which isn't too bad but it's a pain I rid myself of by staying in Mexico as much as possible as I plan my work and travels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom