What am I missing: installing a Front Runner roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thecoldfish.com
I'm in the middle of installing a new Front Runner (Slimsport) roof rack on my 2004 100 series. I've managed to remove the factory rack (not without breaking some brittle plastic, but that's OK) and clean the connection points. I've also managed to start the assembly of the rack (putting the L & R rails together, adding all but one crossbar). So far so good.

Then I noticed that the instructions for installation have the rack's four 'feet' (three with two bolt holes, and one with three bolt holes) sitting directly on the faculty rack's connection points. There's even a diagram in the installation instructions that points to where the cruiser's roof should have four pair of holes on each side of the roof.

Unfortunately, on my rig, I'm only seeing three pairs of bolt holes on each side, and their locations don't match those in the installation instruction's helpful diagram.

Am I missing something? Is there another cover I need to remove that will reveal an additional pair of bolt holes? The installation instructions refer to something called "Ditch Trim", and I don't know what the heck that is. Will removing this unidentified part solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for any pointers people with experience can share. I can't find anything online about this discrepancy.

-- Jason

Am I missing something? Is there another cover I need to remove that will reveal an additional pair of bolt holes? The installation instructions refer to something called "Ditch Trim", and I don't know what the heck that is. Will removing this unidentified part solve my problem.
Yes, different 100's have different "ditch trim" that covers different sets of holes.

Yes, different 100's have different "ditch trim" that covers different sets of holes.
OK. (And thanks for the quick reply.) So is this "ditch trim" the material that covers the bottom of the wide groove that's home to the bolt points? It feels l like it is thin aluminum, and it sorts wants to slide out at the rear of the roof.

Is this something that I should take out carefully (i.e.,, non-destructively)?

If you were to lay your rack on top of the roof, it's whatever trim is beneath the "feet." Yes, be careful removing without breaking the trim. You can trim them to fit or buy new ones that match the holes... or none at all. You just have to seal the bolt holes that aren't being used.

As one does after posting a question to ih8mud, I wondered if the FSM addressed my question. So I pulled up my digital copy this morning, and I learned two things. First, "Ditch Trim" translates to "Roof Drip Side Finish Moulding". Second, there are moulding clips involved. (See the screenshot that I'm attaching to this post.)

I'm going to take a crack at removing the trim this morning. Fingers crossed that it solves the mystery of insufficient bolt holes!

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 7.19.47 AM.png

With the proper terminology in hand, I was able to find this helpful thread on the topic:

Wrestling with body clips is not my favorite Saturday-morning activity.

Reactions: uHu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom