What all do I need to change in my LX for it to drive like new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this issue has already been addressed in an earlier thread. I recently bought a 2005 LX470 with about 210K miles. For its age its in an overall good condition. But while driving it feels like the steering has some play in it and i can almost feel every little bump on the road in the steering. I have already gotten the rotors and brake pads changed and front bearings repacked. That has taken care of the vibrations and shaking of the steering while applying the breaks. What else do I need to change for it to drive nice and tight, like new if you will? In order of impact/significance please as I will have to do it over time. Thank you!

Look at what I've done in my restore projects and for some local mud members. That will give a very good starting point.

Sway bar links and bushings made a huge difference on mine. I’ve seen some clunk sounds removed with rack bushings.

Look at what I've done in my restore projects and for some local mud members. That will give a very good starting point.

Thank you! Your threads are indeed very informative and I see now why everyone refers to you for expert opinion. If I do all what you have to your rigs its going to take me the rest of my life! I'm looking for 5/6 fixes that i should do now and that will have the most impact on the ride/drive. I will get to others overs time. Thank you again.

shocks are easy and will help with ride and handling. possibly control arm bushings. those made a huge difference in my tacoma when i did them.
probably ball joints would be a good idea. tie rod ends will help with steering as long as the rack is still good.
and an alignment.

i would do shocks, tie rod ends and alignment automatically. then reevaluate.

Replace ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, rack and pinion bushing, and adjust your AHC torsion bars to get the right neutral pressure.

shocks are easy and will help with ride and handling. possibly control arm bushings. those made a huge difference in my tacoma when i did them.
probably ball joints would be a good idea. tie rod ends will help with steering as long as the rack is still good.
and an alignment.

i would do shocks, tie rod ends and alignment automatically. then reevaluate.
For non-AHC rides, I agree. Shocks are big.

He's asking about an LX, so it has AHC (presumably). There are no shocks to replace on an AHC system. The rams don't wear out unless they're leaking oil.

Bushings would be my first thing. At 200k, you can bet most of them are worn out and due for replacement. There are a bunch to get to, but I'd start with front diff swaybars and rear control arms.

IMO 2001LC is on the money. General maintenance baselining aside, inspect it before throwing parts at it. Just replacing things in the front suspension area as a form of internet diagnostics can get very expensive very quickly.

Take off the skid panels and have a good root around under there. Check anything rubber for looseness or cracks/tears (sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, steering bushings, diff mounts), look at the CV/ball joint/tie rod boots for leaks/tears, check if tire wear is even, etc. Lay down in front of it sans pans and have someone start it, and move it from P to R to D a few times with the parking brake on *tight*. Jack up the front wheels shake at 9 and 3, 6 and 12 and use a pry bar to press up. What clunks/moves that shouldn't? Any rubber tears/cracks? Anything feel loose? Post pics/videos and ask for help if you need to.

FWIW, I am also a new owner of an 05LX on a similar journey. You have found the right place to be - good folks and good content here. Google searching "whatever you are interested in site:ih8mud.com <100 series>" can lead you to a ton of good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom