We're going to BAJA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
Ok, looks like BMT (1994 FZJ80), myself (1992 FJ80), another buddy (1994 FZJ80) and a 1984 Mercedes Benz G-Wagen are planning a trip (approx. 10 days) down Baja Mexico for Christmas 2003. This being my first Baja trip, I'm looking for ya'lls' (notice the fine usage of the plural possessive of "ya'll" I learned living in Lubbock, TX) input on several items:

1. Spares for the FZJ80s (which can share parts);

2. Spares for the FJ80;

(All rigs are well maintained already and in good condition.)

3. Good guidebooks or sites with local info.

4. Any other tips and tricks others have come up with!

5. How to keep the Grey Poupon from spoiling in the G-Wagen... ;) Just kiddin' on that one.

Thanks for the help!

-H-

HLTOPPER:

Great trip!!! I wish I could go with you...I am planning a trip for the same time...a ferry cruise from tampa to yucatan...going to see the ruins in mex, belize and guat....you will need...

Title for the truck
(if you are paying it off you'll need a letter from the bank)
Insurance
(your US insurance is no good in mex...www.sanbornsinsurance.com has a wealth of info)
Fuel filters, multiple
(Mexican gas sucks)
There are some formalities at the border like deposits and the like,I recomend you explore the sanborn site....they sell maps and guides and all sorts of stuff.

good luck.

I have been kicking around the idea of taking the Tampa/ Yucatan ferry down next year as well. &nbsp:Do you know anyone who has done that? I think it would be a great trip.

Tenncrusher

I second the insurance, it's a MUST HAVE. A spanish dictionary would be good to if none of you are bilingual. Be aware, SUV's are very saught after by car theives in Mex. I wouldn't recommend leaving your rigs unattended EVER, unless your remote...but even then??

Have fun, the coast of Mex is beautiful :G

Oh yeah! Given the current state of the world an up to date Passport would be ideal. A state birth cert. and a drivers license will work in a pinch. I took the BC and license route a few years ago when I went to Cancun. I got back in the country but US customs can be pretty picky. Especially now.

Liability insurance is mandatory, collision is optional.....it is pretty cheap though.

Tenncrusher- that sounds like an awsome trip...don't personally know anyone who has done it but it is not so expensive. Check out www.yucatanexpress.com. :D

El queso es viejo y muoso. &nbsp:Donde esta el bano?

Remember those words. They will come in handy. :G

Quattro cervesas porfavor. My spanish needs some help. :stupid:

As soon as I go to where all my Baja info is stored (at my office - a place I try to avoid) I'll get you the details of a good book to have - satellite photos of Baja with GPS Co-ordinates. The sat photos have great detail; you can see dirt roads and where they go. For me it was a must have. I hope it's still in print.

Do you have certain destinations in mind? Sea of Cortez? Pacific Coast? Or just blast around the desert?

Send me a message if you want info on driving at night in Baja and other info.

Ed

Thanks everyone for the info. Ed, could you post the name of the book? That sounds like an excellent resource. I really don't have our exact itinerary yet, however, I doubt we'll be doing much night driving...

-H-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom