Welding sliders question…..issues later on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
I found a place in GA that makes sliders for 200s/570s and they look pretty cool and the price is right. He welds them on. Any reason why you wouldn’t want to weld the sliders on? I’m thinking long-term like later on....and maybe something needs to be replaced but it might be a PITA if sliders are welded on? Any thoughts?

welding vs bolting - different tools on/off... similar results. one could argue a strength advantage either way, depending on workmanship, but I went with welded option as it simplified the hardware requirements for the Slee (fancy 570 version) sliders.

I'd be concerned about potentially weakening the frame. High strength steels don't take well to normal welding as the localized heat creates areas of hydrogen-embrittlement. These areas lose ductility and are more susceptible to fatigue and cracking over time. Sure people do it, but who's to say it'll still last a lifetime of miles the way Toyota designed it to?

With plenty of proven bolt on sliders available, there is no advantage to welding a set on.

With plenty of proven bolt on sliders available, there is no advantage to welding a set on.
That makes sense…I’m looking really for the potential disadvantages. Like KDSS like replacement, etc. or anything else my feeble mind can’t comprehend. 😂

Disadvantage: sliders certainly get in the way of servicing ahc components on an lx. May get in the way w 200 for some service at some point.

Welding compounds that issue…because you can’t unbolt them for servicing.

I'd be concerned about potentially weakening the frame. High strength steels don't take well to normal welding as the localized heat creates areas of hydrogen-embrittlement. These areas lose ductility and are more susceptible to fatigue and cracking over time. Sure people do it, but who's to say it'll still last a lifetime of miles the way Toyota designed it to?
Definitely agree with this. Spot on.

When you have rocker damage that requires the sliders to removed to be repaired, one learns that welded sliders are a PITA. I prefer bolt on.

Welding them on is old school. Been done for decades.
They come off easy with a plasma cutter if needed.

There is no big harm in it. Most race trucks weld them on.

It can be done and spread out the heat concentration. This is how I welded some sliders on my mini truck, I put 1/4" plates as backers on the frame, in a diamond shape. Then added a triangular gusset for strength.

P1010088.JPG

But... They were a PITA later when I was having the truck painted. My sliders had outriggers that protected the back of the cab and front of the bed.

Sliders1.jpg

I had to lift the cab and bed off the frame to have it repainted. So, given the choice, I would take bolt on over welded now. My BudBuilt sliders are showing their age and will need to be painted this spring, but I have the option to remove them for powder coating or bedliner.

You live less than an hour away from BudBuilt, have them make you what you want and install them. 👍🏼

I've done weld-on sliders in my old 3rd gen 4runner. The primary advantage is it is the cheapest way to attach a slider. With fish plates and gussets, there is no negative impact to frame strength IMO and even without fish plates, it's highly unlikely you'll damage the frame unless your truck is a rust bucket or you frequently send it like a trophy truck.

My weld-on sliders took the brunt of an aerial flip (rolled the truck entirely in the air and came down on the passenger side slider) and the frame was still perfectly straight and unharmed. I still have these sliders --cut them off and they're sitting in the garage waiting for another project.

That said, there are reasons you would want to remove sliders (bodywork, paint, change directions with the vehicle). Bolt on makes removal and re-installation much less of a hassle and also makes it easier to sell them if you take them off for good.

I agree with those above who recommend bolt on. I'll just add that I would not buy any rig that had, or previously had, weld on sliders. Just another point to consider if you haven't already, resale. I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

You live less than an hour away from BudBuilt, have them make you what you want and install them. 👍🏼
I emailed them some questions a few weeks back and never heard back. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom